All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 20-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You actually showed also one of the main problems of Nokia's S60: Once the phones are sold the companies barely care about the phones or just keep bugfixing. The main advantage of the iPhone is that even the first 2G iPhones got the new firmware. .
I've had the mid-range 5800 since December, and had V11, V20 and 21 firmware

So what are you suggesting?

Old 20-07-2009, 07:12 PM

bheetebrij is on a distinguished road
Which version on new models

I second a question asked by someone else:

Does this version 7.1 ship on future models of Nokia E and N series phones? Specifically, I am eyeing up the Nokia E72... which has a 600Mhz processer I just read on Forum Nokia. That + version 7.1 of the browser + optical navikey should make for a very decent browser experience...

What do you guys think?

Rafe... fantastic article!

Old 20-07-2009, 07:15 PM
KokStukIniPhone

This article is obviously a complete fake. Everyone knows that Symbian S60 is slow and clunky and the iPhone is lightning fast and takes 1 microsecond to browse the entire cyberspace.

Old 20-07-2009, 07:16 PM

junchao8 is on a distinguished road
Be great if i8910 was added to the list...

Old 20-07-2009, 07:23 PM

predicaments is on a distinguished road
Speed

For what it's worth my iPhone 3GS is much faster at rendering pages than my Nokia E71 AND my wife's Nokia 5800. One thing I find immensely frustrating on the Nokia devices is how slow it is to move around a page - the iPhone 3GS is much much faster than the previous iPhone, there's almost no comparison really.

However what is bizarre is that because there are many 'Apps' to serve my online needs on the iPhone 3GS I very rarely actually use the browser. I have to say though that the experience on the 3GS is MUCH improved over previous iPhone incarnations. For example the cut and paste makes now switching between MAIL and SAFARI easy (i.e. to enter passwords to forums, purchasing and so on).
Ads

Old 20-07-2009, 07:26 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bheetebrij View Post
I second a question asked by someone else:

Does this version 7.1 ship on future models of Nokia E and N series phones? Specifically, I am eyeing up the Nokia E72... which has a 600Mhz processer I just read on Forum Nokia. That + version 7.1 of the browser + optical navikey should make for a very decent browser experience...

What do you guys think?

Rafe... fantastic article!
yes the new browser ships on all the newest phones. and thank god it does. the latest browser performance has been incredibly improved compared to the n95 days. i just got the update to the 5800 firmware and the browser was suddenly incredibly fast over wifi. they definitely must have done some rendering fixes because it's just as fast as in Rafe's video in this article. and when i compare it next to the android G1 and iphone 3G it completes the page loading in the same amount of time. well done nokia. and considering this performace is happening on a lower spec CPU, just imagine how good it could be on a 600mhz CPU.

Old 20-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Unregistered

Time to browse

The thing is, with the iphone you can start panning around the page shortly after some of the elements have loaded. Has 7.1 fixed this on the n86?

On my E71, if you tried to go to overview mode and pan around the page, it'd often freeze while the remaining elements loaded, including pictures that weren't essential to the browsing experience.

Full page load times aren't as relevant as the real world experience for the end user - I hope the newer browser matches Apple's work on that front more than anything.

Old 20-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Unregistered

I seem to be able to start scrolling around before the progress indicator at the top says the loading is complete. (5800)

Old 20-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Huschke2go

These result are only true on devices where all the 3rd party apps are installed on the device memory. If you install a couple of apps on the memory card, the OS and especially the web browser becomes very very very unresponsive over time.

That behaviour is not only true on my 5800. It was also true on my N95, which I used for quite some time. Because of that I have all my apps installed on my device memory, and the browser still works like a charm.

@AAS: Do you guys have any idea as to why this is? It's not only me, a couple of my geek friends noticed this too on their Nokia handsets.

Old 20-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Unregistered

I'm a big symbian fan, and even i have too admit that this test sucks. You're comparing new symbian devices against an outdate iPhone and android phone.

Rewrite the article an test it the devices again with an iPhones 3GS and an HTC Magic/Hero. Thats a fair test.

Old 20-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Unregistered

Iphone 3GS has the fastest browser

In our Tests, iPhone 3GS was three times faster than iPhone 3G with OS 2.x in site loading (9 seconds to 30 seconds). After updating to OS 3.0, the iPhone 3G would load web pages twice as fast as with os 2.x (around 20 seconds). So the comparison really is not fair. N97 was much slower than iphone 3gs (i do not have the exact number here, thought about the same as iPhone 3G with OS 3.0). The iPhone 3GS has the fastet internet browser on any mobile phone, period. Opera Mini is quite fast once it is working. But sometimes it pauses while the page is fetched and processed via the proxy.
By the way: We did all the tests via wireless lan, so the 3g network speed did not matter.

Old 20-07-2009, 08:48 PM

Super Chimp is on a distinguished road
This test might have meant more if it had included handsets such as the 3GS, Pre, Hero, TG01 & i8910HD. I mean why use the past generation iphone, it makes no sense?

From the stuff I have seen the 3GS & Pre both do better than any of these handsets. Uncertain how the Hero would fair & the TG01 would be very interesting as though it is running WM it does have a 1GHz CPU on it's side. I bet the i8910HD probably would be fastest S60 handset.

Last edited by Super Chimp; 20-07-2009 at 08:52 PM.

Old 20-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Unregistered

you guys are missing the point. its not about saying which is better than what, or the iphone is this and that. its showing that the s60 browser just just as good as the other OS web browsers, and not this "s60 browser is slow and outdated" nonsense that many people say. you totally miss the point.

Old 20-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Chimp View Post
This test might have meant more if it had included handsets such as the 3GS, Pre, Hero, TG01 & i8910HD. I mean why use the past generation iphone, it makes no sense?

From the stuff I have seen the 3GS & Pre both do better than any of these handsets. Uncertain how the Hero would fair & the TG01 would be very interesting as though it is running WM it does have a 1GHz CPU on it's side. I bet the i8910HD probably would be fastest S60 handset.
because the 5800 was available 6 months ago, when the iphone 3g was still current. 3Gs was not even out then. so the point is that if this test was done 4 weeks ago, when iphone 3gs was not released, then it still would have been a valid test. get with it man.

Old 20-07-2009, 08:55 PM

Super Chimp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
you guys are missing the point. its not about saying which is better than what, or the iphone is this and that. its showing that the s60 browser just just as good as the other OS web browsers, and not this "s60 browser is slow and outdated" nonsense that many people say. you totally miss the point.
Yeah right of course it's just as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
because the 5800 was available 6 months ago, when the iphone 3g was still current. 3Gs was not even out then. so the point is that if this test was done 4 weeks ago, when iphone 3gs was not released, then it still would have been a valid test. get with it man.
By your logic the N97 & N86 shouldn't be in there either as they weren't out then either. To be a useful test you should always test against what's current. Otherwise you might as well test it against an N70 or whatever you wanted in fact from any time period of phones.

Last edited by Super Chimp; 20-07-2009 at 09:00 PM.