All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-08-2009, 01:21 PM

ClockworkZombie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by munkiii View Post
Were they also born on a Friday the 13th while the mother was walking underneath a ladder?
you forgot walking widdershins with a black cat.

This is my favourite "why we have backups" story absolutely extreme data loss.

As I mentioned earlier, I only keep 3 copies so I would be stuffed.

Old 26-08-2009, 04:38 PM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
What a load of waffle.

Now Im a tantrum throwing two year old because I expect to get value for money out of a 500 phone and expect it to be free and working and expect my rights as a consumer to be upheld and either get a timely repair which doesn't impact upon my work or my rights or get a replacement.

I use my phone for business, but I didn't buy it for business. I do not run or own a business. I am an employee. And in my nature as an employee I find it at times essential to use a GPS purely by the nature of my work, not because Im too lazy to look at a map or ask for directions, but that because sometimes, it is impossible to do this and far too time consuming.

I haven't said anything other that that.

Perhaps you could argue my employer should provide a company car or mobile phone if they expect its employees to go on site and all over the country.

I know I can't afford to keep a backup, Im glad you are that wealthy. In any event, Im still not sure why the onus is on me.

For all the talk of professionalism, you miss out on the criticism of Nokia who created the buggy phone in the first place. How much prfofessionalism have they got? They haven't got any contingency plans have they? Sorry mate, can ill afford to spend 5% of my yearly earnings on a backup device, no matter how "professional" it makes me look.

TBH I think you're an argumentative idiot.

Some people have got some strange ideas, like when you're badly treated at a hospital, people think its down to the customers, er, patients to argue the toss with the doctor and take responsibility for their healthcare. But that just puts the onus onto the victim, er, customer instead of the useless institutions.

Your insult at my expense speaks volumes about you.

But lets take what you're saying at face value too... really... It's unprofessional (according to you) NOT to buy a second mobile phone in case the 500 phone you've just bought develops a manufacturing fault.

Old 26-08-2009, 05:51 PM

Seft is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdean View Post
I do think it stinks that you have to send a mobile phone back for repair without being offered a loan phone as cover.

Don't know about anybody else, but I rely on the phone for GPS amongst other things and couldn't live without it. But of course the internal GPS needs to be fixed etc on mine. Can I be without the phone for two weeks?

Erm, not really no.

I have no other alternative to do my job.
I completely agree that the N97 shouldn't have shipped with so many units having broken GPS - I'm really pissed off about it too. In fairness, however, the warranty clearly states that Nokia assumes no liability for lost business/contracts/revenue, so it's a little unfair to expect a loan phone, as nice as one would be.
Ads

Old 26-08-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seft View Post
I completely agree that the N97 shouldn't have shipped with so many units having broken GPS - I'm really pissed off about it too. In fairness, however, the warranty clearly states that Nokia assumes no liability for lost business/contracts/revenue, so it's a little unfair to expect a loan phone, as nice as one would be.
I would point out a clause about not being responsible for business losses I think is a pretty fair and obvious clause, in other words, we're not responsible for XX million pounds if your orders go &^$$ up through a faulty phone.

Doesn't mean they're not responsible for the faulty phone.

TBH the world has turned into a giant soft thing. If someone gets attacked, it's their fault for being there. Doctor performs the wrong operation, your fault for not taking more control of your health. Company issues poor hardware and software, your fault for not having alternatives.

Old 26-08-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdean View Post

Cluck Cluck says Henny-Penny

buxz777 was the smart one he foresaw what would happen.

Off you go Henny-Penny, the sky is falling.

Old 26-08-2009, 09:53 PM

Oh another insult, how witty and sophisticated of you. Foresaw what? Nokia making a poor device with poor customer service?

You're the only one clucking, Im making a legitimate complaint. Not my problem you allow people to walk over you.

Anyhow, Im not asking you, Im telling you.

PS Im not quite sure how you can draw the comparison about a quite obvious fault and poor customer service and a chicken who mistakingly believes the end of the world is imminent. A strange idiom.

Last edited by sjdean; 26-08-2009 at 09:59 PM.

Old 26-08-2009, 09:55 PM

Oh yeah, I believe you also said something about being in control of your own life?

How in control do you feel knowing that you have to buy an extra handset and GPS unit for someone elses mistakes?

Cover it up all you like. You have the definition of control and responsibility completely back to front.

Keep the insults coming if it makes you feel good.

Old 26-08-2009, 10:39 PM

Help? Bah!

Ok Henny-Penny I will answer this last time. Being prepared for problems is just part of life. I do not expect you should buy a second N97 just in case you have a problem.

