All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Ayush3090

well yea obv they shouldn't
but its not there in X6.........so theres obviously no chance for 5800 to get it ;-D

Old 13-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Ayush3090

ovi store doesn't work now btw :(

Old 13-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Unregistered

called bowman

"What is the reason, in your opinion, for keeping every device on different OS, with different features and included software ?"

5800 will never have the same software capability as N97 because the software is part of the package that you paid for. The cost of hardware is nothing. The fact that Nokia charges more for N97 is to pay back for the development effort required to build the software in the first place. A more premium experience is not always justified by underlying hardware alone.

It always amazes me the sense of entitlement some people have. Sounds like someone who has never had to work - or lives off government subsidies.

Old 13-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Unregistered

I agree with previous comment about paying for software, but common, the 5800/5530 homescreen is half-baked. The homescreen is the reason I trade up to N97. But one of the reason I like 5800 was the almost full screen calendar/contact. I agree with reviews that the original 5800 homescreen was schizophrenic. The X6 homescreen is def. an improvement, but they completely remove the calendar screen. That's just bad SW decision. WTF??

Old 13-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Unregistered

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
"What is the reason, in your opinion, for keeping every device on different OS, with different features and included software ?"

5800 will never have the same software capability as N97 because the software is part of the package that you paid for. The cost of hardware is nothing. The fact that Nokia charges more for N97 is to pay back for the development effort required to build the software in the first place. A more premium experience is not always justified by underlying hardware alone.

It always amazes me the sense of entitlement some people have. Sounds like someone who has never had to work - or lives off government subsidies.
Wow This a business model and strategy decision. I happen to know a hardware making company named Apple that has THE SAME os version on each computer (from cheap Mac Mini up to the most expensive Mac Pro) and on each phone and seems to make some money (last time I checked has >30 billion USD in cash).

Old 13-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Unregistered

Question

Quote:
I agree with previous comment about paying for software, but common, the 5800/5530 homescreen is half-baked. The homescreen is the reason I trade up to N97. But one of the reason I like 5800 was the almost full screen calendar/contact. I agree with reviews that the original 5800 homescreen was schizophrenic. The X6 homescreen is def. an improvement, but they completely remove the calendar screen. That's just bad SW decision. WTF??
What does it have to do with paying for software - doesn't it cost Nokia MORE to develop several home screens, different for each phone line?

Old 13-01-2010, 08:19 PM
payaxy

half-hearted thx to Nokia (for half-hearted effort)

The new and "improved" homescreen is not bad EXCEPT NO CALENDAR!!! Come on, Nokia, who's "great idea" was it?

A homescreen without calendar is useless for me, and I'm guessing a lot of others as well :(

At the place where the calendar usually is there is this wierd empty UI element, what's that supposed to mean?

Fortunately, there is still an option of having Handy shell installed for improved and functional! homescreen.

On the other hand, automatic switching to QWERTY works great (finally) and is probably the best improvement brought by this update, for me anyway...

Kinetic scrolling works pretty well, except it's not consistently employed throughout the phone, so once again Nokia is successfully confusing their users, sigh... First the "one click or double click" issue, and now this. 5th edition is really a mess, isn't it.

I'll be waiting with my phone upgrade till Symbian^3 comes, last chance to keep me, Nokia, so you better shape up! ;-)
Ads

Old 13-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Unregistered

I had previously hacked my product code to Euro 1 Red so I could get updates earlier, then the 5800 went in for warranty repair for the screen problem. They did the repair under warranty no problem, so changing the product code DOES NOT affect warranty. However, the phone came back repaired with the product code rest to the original one, so I've just had to hack it again to get V40. So glad I did because it all works beautifully with V40 and I am so happy with it. My purchase of a N97 mini has been called off!

All apps and contact data have been preserved too. Nokia really have got this one sorted. The behaviour that some people are complaining about is exactly the same as the 5530. This puts the 5800 in line with the similarly numbered unit. If you want home screen widgets you need an N97.

SO PLEASED!!!!

Old 13-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Unregistered

This is the 5530 user interface software ported to the 5800.

Old 13-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hih View Post
And the change-log is?

I can not understand Nokia or AAS.

If you publish it, please tell us the changes.
It is published. I can not understand people who expect to be spoon fed. Google, 10 seconds, stop being so lazy.

◦Kinetic scrolling everywhere except: main menu, application menu, browser;
◦Home style widget with Nokia 5530;
◦if you rotate the phone horizontally on messages, it automatically activates the QWERTY keyboard;
◦Refresh Icons “Sharing Online”, “Configuring Accessories”, “Configure Phone”;
◦Improved application “Updating Applications”, which also renames Upgrade SW;
◦The application “Data transfer” was also implemented in “Settings”;
◦Real Player Updated to 12 October 2009;
◦Touch more responsive;
◦Improved stability;

Old 13-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayush3090 View Post
ovi store doesn't work now btw :(
Yes it does work.

Old 13-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
We've all been waiting a long time for some of those features, and most of us will have to wait even longer. As usual, the update isn't available for all the 5800s in the world at the same time. It's not available for Nordic models, and if they follow the standard set by the previous updates, it will not be able for another 2-3 months. Funny, I thought Nokia was a Nordic brand...
Change to product code 0558982 and have V40 today.

Old 13-01-2010, 11:30 PM

wigs is on a distinguished road
I have just installed v40 but not able to get the shortcuts bar or contacts bar to work on my 5800. When I set either option my phone just reverts to basic. Has anyone else had this problem or anyone have any ideas to fix this please?
My phone is hacked and did a full reset hoping that this may help.

Old 13-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
It is published....
That looks remarkably like the unofficial changelog from Daily Mobile, as opposed to a Nokia sourcced file - still , they are some (all?) of the changes, and it is a log :-)
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 14-01-2010, 04:32 AM
Unregistered

EUPHORIA: Kinetic Scrolling for 5800

Woah. This is a really good news! I thought Nokia will not provide kinetic scrolling to their 5800 not to spoil the market value of the N97 and X6. And the 5530 homescreen which I crave to have because it almost have all the homescreen themes of previous firmware in one.. <gasps>

Maybe Nokia thought on how popular 5800 since now and give this reward to loyal owners of this phone. I was so relieved and surprised by this news. I cannot wait to have this update available here in the Philippines. I am going to contact Nokia Care immediately to ask. Hehe.

I cannot contain my excitement. Can anyone describe the feeling of having kinetic scrolling for almost every part of the OS? Hehe. Does pop-up menus have kinetic scrolling too? Does Gallery have it. These two upgrades (homescreen & kinetic scrolling) might sound few but done a big weight on phone ease of navigation.

Is the Music Player now stable? I wish file corruption will be minimized.

I also wanted a more organized Gallery. Like a folder management that unified in File Manager.

Thank you for this. It is now another reason why I'm not replacing my 5800 sooner especially after reading the near-failing partial reviews of Mr. Ewan of the Nokia x6 (my potential 5800 replacement). Hehe.

I understand why Nokia 5800 took this long to have these improvements but the X6, after all the touchscreen phones, I know you can provide improvements before the X6 have fully surface the whole market. Thank you, Nokia.

~Marvin from Philippines