All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-03-2010, 03:34 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kontraband View Post
you know theres only so many times you can use that drunk excuse?
Yes your Honour!

Old 16-03-2010, 03:48 PM

angiepea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmth View Post
I take your words on changing the name :P an email? LOL
Looks like he meant it when he said he was going to change his name and leave the country Warmth !!!!

Shall we tell Riverboat ?

(just waiting for Kontraband to move me to community waffle again :P)

Old 22-03-2010, 11:46 PM

riverboat is on a distinguished road
Hi All, i have been unable to access the forums for about a week now.

Right geotagging of photos working much better since installing Maps Booster.

However maps accuracy whilst driving has got MUCH worse.

Hmmmm

Old 23-03-2010, 05:41 AM

warmth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by angiepea View Post
Looks like he meant it when he said he was going to change his name and leave the country Warmth !!!!

Shall we tell Riverboat ?

(just waiting for Kontraband to move me to community waffle again :P)
Lol... well done I guess...

Current: Nokia Lumia 920 [WP8], Nokia Lumia 820 [WP8], HTC 7 Surround T8788 [WP7.8] & Vodafone 858 Smart [Android SmartLucky2.3] | Previous: Nokia Lumia 800, E7-00, X7-00, N8-00, N97, N96, etc.
Official Nokia Suite Beta Tester | Nokia Beta Labs Contributor of the month (June, 2011) | Nokia-news.com & LoveMyNokia.com writer

Old 23-03-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverboat View Post
Hi All, i have been unable to access the forums for about a week now.

Right geotagging of photos working much better since installing Maps Booster.

However maps accuracy whilst driving has got MUCH worse.

Hmmmm
I would blame that useless ian-ross@beeb.n for his duff information when he gets back from Patagonia.

It might be worth installing the very recently updated version of Ovi Maps beta v3.04 which has been getting some positive feed-back on this forum.

http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/ovi-maps-beta-for-mobile

Old 23-03-2010, 10:52 AM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
fadi k is right bchliu.

With Maps Booster used in conjunction with Ovi Maps v3.04 beta, which has added Wi-Fi Networking to its Positioning Methods, it is now possible to get a reasonable position fix even indoors, a la iPone.
Yep.. I'm sure we will use our GPS indoors to locate the toilet too amongst other good ideas of value..

Maps booster isnt available in every country and not avail in Australia.. but I know what it does given I do have an Ipod that tells me my location using same technologies.. Remember too WIFI triangulation is good to 200m only.. AND you need to have a known WIFI point nearby - so if you dont have, then its worthless.

Old 23-03-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchliu View Post
Yep.. I'm sure we will use our GPS indoors to locate the toilet too amongst other good ideas of value..
Hadn't thought of that one... must try it!

Seriously though, the fact that it works indoors is a bonus to things like the AccuWeather widget on Current Location or My Location on Google and Ovi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchliu View Post
Maps booster isnt available in every country and not avail in Australia.. but I know what it does given I do have an Ipod that tells me my location using same technologies.. Remember too WIFI triangulation is good to 200m only.. AND you need to have a known WIFI point nearby - so if you dont have, then its worthless.
You're right bchliu, some areas, at present are not covered by Maps Booster, I believe Canada and Saudi Arabia amongst others are not at present covered. Although their network is expanding rapidly.

To see if your area/country is covered you can check here:-

http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/coverage.php

I find that Maps Booster is a big benefit in cities and urban areas where a GPS lock may be blocked or degraded by buildings.

Last edited by ironass; 24-03-2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: update

Old 29-03-2010, 01:25 PM

I can report that the Maps Booster program will give you about 80% success rate in geo-tagging photos, however the trade off for me, is that when driving, the whole maps thing and navigation just falls apart.

If i'm standing still i get a pretty good lock, down to within a few meters, when i start walking it's not too bad, and i can actually get the green compass icon to stay on.
Last night when setting off for work, maps varied my speed between 147mph/4mph/54mph or even 0 mph when actually what i was doing was a constant 30mph. The green compass goes into now you see me now you don't, causing the maps to constantly swing wildly about.
And worse off all where driving gave me a very good lock (about 10-15 meters out on any passing side roads, i now have a driving lock out by about 300 meters.

