All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-08-2009, 07:06 PM

lightbulb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by angiepea View Post
yeah .... I already intended to delete it in 5 mins, but giving ian a chance to ggrrr
lol :d

Old 06-08-2009, 07:30 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
For all we know, we might see an update in a future firmware update that'll let us skin the homescreen elements. I've noticed the built-in ones (that aren't widgets) have the same shaded background on them all. Surely it can't be too much to ask to let us change those to anything else, right?

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 07-08-2009, 08:04 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
I think I know what the problem is now. Itís pretty much as you described angiepea.

The contacts I bluetoothed from my N95 8GB to the N97 came across with their thumbnails and when I made a call they were displayed as thumbnails. Therefore I had no reason to think otherwise about the display of contacts on the N97 until your posts.

However, I have just replaced the contact images on the N97 with the self same images from my Photo Gallery and lo and behold... they display in full screen!

Iím so glad I bought Full Screen Caller... NOT!

GRRRRR!!!

Old 07-08-2009, 06:54 PM

bowman is on a distinguished road
This was my first big annoyance (of many more since) with this phone. I've always used the analogue clock view and was stunned that the N97, Nokia's flagship phone, won't show the actual theme one on the home screen. I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't use the home screen (I used Handy Shell on my N95 and still do on my N97). Surely it's not beyond the realm of the OS to have the option to show the actual analogue clock designed for the theme, especially when you have nothing set up for the home screen? This has to be fixable in a firmware update because it shows the theme clock in the 'clock' application (something else I never use), and as angiepea noted, it shows on screen when making a call!

Old 09-08-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian-ross@beeb.n View Post
I think I know what the problem is now. Itís pretty much as you described angiepea.

The contacts I bluetoothed from my N95 8GB to the N97 came across with their thumbnails and when I made a call they were displayed as thumbnails. Therefore I had no reason to think otherwise about the display of contacts on the N97 until your posts.
I've just discovered this as well. Most of the thumbnails I have for my contacts were taken with, and added by, my 7650!! Yes, I've been using the same thumbnails for 8 years!

I'll need to go through them all now and put bigger pictures on them.

Question: If I resize the images to 640x360, will this make the photos *completely* full screen if I call or receive a call from a contact?

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 09-08-2009, 08:32 PM

plexus is on a distinguished road
I'm happy that you found a solution to the small pics problem, because I have been looking at this thread since yeserday and I just did'nt dare to write another post saying: "Well, I haven't got this bug either fellas..."

Anyway what I wanna say is that I use a stunningly beautiful theme (even if the icons are stolen from iPhone) called "Water by Dalik" (just google that and it's for free) and with this theme you can easily swich from analogue to digital clock:
Just tap on the clock go to settings and one of the choices is : "clock- Analogue/digital".

Old 09-08-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexus View Post
I'm happy that you found a solution to the small pics problem, because I have been looking at this thread since yeserday and I just did'nt dare to write another post saying: "Well, I haven't got this bug either fellas..."
I wouldn't technically call it a "bug". Until now, as far as I know, most of us haven't had a Nokia that's used the thumbnail as anything other than... well... a thumbnail They'd have been made that way on our old phones because there would've been no need to have them any bigger, and when they're transferred to our N97's they'd remain the same size.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk

Old 10-08-2009, 10:33 AM

bowman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by plexus View Post
...Anyway what I wanna say is that I use a stunningly beautiful theme (even if the icons are stolen from iPhone) called "Water by Dalik" (just google that and it's for free) and with this theme you can easily swich from analogue to digital clock:
Just tap on the clock go to settings and one of the choices is : "clock- Analogue/digital".
No offence but do you really think we hadn't thought of that? I said I always use the analogue view so it stands to reason I'd know how to switch the view to analogue.

And as has already been said, it doesn't matter what theme you use the analogue clock used in the theme won't show on the home screen.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post

Question: If I resize the images to 640x360, will this make the photos *completely* full screen if I call or receive a call from a contact?
The answer, from my experience, is yes as when I used non thumbnail photo's from my gallery they displayed OK.

My problem is that I'm missing a few photo's of contacts from Gallery and so therefore I need to go down your route of enlarging thumbnails.

To save me a lot of hunting around could you tell me the file path to their location please.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:58 PM

plexus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowman View Post
No offence but do you really think we hadn't thought of that?
I'm sorry I doubted of your omniscience in the field of Symbian tweaks.
From now on I'll think twice before daring to suggest a solution to you.

I guess you were perfectly aware of this one too?

http://www.fixya.com/support/t272663..._light_problem

Last edited by plexus; 10-08-2009 at 02:32 PM.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:18 PM

Teddy's back in cots please.

Lets not forget that there are people of all sorts of abilities that read this forum.... from the technically illiterate old duffers (like me) to the computer whizz kids. So, as I found out recently about importing thumbnail contacts from my N95 which then didn't display in full screen on the N97, it's only easy and obvious... if you know the answer.

So, as they say in the Tesco supermarket ad's...."Every little bit helps".

Old 10-08-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
The answer, from my experience, is yes as when I used non thumbnail photo's from my gallery they displayed OK.

My problem is that I'm missing a few photo's of contacts from Gallery and so therefore I need to go down your route of enlarging thumbnails.

To save me a lot of hunting around could you tell me the file path to their location please.
Thanks for that.

I'm not enlarging my old thumbnails as they'd look blurry and horrible if I did. Instead I'm going through every photograph I have (taken with all of my past phones and with my digital cameras, and my friend's photos on facebook) for pictures for all my contacts. Then I'm gonna crop them to 360x640 (portrait) and put them on my phone.

I know it'll be a lot of work but... c'mon, the same thumbnails for 8 years? It's about time I renewed them

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk

Last edited by zxon; 10-08-2009 at 02:51 PM.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:58 PM

lightbulb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So, as they say in the Tesco supermarket ad's...."Every little bit helps".
You're doing it wrong
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWQFI0UlqOg#t=9m05s

Old 10-08-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
Thanks for that.

c'mon, the same thumbnails for 8 years? It's about time I renewed them
Yeah... you're right.

I've had some of my contact thumbnails for about the same time.

They need updating. One of my contacts has gone bald since then...

still a nice girl though!
Ads

Old 10-08-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulb View Post
Had to wait 9.20 mins into it to find the relevance but it was worth it.