All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 05-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Google slips out a Maps bug fix: 3.3.1

Necessarily a brief post, but I thought I should let people know that after the slightly botched release of Google Maps v3.3.0, with many people caught out by a crash when trying to use Layers, the big G has made available a bug fix, v3.3.1, from the usual m.google.com mobile web site. Grab it if you had a problem you haven't been able to resolve by using the 'Reset' menu function?

Read on in the full article.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:46 PM

DevilsRejection is on a distinguished road
Notice how the dot now turns into an arrow when you start moving as opposed to a simple triangle on top of a dot?

Pretty cool. Very subtle.

Last edited by DevilsRejection; 05-12-2009 at 09:55 PM.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:25 AM
Unregistered

I haven't had a chance to test it as of this post, but I hope they fixed the issue with the screen saver/key lock override on the 5800XM it was an issue on 3.1

Old 06-12-2009, 10:06 PM

jpwbamber is on a distinguished road
I was disappointed to find that google maps favorites (star) are no longer stored where they can be shared with ovi maps favorites.
See the discussion at http://is.gd/5eiqv

Old 07-12-2009, 01:10 PM

nbriscoeuk is on a distinguished road
No, it appears that if you star items in Google, they are local to Google. However, if you reset it and re-start it, it will read in any items stored in the Locations App as Starred locations.

So it would appear the fix is to specifically fire up the Locations App now if you want a "hard star" and treat the Google maps stars you may create as "Soft Stars".

Regards
Neil

Old 07-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Unregistered

Anyone know how to get the backlight to stay on? GM is great when driving because you can just see where you are and what turn to make (without needing full turn by turn sat nav) but it's a real pain to have to keep pressing a button to turn the light back on, and actually more dangerous as a result. I have latest GM and N82.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:40 PM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
@ Steve

Be advised this is a Bug Fix release, only to fix the Layers Application Crash Bug.

It does NOT fix the OTHER bug introduced in 3.3.0, that lots of people (myself being one, but don't I ALWAYS end up being one of the unlucky ones Steve *lol*) suffer, which is 3.3.0 removes all the Latitude Contact Display Photos.

So far, the only fix for those suffering this new bug, is a roll back to 3.2

Google are aware of this bug, and aware 3.3.1 is NOT yet afix for this other new bug.

So 3.3.0 and still 3.3.1 are not really great build releases *lol*

Ads

Old 07-12-2009, 10:51 PM

jpwbamber is on a distinguished road
Google map favorites and Ovi map favorites no longer work together in the way I used before.

Yes, Google maps will import Ovi map favourites on setup but that is not the shared favourites that used to exist and was so useful.

I prefer to use google maps to search and ovi maps to provide voice driving navigation. This combination use now seems to be broken as ovi maps cannot now access google map favourites.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:04 AM

darrensmits is on a distinguished road
Hi..
I have gone through the post and the information which you share is really good ...
Thanks for sharing the post..

Old 15-12-2009, 06:15 PM

Charlesedwin is on a distinguished road
Hello Friends.
Necessarily a brief post, but I thought I should let people know that after the slightly botched release of Google Maps v3.3.0, with many people caught out by a crash when trying to use Layers, the big G has made available a bug fix, v3.3.1, from the usual m.google.com mobile web site. Grab it if you had a problem you haven't been able to resolve by using the 'Reset' menu function?

Old 15-12-2009, 09:07 PM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesedwin View Post
Hello Friends.
What's with simply re-posting Steve's original starting thread, as if it were your own mate?

*lol*

But as you have, just to repeat, it ONLY fixes ONE aspect of the bugged prior release - the Layers Crash issue.

It does NOT fix the issue of missing Latitude Contact images, for those suffering that problem.

Only a roll-back to the prior version, for now fixes that.

And of course, additionally, this new version also does away with the cross-platform useful synchronisation of "Favourites" between Ovi Maps and Google Maps.

So if, like me, you prefer that, to this new "Starred Places" Google ONLY synchronisation, then 3.3.x is NOT for you folks...

Old 24-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Unregistered

Anyone else wish Google's S60 apps would notify you of updates?