All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 09-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy "Rock Solid Messaging"

I'm afraid naming any e-mail solution Nokia currently offers as "rock solid messaging" is a bridge too far. I've tried both the built-in and Nokia Messaging clients on a number of devices and with several accounts. Although I really admire Nokia's hardware, the company seem totally uncapable of coming up with a decent e-mail client that handles IMAP like Profimail or MS Exchange like Blackberry.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:25 AM
Jouten

Wink E51 = perfect, e75 = damn close

My wife and I both had the E51. Perfect phone for what it was. The E51 exemplified the saying, "Big Things can come in Small Packages". I have tried the 5800, it's a nice little gadget phone. It was my gateway 'drug' to the touchscreen market. However, I was annoyed at the 5800's software and I soon turned traitor and bought an HTC Hero (Euro Import). My wife loves her E51, but I bought her an E75 and now she is delighted to have all that the E51 had and she can now use a full HW keyboard. She's a text monster now! LOL! BTW, I do have a Nokia 5730 as my 'backup' phone. It's a gorgeous, very fun to use text messenger/music phone. And Steve...I did a DIY mod to the back battery cover by drilling speaker holes into it. Sounds like a champ now ;0)

As for this E72 thing... I honestly think that the E71 looked better, and is better built too.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:10 AM

bawjkt is on a distinguished road
lower-res display and worse keyboard than E70

I noticed the first thing Steve said in the review was that he was able to suppress the urge to pan this phone for having a mere QVGA screen in late 2009.

He had the self-control and steely nerves to get over that gargantuan shortcoming. To be able to continue to write the review and serve the readers.

I can't ! It's a whole-body reflex of rejection and disgust.

Still flogging a QVGA display in 2009? ? ? What a relic !

My E70 from *three and a half years ago* has a higher res display and a better keyboard. If you're going to feed me a crap screen, you'd better up the keyboard.

I remember seeing the E71 come out two years after the E70, glancing at my E70 and thinking "OK worse keyboard, lower-res screen ... why would I pay for that?"

It was a downgrade back in 2008 ! And they're still perpetuating it?

I've been a fervent Nokia fanboy over the years but they have really lost the plot.

the GM of the phone industry. Packing the fossil known as Symbian.

Samsung touchscreens are outselling Nokia by three to one.

Let the slaughter by Samsung continue, Nokia has been earning it. No innovation !

If you can't innovate, you have to at least deliver on features & specs, which E72 does not.

Nokia-Siemens Networks is also going into shock at the hands of Huawei. Overfed and monolithic. Sign of the times.

I'm waiting for a big OLED Android from Samsung, likely packing HDMI-out.

My sympathies to the All About Symbian crew - the excitement and innovation of 2006-era Symbian was the heyday.

Reporting on Symbian is increasingly like reading an issue of Pontiac Excitement - wow, now you can get a GPS *and* rack-and-pinion steering in an American car...

E72 is just so underwhelming yet it's a current release !

Old 10-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Unkempt

Thumbs down Had one for a few days, returned it...

Hi everyone

Nice E72 review, thanks Steve. I had one for a few days before returning it to the store. I liked the size and excellent battery life. I found the keyboard was quite good, but took some getting used to (particularly the position of the 'M' and 'N' keys, which I found too far offset to towards the centre). I loved the speed of the device in use, when browsing and when using data-enabled apps like Google Maps.

I returned it because Nokia's core applications are horrible compared to my existing phone (Blackberry Bold 9000): Mail is clunky, rendered with ugly jagged text and the body seems to not be automatically downloaded in my testing (GMail). I found that the headphone jack doesn't work well with many wired headsets with microphones: the BlackBerry Premium Headset and the iPhone Mic'd Headphones work with BlackBerry, iPhone, iPod Touch and most other phones... but not on the E72: with the BB 'phones, the volume is 25% and only reaches the right level when you press and hold the answer button on the mic.

BTW, the answer button on the headset mic doesn't work for answering an incoming call either. So you have to use the ugly uncomfortable Nokia headset, or you are SOL.

Overall, using the E72 for business felt like taking a step backwards compared to BlackBerry. You can't deny that BlackBerry's core apps (Mail, SMS, Contacts and Calendar) are lightning quick to browse and search, and the build quality of the 9000 and the newer 9700 is far higher than the E72. The 'chin' plate on the front of the device, below the keyboard, was a little loose and kept clicking and creaking with the lightest touch. It's a cheap solution to allow network operators to brand their handsets, and it shows.
Ads

Old 10-12-2009, 01:42 PM
markilou

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayalex View Post
Haven't used a Nokia since the e71 earlier this year. I have a copy of the Podcasting application as a "sis" file, version 1.00.3. Would I be able to install that on the E72? If not, does the onboard Nokia Music player handle playing podcasts as I have a podcast "smartlist" that I could probably transfer via the Nokia Mac iTunes sync tool.
no, the nokia app doesn't work on FP2 models. Alternative (like Steve said) is Escarpod, not on OVI as yet.

yes the Music Player hhandles the podcasts (as MP3s) and you can transfer them from iTunes (I advise to use Salling Media Transfer if you're on Mac by the way). However the good thing about a podcasting app is that you don't need connection to download and make sure you allways have the latest of your favourite podcast on the phone.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:53 PM

jon_iz is on a distinguished road
Angry E72 - MfE app FLAWED!