So therefore i can geotag my photo's fine but cannot take advantage of the satnav part of the phone. (this is with using standard maps and the betas)

It's just so annoying, to be almost there, but not quite.

When's the next firmware update due?, at least i will have another reson to delete everything, and hard reset it.

Old 29-03-2010, 01:35 PM

GremlinUK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverboat View Post
I can report that the Maps Booster program will give you about 80% success rate in geo-tagging photos, however the trade off for me, is that when driving, the whole maps thing and navigation just falls apart.

If i'm standing still i get a pretty good lock, down to within a few meters, when i start walking it's not too bad, and i can actually get the green compass icon to stay on.
Last night when setting off for work, maps varied my speed between 147mph/4mph/54mph or even 0 mph when actually what i was doing was a constant 30mph. The green compass goes into now you see me now you don't, causing the maps to constantly swing wildly about.
And worse off all where driving gave me a very good lock (about 10-15 meters out on any passing side roads, i now have a driving lock out by about 300 meters.

So therefore i can geotag my photo's fine but cannot take advantage of the satnav part of the phone. (this is with using standard maps and the betas)

It's just so annoying, to be almost there, but not quite.

When's the next firmware update due?, at least i will have another reson to delete everything, and hard reset it.
I'm finding the same thing with Maps Booster. Works great when you need it (ie indoors) but used with Ovi Maps, it affects accuracy really badly. It's as though it argues with the GPS signal instead of only kicking in when it's needed. I have had to disable Mapsbooster in Positioning methods and only enable it when absolutely needed.

Old 29-03-2010, 03:10 PM

TurtlePower is on a distinguished road
I've noticed that it can take 5 minutes when driving to settle down and work - when it gets to this point it works really well.

i think it may be that maps booster and the inbuilt wifi location software (am running beta labs 3.04 version) work well in a reasonably static enviroment (home/walking) but once you up the ante and start driving it can't keep pace so well hence jumping about (my highest speed was 180 mph in a 30 mph zone ).

Once a good satellite lock is achieved then it transitions to a stable and accurate condition - the problem is that there is no indication to tell you when you reach this point.

From what i understand the beta labs team are looking at changing the way different locks are indicated on the screen

i am only aware of a cell site lock indication which is shown by a red halo surrounding the position dot - this expands and contracts with percieved accuracy. There is mention of changing the colour of the position dot to indicate which lock type is in use which will allow you to determine what level of "trust" you have in the indicated location.

Old 29-03-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinUK View Post
I'm finding the same thing with Maps Booster. Works great when you need it (ie indoors) but used with Ovi Maps, it affects accuracy really badly. It's as though it argues with the GPS signal instead of only kicking in when it's needed. I have had to disable Mapsbooster in Positioning methods and only enable it when absolutely needed.

I'm SO glas i'm not the only one experiencing this, i have uninstalled maps booster, but i intend to write to skyhook and see if they are aware of this, perhaps others could join in, not to bitch about it, but to try to resolve the issue.

I know it's all linked in, but when i take a photo, the gps indicator comes up so it seems as if it's downloading the geotag info, but it doesn't seem to apply it too the image. (and yes, geotagging is still switched on)
Ads

Old 06-04-2010, 09:09 AM

Well i've tried all sorts of things and settings, and no matter what i do, i can't get it to geotag photos.
The annoying thing is the gps signal/sign comes up in the top right hand corner of the phone, it just doesn't attach the tag!

Old 06-04-2010, 09:41 AM

Just a thought riverboat.

Another possible explanation for both of your problems could be a faulty GPS antennae and shielding.

This is a well documented problem with some N97's, particularly those manufactured in the first six months or so.

Have you had your handset looked at by a Nokia Care Centre?

It might be worth eliminating this as a possibility first.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:49 PM

No, mine is clear of that problem, and from what i can remember that had issues all the time with navigation etc....i have none of that, get lock within 10 seconds and pretty much spot on for driving/navigation.

I have even turned on the "location" program, to insure i have a gps signal before taking the picture, but still no luck

Old 06-04-2010, 04:24 PM

Just for the hell of it... could you turn off just "Integrated GPS" in Positioning methods but leave Maps Booster, Assisted GPS, Wi-Fi/Network and Network based enabled.

Then see if this still finds your location and is more accurate with driving.

You could also check your photo geo-tagging at the same time.