All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-11-2009, 04:11 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
I've just checked my phone and I do have product code 0585162. I haven't hacked it or changed the code at any point (to maintain the warranty).

I can only guess Nokia have withdrawn it. As soon as I saw it was available, I backed up my contacts/calendar/settings and downloaded it, just in case they did that.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 02-11-2009, 04:18 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
I've just checked my phone and I do have product code 0585162. I haven't hacked it or changed the code at any point (to maintain the warranty).

I can only guess Nokia have withdrawn it. As soon as I saw it was available, I backed up my contacts/calendar/settings and downloaded it, just in case they did that.
Thanks zxon, are you given the option of being able to reinstall your firmware on NSU (this is always a giveaway if firmware is withdrawn)?

See... Banzibarn, sathpill and Skiwil... it's your fault... Nokia expect you to be there 24/7... ready and waiting with phone connected.

This would appear to be the 3rd time they've done this.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian-ross@beeb.n View Post
Thanks zxon, are you given the option of being able to reinstall your firmware on NSU (this is always a giveaway if firmware is withdrawn)?
Just checking...

[EDIT] Yes, it's giving me the option to reinstall it. If I remember correctly, if it didn't then that meant that they've withdrawn the firmware.

Looks like it's still out there, folks!

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 02-11-2009, 04:29 PM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
But where?

When i get home I'm going to look down the back of the sofa in case its slipped down there...

Old 02-11-2009, 04:30 PM

Skiwil is on a distinguished road
well its still not letting me download it, still telling me there is no update

Old 02-11-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
Just checking...

[EDIT] Yes, it's giving me the option to reinstall it. If I remember correctly, if it didn't then that meant that they've withdrawn the firmware.

Looks like it's still out there, folks!
Thanks zxon.

Certainly looks that way if you are able to reinstall and are on product code 0585162.

When I updated on the Euro code and the firmware was withdrawn about 7/8 hours later I wasn't offered reinstall when I checked.

Curiouser and curioser said Alice!

Old 02-11-2009, 04:32 PM

spirit44 is on a distinguished road
my product code is 0587240, does anyone know if v20 is available for me?

can't check, i'm at work!
Ads

Old 02-11-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
But where?

When i get home I'm going to look down the back of the sofa in case its slipped down there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiwil View Post
well its still not letting me download it, still telling me there is no update
Maybe, because so many people are wanting this firmware, Nokia have restricted access to it via applications like NSU and only allowing x number of people access at any given time. Yolmol and I must've got it because we jumped in early, I dunno.

BTW thanks Yolmol!

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk

Old 02-11-2009, 04:43 PM

Or perhaps Nokia are monitoring this forum to see who's been naughty or nice!

Old 02-11-2009, 04:50 PM

angiepea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian-ross@beeb.n View Post
Or perhaps Nokia are monitoring this forum to see who's been naughty or nice!
how come Dave got to update then ?

Old 02-11-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiepea View Post
how come Dave got to update then ?
The disguise obviously worked for Dave... speaking of Dave...!!!

Old 02-11-2009, 07:39 PM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Don't know what happened to my two earlier posts, they usually get 'released' from the spam sin bin later in the evening. Odd how it moderated the frist two posts, but let the third and fourth ones through.

Anyway, at least Nokia are showing some consistency - still no v20 for us Middle Easterners. I think its a conspiracy. First I get banned from Nokia FOrums due to 'criticising Nokia' then everyone seems to get v20, apart from poor old me.

One of the reasons for justifying buying a sim free phone, was that it was unbranded and should by rights, give me access to the FW releases when they are first out. Oh wrong I was.

Anyway, hope you guys are happy with your v20, will just have to keep on twiddling my thumbs, carry on using my N95, and keep the N97 in the draw.

BTW, with the N95 working so well, I was actually asking myself today, what do I miss with the N97 - what does that offer really, that the N95 cannot do?

Well, touchscreen for one. But then the N97 screen was unresponsive at times, so no big deal there.

THe Keyboard? Again, I thought I would miss it, but find I can type texts much quicker ( as I'm not always hitting the SYM button ) . Although when I'm on the net posting on various forums, the N97 is better for that, and for longer emails.

Anyway, I've been out car buying this week so far, so been thinking about other things than phones, though still checking the Nokia websites for update info.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 02-11-2009, 08:34 PM

Okies, I'm currently at home backing up the images/videos/songs/documents from my mass memory and memory card to my PC, and will in about an hour completely format it in order to have a clean slate with v20.0.019.

I know how to wipe all the drives, but the question I have is: Should I just do a hard reset and consider it a fresh start, or should I re-download and re-install the firmware using NSU (baring in mind I already downloaded it once) while the phone is completely wiped free?

[UPDATE] I've decided to take a page out of angiepea's book and just do a hard reset but not restore the settings from a backup but, instead, set everything up manually. I think I'm doing good though, cos I wiped everything and then hard reset, and I was soon shown the Language menu.... a huuuuuge list of practically every single country in the world. I flicked my thumb on the screen and *WOOSH* it shot all the way down to the bottom smoothly! Flicked again, and it shot half way up quickly and smoothly! Before, it lagged with lists with only 5-6 items in it. Hopefully it'll keep this up when I get everything on there...

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk

Last edited by zxon; 02-11-2009 at 11:28 PM.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:40 AM

lp4u is on a distinguished road
for o585162 UK unbranded, v20 is available http://europe.nokia.com/appmanager/U...p-windowState=

i've debranded my UK n97 to the euro black version and updated to v20. now i've put the UK product code back and updated but i'm still with the EURO v20(i think). the font are bold unlike UK version which is not bold and the language pack has nederlands which i supposed is not present in the UK version. can someone tell me how to get to the v20 UK version please? thanks

Old 03-11-2009, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottmbantam View Post
Well, touchscreen for one. But then the N97 screen was unresponsive at times, so no big deal there.

THe Keyboard? Again, I thought I would miss it, but find I can type texts much quicker ( as I'm not always hitting the SYM button ) . Although when I'm on the net posting on various forums, the N97 is better for that, and for longer emails.
Please don't think I'm giving you a paper cut and rubbing salt in...
but v20 makes the touchscreen a lot more responsive (no more double/treble tapping).

Also, v20, negates having to use the SYM button as a long key press brings up symbols.

Not helping am I?