All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 11-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Ovi Maps 3.0 Beta for mobile updated

A new beta version of Ovi Maps 3.0 has been released via Nokia's Beta Labs website. Ovi Maps is the new name for the application previsouly known as Nokia Maps. The new beta adds a number of new features including weather information, premium POIs and, in selected countries, saftey camera information. The number of countries covered by traffic data has been increased, the underlying map data set has been updated, zooming and panning performance improved, numerous bugs have been fixed and more. The news beta includes support for S60 5th Edition (Nokia N97 and 5800) in addition to the existing compatibility with S60 3.1 and 3.2.

Read on in the full article.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Ian Ian

Angry N82- Component is build in - cannot install

After so many months (half a year?) of no progress there is another beta and I even cannot install it on N82 (same as previous beta) - "Component is build in - cannot install". This is ridiculous!!! Now that iPhone is going to have navigation (real navigation from TomTom and Navigon) I think I will finally switch and be done with this...

Old 11-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
This is the final beta before release. I suspect this is a catch any last minute bugs (a preview release), where as the others really were Beta.

From my first look (updating post at the moment) I'm impressed. Generally much smoother and better performance. A lot of UI issues have been improved. Of course will have to do some real world testing, but thus far things are looking good.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:11 PM

fernando20 is on a distinguished road
Looking great on my 5800, and it scrolls real smooth. One thing I wonder though is why it can't run on landscape mode. Perhaps software differentiation from future navigation oriented S60v5 devices? Anyway, dumb decision.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Unregistered

Ovi map? Is everything nokia going to be ovi-fied? I'm sorry but this just seems wrong when it's so often snickered as 'euro-centric.'

(what does ovi mean anyway?)

Old 11-06-2009, 11:31 PM

splus is on a distinguished road
Fantastic!

Wow, I am really impressed by this release!

The Maps Updater program downloaded and installed the new Ovi Maps on my Nokia N95 8GB, deleted the old maps data, and then even downloaded the new version of maps data for countries which were in the phone before the installation.
No glitches.

I expected a little upgrade, but this is completely new application. Huge difference comparing to previous version 2 which was practically unusable due to unresponsiveness and slowness.
Scrolling and zooming is super smooth, really easy, and the whole feeling of using the program is MUCH better.
Maps have been improved quite a bit as well, I see the file size of some countries have increased considerably.
I have to say that I haven't tried any advanced features.

It looks like Nokia have finally nailed it!

I am starting to think again about N97 (gave up on it due to weak processor and memory and started to think about iPhone or something else) after seeing this new version, it gives me hope Nokia is finally going in the right direction, realizing the importance of good software.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Founder / Chief

All of Nokia's service are being branded Ovi.

Ovi means door in Finnish. I understand it also means kindergarten (nursery school) in Hungarian and the genitive singular of ovum (egg) in Latin.

BTW - I've now updated the story with extra details and screenshots.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:25 AM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Although a HUGE improvement over 2.0, there are still a few areas where it lags behind competition:
1. Zip code information should be stored locally instead of on Nokia's servers.
2. You shouldn't need Map Loader to download map packs, and instead be able to download them directly from your phone. Ditto for voices.
3. Map handling should be reworked so that map packs are handled modularly. For example, after you return from your trip to Spain, you should be able to remove just the Spain map pack. Currently, you have to remove everything, and then re-download all the packs you had(do you remember what they were? I hope so, because you have no way to find out) minus the Spain one.
4. You should be able to edit your Favourites from inside Maps.
5. All your contacts with an address should automatically appear in your Favourites
6. There should be a simplified way to say "drive/walk me home", either by adding a new menu entry, or (preferably) using a special favourite "Home" which always sits on top of the list for easy access.

One final note: the "Maps Improvements" preference is a violation of my privacy, and it shouldn't come enabled by default without my explicit consent. Those of you who don't like Nokia knowing where you are (and where you're going) each time you use Maps may want to go to Preferences/Navigation and uncheck this option.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:29 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
sadly the low quality of the Japan maps is an issue to me.
I'm sticking to Google until they sort some real resolution.
sigh..

Old 12-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Unregistered

I used TomTom on N95 for years before I finally decided that I really needed a dedicated Satnav because the phone was just too much of a compromise. I still believe that, the phone is OK for getting around a city on foot but for driving, it's dedicated device all the way.

Before I look at Maps 3.0 is there anything that was free gratis on 2.0 that is lost to premium cost service on 3.0?

Old 12-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Unregistered

buildings?

New to this version 3 which looks like a clear improvement in speed & usability versus 2. What's not obvious to me is how one enables the phone app to show 3D landmarks (e.g. Tower Bridge, Eiffel tower). Looked in tools>settings>categories, went online with the app, etc. Still no buildings shown. Can anyone please enlighten me (& tell Nokia to make this a bit more obvious)?
Ads

Old 12-06-2009, 09:52 AM

tonyreilly is on a distinguished road
I second that question

I can't find how to enable the 3D landmarks either!
what's going on?
Also, is Landscape mode STILL not supported on the 5800 or am I missing something?

Old 12-06-2009, 01:20 PM

tonyreilly is on a distinguished road
Anyone?

Old 12-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Founder / Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvirga View Post
Although a HUGE improvement over 2.0, there are still a few areas where it lags behind competition:
1. Zip code information should be stored locally instead of on Nokia's servers.
2. You shouldn't need Map Loader to download map packs, and instead be able to download them directly from your phone. Ditto for voices.
3. Map handling should be reworked so that map packs are handled modularly. For example, after you return from your trip to Spain, you should be able to remove just the Spain map pack. Currently, you have to remove everything, and then re-download all the packs you had(do you remember what they were? I hope so, because you have no way to find out) minus the Spain one.
4. You should be able to edit your Favourites from inside Maps.
5. All your contacts with an address should automatically appear in your Favourites
6. There should be a simplified way to say "drive/walk me home", either by adding a new menu entry, or (preferably) using a special favourite "Home" which always sits on top of the list for easy access.
1. Yes agree it would be nice.

2. On the plus side if you download OTA it will cache them. Probably better this way given people's data limitations. Voices can be downloaded OTA - if you change the voice it will auto-prompt you to download it.

3. Yes - I've mentioned this as annoyance. Though in the end I just got a bigger memory card.

4. You can.

5. Yes, the current Contacts access is messy.

6. Yes. It would be nice to have favourites favourites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
New to this version 3 which looks like a clear improvement in speed & usability versus 2. What's not obvious to me is how one enables the phone app to show 3D landmarks (e.g. Tower Bridge, Eiffel tower). Looked in tools>settings>categories, went online with the app, etc. Still no buildings shown. Can anyone please enlighten me (& tell Nokia to make this a bit more obvious)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyreilly View Post
I can't find how to enable the 3D landmarks either!
what's going on?
Also, is Landscape mode STILL not supported on the 5800 or am I missing something?
I saw 3D landmarks in Barcelona, but not in London (where I know there are some). I wonder if there is something wrong with the map data. Might be a good idea to report this as a bug to beta labs?

Old 12-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Unregistered

70 pounds per year?

They are out of their minds to ask for that kind of money. For 60, you can get a regional Route 66, or the whole Europe for 120, and then you can get the speed camera lists from the Internet. Or you can get a dedicated navigator for not much more.

The free part of Ovi Maps looks very good, though. It is very surprising that you have to pay so much to get so little more. At half the price it might be a good deal, but not a penny or euro cent more.