I have a backup phone, it is my previous phone as I have just upgraded from an N80. If my phone dies I will shove the sim in the N80 and then sort out a warranty return, if I lose my sim at the same time then obviously I will need to visit my carrier for another but at least I have a phone.

You may not have an older handset lying around for this purpose in which case either purchasing an el cheapo new or second hand phone to have lying around or plan to purchase a prepaid when you have a problem but at least have a plan.

I do tend to rely on paper maps as a backup, you said this was not practical for you so a backup GPS was suggested though this could be a feature of your backup phone.

No one is trying to excuse or absolve Nokia of any responsibility for your phones' problems and as I said earlier I am sorry you having problems, but there is not a whole lot we can do for you, you will have to take the next steps yourself.

Reading the earlier posts you have some hoops to jump through to get your phone repaired or replaced, the sooner you start the sooner you can move to the next stage of replacement.

It can take 2 weeks in Australia for a warranty fix to be done, it does suck, a backup phone takes some pressure off.

I have been calling you Henny-Penny as you are running around making a lot of noise and not accomplishing anything.

Old 26-08-2009, 10:50 PM

Halon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit44 View Post
maybe someone should set up a poll, would you ever buy another nokia again?

be interesting to see if the pathetic state of the n97 has REALLY put people off
In my case, yes. As can be seen from my signature I've had quite a few Nokia smartphones (and numerous other Nokia phones before that) but the N97 is a disgrace so I've (mainly) stopped moaning and moved on.

I've replaced it with an iPhone 3GS which is a very similar price to the N97 and, the brutal truth is, in a different league. Nokia should be ashamed of themselves for even trying to get away with this shambles.
Nokia N97

6600 > 6630 > N70 > N80 > N95 > N95 8GB > N85 > N97

Old 26-08-2009, 11:18 PM

Zyyb is on a distinguished road
The amount of effort you've put into complaining, just tell me, how have you complained to Nokia? I can't believe it's the same as in this thread

Instead of whining, do something productive. Complain to Nokia, call write and e-mail them. Return the phone, go without for a week or two, people used to do your job without GPS, i'm sure you can again!

I hope it works out for you, if not, vote with your money, return your phone and buy a different one.

Old 26-08-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
In my case, yes. As can be seen from my signature I've had quite a few Nokia smartphones (and numerous other Nokia phones before that) but the N97 is a disgrace so I've (mainly) stopped moaning and moved on.

I've replaced it with an iPhone 3GS which is a very similar price to the N97 and, the brutal truth is, in a different league. Nokia should be ashamed of themselves for even trying to get away with this shambles.
Hi Halon, do you think there is a difference with call quality and reception between the N97 and iPhone 3GS?

Old 27-08-2009, 06:14 AM

Halon is on a distinguished road
Not really, they're much of a muchness in that respect. The iPhone, perhaps, has a slightly better speaker which gives a better tone to the other person's voice.

On the other hand, the N97 has slightly better signal strength... there's a dead spot located inconveniently at the end of my sofa where the '97 would usually get one signal bar, but the iPhone tends not to find anything at all, so I have to go to the effort of moving one cushion along.
Nokia N97

6600 > 6630 > N70 > N80 > N95 > N95 8GB > N85 > N97

Old 27-08-2009, 06:19 AM

jmcgrath is on a distinguished road
I called Vodafone UK yesterday and told them that I was having problems with the GPS and the power connector and without missing a beat I was told that they would courier out a replacement today. I was all prepared for a big fight, and never got a bit of it.

I guess that's one of the advantages of being on a contract rather than buying out right. Sorry if that sounded smug - it wasn't intended to. Honest.

John

Old 27-08-2009, 06:31 AM

Thanks Halon that is good news.

I will be given an iPhone 3GS through work in the coming month or two or three. I am currently very happy with my N95 as the reception and call quality are excellent, so much better than my N80.

I do have an iPod touch so all my productivity apps such as quick office for that will transfer over.

Old 27-08-2009, 07:49 AM

munkiii is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgrath View Post
I called Vodafone UK yesterday and told them that I was having problems with the GPS and the power connector and without missing a beat I was told that they would courier out a replacement today. I was all prepared for a big fight, and never got a bit of it.

I guess that's one of the advantages of being on a contract rather than buying out right. Sorry if that sounded smug - it wasn't intended to. Honest.

John
True, if i'd of got my N97 through Orange, i would of had a replacement sent out and swapped within 24 hours, but my contract has not finished yet and it worked out cheaper to buy the phone sim free from Nokia.