All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 09-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Getting the Service Centre lowdown on the Nokia N97 camera and GPS

The two big hardware issues which have plagued owners of the first N97 devices off the production line are, of course, the easily-scratched camera glass cover and the very poor GPS reception. Having ordered fixes for both from my local service centre a while ago, I finally had them attend to each and managed to get quite a bit more information for the rest of us in the process. Read on...

Read on in the full article.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:38 PM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
But if you happen to live in North America you're still out of luck. The nearest Nokia service centre is.... err... nowhere to be found!

Time to cut my losses and put my POS N97 on ebay me thinks.

Thanks Nokia. That was the last time I wasted my money on your product.
Ads

Old 09-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Unregistered

Us

There is a service center in the US, but unfortunately it is in Alabama and has a 7-10 day turnaround (about 2-3 weeks including shipment).

Old 09-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Unregistered

Nokia N97: an objective critique

If memory serves me right, this is Nokia's high-end offering with the most flaws/defects post-production. It should have undergone numerous quality testing and 'aged' to maturity/perfection before release. What an average phone user will percieve about Nokia N97 (original issues):
1. mediocre performance (due to limited memory)
2. boring interface (lack of theme effects, kinetic scrolling)
3. defective camera cover
Nokia should, with conscience, have a mechanism to inform and recall all "defective" units for the to be fixed. I pity those who paid considerable buck for this phone not getting the worth that they deserve.
-Dan

Old 09-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Scythe77

This new helps. Although you can't really see the gap between the lens and the cover It serves to confirm that it has been address.

Is there any way to identify new units (e.g manufacture date) via the IMEI series number? I ask because retailers will not allow you to open a sealed package just to check the lens cover out.

Also, the defective lens cover had a blue plastic piece underneath. It seems the fixed one is a different color, based on the picture, but it's difficult to tell. Can anyone confirm if the fixed lens cover is a different color?

Old 09-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Unregistered

nokia service support in north america

wrong! People commenting who have no clue... It took a total of two three days to get the device back in my hands. This from alabama to california by the way.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Unregistered

correction: two to three

Old 09-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Pronam

Thumbs down The site is as unusable as the phone!

Try clicking on the link for Asia Pacific care points (on the link posted above) - http://europe.nokia.com/get-support-...ir/care-points - and you will get a 404. No care points in the whole of Asia Pacific

Old 09-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Unregistered

Apac repair

http://www.nokia-asia.com/get-suppor...center-locator

Old 09-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Unregistered

As a vodafone uk customer, do I go back to voda or go to the Nokia repair centre?

Thanks

Old 09-10-2009, 07:58 PM

newtype is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
wrong! People commenting who have no clue... It took a total of two three days to get the device back in my hands. This from alabama to california by the way.
My experiences has shown me otherwise.

I have sent devices 4 separate times for repair, and in ZERO instances did I get the device back in 2-3 days. You must mean: it took 3-5 days for the device to get there, 3-5 days for the device to be fixed, and 3-5 days for it back to get to you.

I'm in Florida if it makes in difference.

On all occasions, they were unable to repair my device so they had to replace it.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
If this was anyone else than Nokia, there'd be a lot more negative feedback about this "issue"...

Old 09-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Unregistered

If your a voda (or any other carrier/operator) customer, that bought the phone on contract then you go to voda, as technically you don't own the phone yet, your still paying for it as part of the contract. In the background Voda will probly just send it off to Nokia though! So it'll take longer

Old 09-10-2009, 09:56 PM
Unregistered

N97 user

I bought my device from Jordan, and wanted to fix it in Dubai, but they would not take it even if I pay for it.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Unregistered

Well,well !

I must say, I have been a Nokia fan for years starting with the first querty smartphones and even now I still own a N95 8Gb. I've been following this site all along, but time has come to be onest: Nokia is not the supreme god of phones anymore, in fact they fell behind the rest quite badly ! I am not talking cheap smartphones here, I am talking about their "multimedia computers", things that are supposed to compete with the likes of Palm Pre, Iphone, HTC Hero. I know some others have made similar comments but they have been swiftly put in their places by AAS, with such remarks as the N97 was a lot cheaper then rivals (??!) and it was not meant to compete with those. Well, in my country they are all about the same price. I remember reading explanations about expensive hardware in Iphone versus budget hardware in Nokias. Puting a weak processor in their flagship, a usesless GPS receiver ( as in my old N95 8gb ) and a pathetic amount of RAM, and trying to sell this device for as much as the direct competitors is simply unforgiveble. For me the time has come to say goodbye Nokia and Symbian alltogether. I congratulate AAS for having the guts to admit, even as late as now and in an indirect manner, that Nokia is not a contender in the high-end smartphone market anymore.