All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 14-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia X6 Review: pt 3, Life through a Lens

Ewan continues his multipart look at the new Nokia X6 Comes with Music. Part 1 of this review looked at the X6's externals, while part 2 was heavily critical of the core Music player and performance. In this, part 3, he looks at the X6's camera and photography functions - can even the X6 transform Ewan into photographer of the year?

Read on in the full article.

Old 14-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Err... no.
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 14-01-2010, 10:57 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer I think

I see your problem right there .. see those 2 LED thingys .. well one of em needs to be a Big XENON !!! .. ok nuff said

Old 14-01-2010, 12:56 PM

Hurlley is on a distinguished road
Oh ohh I see a xenon vs led fight starting again. Ewan you are quite right but I don't think it was worth mentioning, it's not a phone made for imaging so I wouldn't expect it.

I think I should make the xenon points now.

Xenon is undeniably better, how well LED is doing is besides the point, for a phone like this it is a very good point, and can be compared with past LED lights, for an imaging flagship argument it holds no ground

the argument of size to fit in a xenon is not valid the nokia 6220 classic was very thin

nokia have clearly run into some sort of competition issue? It just seems all too fishy to me that nokia have decided to pull xenon. Notice how nokia quickly without need pulled the 6220 classic and replaced it with the 6720 ( I think it's called) it's pretty much identical minus the xenon.

Once again it does not matter for most phones nokia release but since they call the n86 their flagship imaging device, complaints should be expected.

Old 14-01-2010, 01:55 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
I think you've glancingly hit the nail on the head Ewan

One reason the X6 is basically the same as the 5800-N97/N97mini (especially the later two) and the reason I think they have repeated the glaring hardware and software faults of the N97's is that they DO have most of their resources working on either Maemo and it's next generations or SF^3 but mostly SF^4 and related handsets. Therefore are trying to change as little on the hardware platform as possible (like leaving woeful RAM level unchanged) so they don't have to allocate extra resources to changing code on an already dead platform to bring out new handsets. I can't believe they haven't realised that the N97's and the X6 don't really cut it but have released them as interim measures on what is basically the 5800 platform (which in itself was an interim measure based on old platform) whilst they get modern generation platforms together.

Which is unfortunate for those who pay 449 for an X6 (even allowing for CWM) and those who bought into the N97 as a flagship models. They're all very poor. Nokia better pray the new iPhone isn't as good as rumours imply or their new platforms are unbelievable and they're not caught aiming at the previous generation iPhone only to be caught with their pants down by the new generation release again.

Old 14-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Unregistered

X6, not having a Xenon flash considering it ain't a camera-centric device is forgivable. But being way overpriced, even more expensive than the flagship N97 is just simply pointless! I don't see this device following the success of 5800 or even N97.

Old 14-01-2010, 02:26 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurlley View Post
Oh ohh I see a xenon vs led fight starting again. Ewan you are quite right but I don't think it was worth mentioning, it's not a phone made for imaging so I wouldn't expect it.

I think I should make the xenon points now.

Xenon is undeniably better, how well LED is doing is besides the point, for a phone like this it is a very good point, and can be compared with past LED lights, for an imaging flagship argument it holds no ground

the argument of size to fit in a xenon is not valid the nokia 6220 classic was very thin

nokia have clearly run into some sort of competition issue? It just seems all too fishy to me that nokia have decided to pull xenon. Notice how nokia quickly without need pulled the 6220 classic and replaced it with the 6720 ( I think it's called) it's pretty much identical minus the xenon.

Once again it does not matter for most phones nokia release but since they call the n86 their flagship imaging device, complaints should be expected.
Good points, and very well made.

Its not an imaging device, but the camera is basically a 3 year old design. Which is pretty poor, especially for the price. Also the LEDs are in the wrong place - they should be by the side or above. Not below. Putting them below tends to make pictures look a little unnatural.

The N86 didn't have Xenon due to "size". Which is a little bizarre, as the N82 isn't exactly what you'd call huge, neither are other such as the C905.

However Nokia are in dire need of something to give their range a bit of flash (excuse the poor pun). The 5530, 5800, X6, N97 and N97 mini all have the same resolution screen, same processor and same memory - the only differentiations are minor differences in other hardware, and they're charging one helluva lot for those minor differences.