Noting one of the earlier anonymous postings, who states:

"There have been changes in ActiveSync code in Mail for Exchange. This means 100% MS Exchange compatibility as usual"

Well, that's not quite true... Whilst it now has the ability to view other mailbox mail folders and the ability to send meeting requests via Exchange, which are all big pluses, it has one fatal flaw..

Compatibility with Exchange 2003.

Normally (for all other installable iterations of MfE) you can scroll down a message and when you get to the end of the first 2KB or so, the device will download the rest of the content.
Not so on the embedded MfE app in the E72 (and latest firmware on the E75 I believe too).
When you get to the end of the email, the device says:

--------------Fetching content

This is then followed by a pop up which says:

Mail for Exchange

Security policy that allows
downloading HTML messages is
disabled

This has never been experienced with the other installable variants of MfE. There are no settings in the phone to set HTML or Text options for mail in the MfE client.

More than that, Exchange 2003 doesn't actually support HTML messaging for OMA applications, so I am pretty sure this is not a server config issue. We do not suffer this on any other device, and i have used with good success the following S60 devices: E63, E65, E71, N95, 5800, and around 6 different types of WinMo devices and iPhones on our Exchange Server.

Right now i have 10 unhappy Exchange users!!

It also seems I am not alone, as there are a few threads on the Nokia discussions pages, with a plethora of other users with the same problem.

More disappointingly, all the emails I have send to Nokia Support remain unacknowledged, so the more people that discover and shout about this issue the better!

So if anyone from Nokia is reading this - Steve Lichfield has my email address - please get in touch and let me know when this show stopper of a bug will get fixed, as it will kill this phone as a corporate device if Nokia are not careful!

Old 10-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Unregistered

MfE with Exchange 2003

I did mention this Exchange 2003 incompatibility issue in my earlier post (#27 of this thread) so I cannot agree more, jon_iz , thanks for drawing attention on this pb.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:50 PM

murrayalex is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by markilou View Post
no, the nokia app doesn't work on FP2 models. Alternative (like Steve said) is Escarpod, not on OVI as yet.

yes the Music Player hhandles the podcasts (as MP3s) and you can transfer them from iTunes (I advise to use Salling Media Transfer if you're on Mac by the way). However the good thing about a podcasting app is that you don't need connection to download and make sure you allways have the latest of your favourite podcast on the phone.
Thanks for that tip, I will try it out. I see it syncs iTunes playlists which is great. I have a "smart" playlist set up in iTunes which, every time I open the mac application, downloads and transfers the latest episode of my 5 favourite Podcasts into the "playlist" and then I just sync that to my phone. Saves me having to download and organise them on my phone. I reckon I could just do this on the E72.
If anyone needs instructions on how to do this let me know.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:22 PM

jon_iz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I did mention this Exchange 2003 incompatibility issue in my earlier post (#27 of this thread) so I cannot agree more, jon_iz , thanks for drawing attention on this pb.
Oh Yes.. Sorry I missed it first time..
As i said, the more exposure to this the better..

Old 10-12-2009, 09:56 PM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
As an N97 owner, and with it being my first touch screen device, I have come to my own conclusion.

If you want a sexy looking phone, with easy to use Ui go for a capcitive screen. If you want a solid performing phone, then I reckon non touchscreens are the way to go. I'm seriosuly tempted by the E72, as I like a physical qwerty keybaord, having gotten used to the one on the N97. At the moment, the N97 is running ok, but it's taen five months to get it to that level. I reckon the E72 is only just lacking a little in what the N97 offers, but makes up for it in otehr ways - BUT, it's all down to what the user wants out of their phone, how they intend to use it etc .

Any know if the E72 has a ' TV Out' function?
RM-530
E72-1

Old 11-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Unregistered

it's just a phone

Does it really matter whether someone says the phone sucks. It's just a phone. A device that I make a living with.

Old 17-12-2009, 06:59 AM
Unregistered

Noise cancellation?

> Active noise cancellation for calls

Hmm... so this E72 has active noise cancellation.

Does it have the same noise cancellation problem as the E52/E55?

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...cending&page=1

Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks!

Old 17-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Unregistered

E72 vs N97

How about the main difference in both being that e72 comes with full version of office suite and n97 with trial one ???, what say PPl, and also I am not sure but, nokia e52 may come with lifetime licence of its proprietory software nokia email lifetime free licence. but the office difference is surely there, and thats a big boost, at least for the business user

Old 18-12-2009, 08:43 AM
John_B

Ram

To be honest, I am annoyed about ram allocation too. How can we expect better apps to come out if the ram has decreased.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Luis - Portugal

Dust thing...

That dust problem is really an issue. I have an E71 with lots of dust under the screen...