All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 08-12-2009, 02:57 PM
markilou

accelerometer non touch screen

Steve, are you sure this is an accelerometer ? isn't it just an optical contact sensor (near the front camera) to flip the phone to silent and repeat the alarm ? I have tried rotating the phone in all the apps and nothing happens (no accelerometer settings visible either so I'm not sure about this being an accelerometer).

Regarding touch screen I agree it gives a better user experience (I do miss my 5800 for web browsing) but I didn't any touch screen phone whose battery would last through even one day of my heavy use:
* 3G or WIFI connected all day (push email on) + Bluetooth connected all day (headphones+PC * suite)
* 2-3 few hours of calls (VoIP & GSM)
* 1-2 hours of podcast (yeah, downloaded with Escarpod too... let's make a joint donation for a podcast app developper!)
* a little Maps and other multimedia stuff

well, the fact is: my E72 actually gets me through 2 days of this use !!

Give me just one touchscreen+qwerty keyboard that does the same with similar (or smaller!!)dimensions I'll buy it right away. in the meantime I'll stick to this E72 (probably one of the the best phones I've had so far).
Ads

Old 08-12-2009, 03:29 PM

mhero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by markilou View Post

Give me just one touchscreen+qwerty keyboard that does the same with similar (or smaller!!)dimensions I'll buy it right away. in the meantime I'll stick to this E72 (probably one of the the best phones I've had so far).
Amen !

Old 08-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Unregistered

I have tested this phone myself, and I think Steve forgot to mention a few things.

- like the 'light leaks' under the screen? Those gaps under the screen also is a problem in the future - because it lets in dust! Much like the E71 before it, the E72 will most likely have the same "dust under the screen" problems. Poor build quality for an E series!!
- plus a number of owners have reported that the battery cover is loose!
- a number of owners also reported that after some time of using the phone - the flashlight (spacebar) wont light up. And restarting the phone is the only thing to solve it.
- the music quality is crap. Compared the phone to a 5800, the 5800 sounds so much better.
- the vibration is very weak
- lastly, the 5mp cam is bad, it's worse than most other 5mp cameras of nokia. When you take a picture, especially in bright light, you'll get a purple hue in the middle of the photo.

The N97 Mini is very much better than this, imo.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:09 PM

mhero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have tested this phone myself, and I think Steve forgot to mention a few things.

- like the 'light leaks' under the screen? Those gaps under the screen also is a problem in the future - because it lets in dust! Much like the E71 before it, the E72 will most likely have the same "dust under the screen" problems. Poor build quality for an E series!!
- plus a number of owners have reported that the battery cover is loose!
- a number of owners also reported that after some time of using the phone - the flashlight (spacebar) wont light up. And restarting the phone is the only thing to solve it.
- the music quality is crap. Compared the phone to a 5800, the 5800 sounds so much better.
- the vibration is very weak
- lastly, the 5mp cam is bad, it's worse than most other 5mp cameras of nokia. When you take a picture, especially in bright light, you'll get a purple hue in the middle of the photo.

The N97 Mini is very much better than this, imo.
Are you an owner of e72 yourself? If not, Iīm impressed by all bad info you have about this device ..
Iīve tested the device and the camera is almost as good as my N82 and thatīs quite impressive.
Vibration weak? Well itīs not a sex toy ..
Battery cover is not that loose, but itīs true, you can remove the battery cover so you are able to change the battery etc.
Music quality according to some reviews are all right, just use the right earplugs .

Old 08-12-2009, 06:35 PM

udewal is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down One more omission ?

Steve,

This one is for your list of programs that were left behind, there's no IM client as in E71. I use that to keep myself up on yahoo while on the move and it works like a charm. It does the work when I'm away from comp. I know there are too many free IM apps available but nothing beats the convenience of the built in app.

Regards

Umesh

Old 08-12-2009, 06:46 PM

smellati is on a distinguished road
Typical, They make a new phone with less free ram than the one before it. We've seen this before, and it didnt work out.

You would think they would learn from their mistakes (N97) but it seems like my e71 will still be a better workhorse device than its newer counter part.

And I think its just sad for AAS to make up excuses for why its ok that they've made an inferior device. It seems like we have another "N97" on our hands.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Some replies:

re: RAM. Come on, 45MB of RAM is still fine for this class of device. it's lower than for the E71 because the OS is larger and does more stuff. Apart from Podcasting.... rant.

re: 'light leaks' . Well, there are more moving, backlit parts, I don't think the leaks are too bad on the E72.

re: gaps under the screen lets in dust. Really? I haven't heard of this as a problem with the E71. Too early to tell with this model anyway.

re: battery cover is loose: not loose, so much as flexible and able to be bent/compressed. Annoying though, you'd have thought that the parts would have been matched up better.

re: music quality. Go try it with decent headphones.

re: still to be tested properly, but doesn't look too bad so far

Old 08-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Unregistered

If I really wanted to become a fanboy of non-Nokia qwerty phones, I can point out tons of negative aspects of E72.
1- It does not have xenon
2- It does not have a dedicated music chip, music quality sux even though call quality is good
3- The processor is rahter slow, I would want 1ghz
4- It does not have HD video recording
5- The battery is not 2500 mAh ....