I know that there is a lot more to a camera than pixel counts, but Nokias flagship has 8mp and LEDs, the SE flagship has Xenon and LED. Hellooooo Nokia, do you actually have a clue, or is your collective head still up your collective corporate back side.

I've seriously liked some of the Nokia products over the years - my N73 and N95 are still running well, but the 5800 was basically a UI disaster after what seemed to be promised from their original ideas, it seemed like a hastily put together stop gap.

I was kinda hoping that the X6 would be the one to correct some of this - sadly it really isn't.
Ads

Old 14-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Unregistered

The Apple flagship (V4 in July) is rumoured to have an LED flash - this decision made because of the physical 'footprint'.

The Nexus one has LED.

The Motorola Droid/Milestone had LED.

The flagship HTC WinMo phone (can't remember what it is called) has LED.

The X6 is a music phone. The natural choice is LED. No capacitor recharge, no high voltages, and stay-on flashight mode, less environmental and green manufacture issues (remember Nokia holds an award for green initiatives), longer life on average and more robust.

The people making these decisions are not the 0.001% of phone buyers obsessed with Xenon. They are the ones that know that the dfference xenon makes really isn't all that important to the vast majority and have very real budgetary, marketing and engineering concerns to deal with. Not just armchair evangelism and keyboard campaining.

Old 14-01-2010, 03:45 PM

raffmonster is on a distinguished road
@Ewan

Why is the photo of the plate of fruits looking dreamy and hazy. Do you have finger grease/muck on the lens window?

Old 14-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
"Why is the photo of the plate of fruits looking dreamy and hazy. Do you have finger grease/muck on the lens window?" Tempted to say 'Because Ewan took it', but that would be cruel, so I'll keep a tactful silence. 8-)

Old 14-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
"Why is the photo of the plate of fruits looking dreamy and hazy. Do you have finger grease/muck on the lens window?" Tempted to say 'Because Ewan took it', but that would be cruel, so I'll keep a tactful silence. 8-)
It would be true, though.
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 14-01-2010, 06:36 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Aaaaaah

Old 14-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

The X6 is a music phone. The natural choice is LED. No capacitor recharge, no high voltages, and stay-on flashight mode, less environmental and green manufacture issues (remember Nokia holds an award for green initiatives), longer life on average and more robust.

The people making these decisions are not the 0.001% of phone buyers obsessed with Xenon. They are the ones that know that the dfference xenon makes really isn't all that important to the vast majority and have very real budgetary, marketing and engineering concerns to deal with. Not just armchair evangelism and keyboard campaining.
More robust? What do you actually mean by that? Sorry but the most robust phone ever made by Nokia is the N82 (xenon), period! I would challenge anyone on that. Let do a 'drop on concrete' test or whatever. Anyway, I'm not obsessed with xenon. It's not important to me, but it's nice to have.

Old 14-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
More robust? What do you actually mean by that? Sorry but the most robust phone ever made by Nokia is the N82 (xenon), period! I would challenge anyone on that. Let do a 'drop on concrete' test or whatever. Anyway, I'm not obsessed with xenon. It's not important to me, but it's nice to have.
The N82 is strong because it is necessary to provide a strong unit to protect the xenon flash unit. This, of course, costs a lot more to manufacture.

The drop on concrete test should be the flash units on their own. An LED and a XENON bulb/Capacitor/High voltage coil combimnation. Which do you think is the easiest to protect?

In identical casing, LED will do best.

Old 14-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Unregistered

The fact that even the current crop of Windows Mobile phones now offer a far more pleasing UI (Although admittedly out of the box they are in many ways even more confused than S60) really should be a huge embarrassment to Nokia, the amount of ground they have lost over the last year with Symbian is nothing short of staggering. Not only do Maemo 6 and Symbian ^4 need to be staggeringly good, they need to work well from straight out of the box because otherwise Nokia are seriously running the risk of suffering the same fate as Motorola and Sony Ericsson. Whilst I've gotten along quite well with my N97, rather a lot of people haven't, people tend to remember when they get burned by a 500 quid handset. Brand Loyalty doesn't last very long these days.

Seb