If I wanted, I could make this amazing device look like a shitty piece of hardware. That is what few comments above have been trying to do. Whining that E72 lacks this and that. Unrealistic expectations from a business-oriented phone which is not really focussed on delivering top-notch media output quality.

E72 amazingly does what it was supposed to do. After e55/e52, E71/E72 are the best phones every built by Nokia. Versatility. Dependability. Connectivity. They have everything.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:38 AM
yitwave

RE: Okay, Steve, you can stop going on about Podcasting now, by now we all know you are upset about its omission...

I agree. Steve, the current smartphones do NOT need all features in the box at point of sale. Going forward, its OK to miss things out as long as the phone itself ... JUST WORKS. Buyers will goto the OVI store and try to find things support that its missing. In fact it is in Nokia's interest to miss glaringly obvious and required software SO IT CAN TELL PEOPLE TO GOTO OVI. To me this is a strategy, not an obmission.

Smartphones nowadays are not about having everything in the box so the functionality is covered. Smarphone for 2009 are about having all the HW components available, so that Nokia and all other S/W companies can take advantage of the common APIs available.

That is why Nokia is focusin on UI improvements, and not functionality improvements (which they always have been focusing in the past).

Old 09-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Unregistered

hi steve,

in E71, email & sms can be stored at memory card.
in E72 is it the same or only sms can be stored at memory card ?

thanks

Old 09-12-2009, 07:59 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
I agree with yitwave. Applications like podcast (or IM) can always be offered as free Nokia appas through the OVI store. Its better that Nokia concentrates on getting the phone right.

All Nokia phones now come preloaded with a link to the OVI store. Any user can just click on it and access the apps that are recommended for the phone. This is how we used to do it 4 odd years ago. Buy a phone, go to the nokia site and download extra apps for the phone.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:10 PM
markilou

I would like to believe that it is not an obmission and that Nokia expects its users to go to the OVI store but... there is no Podcasting app on the OVI store for the E72 !!

Also, as far as professional/integrated features is concerned (i.e where the E72 is supposed to meet our expectatives), unfortunately the current firmware version has a lot of bugs: VoIP is a buggy (harder to set-up and unable to unregister a SIP service manually you have to turn the phone off and reboot it in off-line mode) and so is the email client (MfE with Exchange 2003 doesn't let you view messages > 2kb or Gmail IMAP set-up not working from the integrated configuration E72 tool).

I know we can expect a firmware update to solve these bugs but most ex E71/E51 users going to the E72 have been very disappointed and getting angry with those bugs (from my own experience and reading/participation in the Nokia forums). Although I like the phone I can only advise the non-geek/nevertheless_demanding professionals out there to stick to their current phone untill the E72 is updated... (I've been about to send it back quite a few times since I got it)

Old 09-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Unregistered

Angry 15fps?

What's Nokia excuse this time to reduce video recording from 30fps in the E75 to 15fps in the E72? I wonder why they seem to delight so much in forcing users to unnecessarily compromise between form factors and technical features for a given category. So you rather have an E71 factor but went for the E75 because of the most advanced specifications both at hardware and software level. Now you are ready to jump ship to the E72 as the best of both worlds but, oh lord, have to go back to a 50% less video recording frame rate. What's the logic behind it?

Same for the N-Series. You are shown a N97 mini and a regular N97. You are keen on the extra screen real space and built-in storage and happy to pay the difference. But, on reading the small print, you realize you'll also get a half-size main memory. Who on earth has decided that? Could you imagine Apple selling the 32GB iPhone with half the RAM as the 16GB?

Of course the same happens at software level, with apps like internet radio or podcasting. I don't know for you, but this turns what should be a very simple selection process in an agonizing experience for me. The predictable result is that instead of buying a Nokia, as I've always done, went for an HTC Hero this time. If anything because I could made a rational decision on which was 'the best' model on offer.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:16 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Here are a few fun facts. S60v5 is now 1 year old. Since December 2008, Nokia S60v5 devices have sold cumulatively at a pace of about 1M units/month. Yet, here we are 1 year and 12M phones sold later and there isn't a 3rd party Internet Radio app for S60v5, not even a beta.
People who are waiting for a 3rd party Podcasting app at least as functional as Nokia's to appear on the Ovi Store should definitely not hold their breath.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:29 PM

murrayalex is on a distinguished road
Haven't used a Nokia since the e71 earlier this year. I have a copy of the Podcasting application as a "sis" file, version 1.00.3. Would I be able to install that on the E72? If not, does the onboard Nokia Music player handle playing podcasts as I have a podcast "smartlist" that I could probably transfer via the Nokia Mac iTunes sync tool.