All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 29-01-2009, 05:29 PM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
I've applied the update and the input problem is still there.

I don't understand why they force it back to numeric input every time I change cell. Why not just leave the method set to whatever I choose? That way if I need to enter a lot of words I can do so, if I need to enter numbers it's up to me to change inputs.

This is one of several disappointing things about Quickoffice in comparison to Office Suite in my opinion and it makes me understand why they stopped giving a trial of the editor. If I had been able to compare Quickoffice to Office Suite (which does have a free trial by the way) I would not have been swayed by Quickoffice's cheaper price.

I won't be buying Quickoffice when I upgrade to the N97 later this year.

Last edited by xerxes; 29-01-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Old 29-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Unregistered

Ratkat - actually, the problem of duplicating some binaries for v6 really is down to further limitations in the operating system. When you install the Quickoffice update to the ROM product, it "eclipses" the binaries in ROM as Symbian call it. However, if the application uses the Symbian ECOM plugin system (which we do), then you can run in to binary compatibility problems. In a nutshell, the plugins that are stored in ROM can sometimes be loaded incorrectly, which will now "link" against the "eclipsed" DLLs from the RAM upgrade installation, causing a crash since those are new DLLs and not now necessarily binary compatible.

In order to get around such eclipsing problems, we have had to change all our DLLs to ensure most things no longer actually "eclipse" what is in ROM (and thus those plugins in ROM still "work" if loaded). This is a very unfortunate side effect of how Symbian has implemented the "eclipsing" rules for in-built applications and indeed means that for v6 upgrades over previous in-RAM upgrades, more disk space is lost. However, now that our "RAM" binaries are no longer eclipsing/conflicting with the "ROM" binaries, this will not be a problem for future releases (so for anyone who upgrades straight from v3.x or v4.x in ROM to v6.x now, if there is a v6.5 (for example) down the line, there should not be an issue with lost or duplicate DLLs - this problem will only unfortunately affect anyone who has already upgraded their ROM version in the past, and who then upgrades to v6 or later too).

Unfortunately, as my colleague Phil mentioned, the Symbian installer does not allow you to uninstall PU SIS files, so the only option is to indeed clean out your old v5 before installing the v6 if you wish. Again, unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about this.

xerxes - please can you describe more what problem you're seeing? Steps to reproduce? Phone you're using and firmware? I do not see this on my phone.

Regards,

Jelte (Quickoffice Engineering)

Old 29-01-2009, 06:13 PM

juwlz is on a distinguished road
Paste into more than one cell at a time

Hi Steve

One question you omited (unless it was added in an earlier version and I missed it):
Can you paste (e.g. a formula) into a range of cells yet? Or is it still one cell at a time?

Julie

Old 31-01-2009, 11:36 PM

Jelte,

Here's a simple example of what I mean.

First ensure that the phone is in predictive text mode by typing a note or something. Make sure that the predictive text symbol is shown at the top right hand side of the screen. Then:

1. Open Quick Office
2. Select New Document
3. Select Spreadsheet
4. In any cell press the nav key to enter the cell
5. Type the word "act" ie press 2-2-8. Whilst typing you will see the input mode symbol in the top right corner has changed to 123. The cell now contains "228", not the expected "act".
6. Now go to a different cell and hold down the # key to force predictive text mode input. Typing 228 now leaves "act" in the cell as expected.
7. Now go to a third cell and type 228 again. The cell should contain "act" as the input mode was last left as predictive. But if doesn't, it contains the number 228. Quick Sheet always forces the input mode to numeric when the user starts to type in an empty cell. Strangely if you return to edit cell that already has contents, even if that content is a number, Quick Sheet forces the input mode to Text.

What the programme should do is use the input mode set by the user. The only exception to this might be when editing a cell that has had a specific cell format applied, e.g. if the cell has been formatted to show currency amounts or integers it would be reasonable to default the input mode for that cell to numeric.

Basic rule. When editting a cell with no specific cell format use the input mode defined by the user.

I am using a Nokia N95-1 on firmware 20 by the way

xerxes

Old 03-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Unregistered

xerxes - thanks for this info. I can see what you mean now. Let me talk with Engineering and report this properly as a usability improvement request to be looked at for the future. Thanks again for taking the time to post the extra details.

Regards,

Phil (Quickoffice)

Old 03-02-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
xerxes - thanks for this info. I can see what you mean now. Let me talk with Engineering and report this properly as a usability improvement request to be looked at for the future. Thanks again for taking the time to post the extra details.

Regards,

Phil (Quickoffice)
No problem Phil, it's good to see a manufacturer interested in getting feedback.

If you want another one to take a look at, when opening a sheet Quicksheet doesn't return focus to the same cell as was selected when the sheet was last saved.

Quicksheet 5 used to open with the cursor on line 2 all the time. In version 6 it seems to open "near" but not "at" the last focus point.

This might seem very picky but if you have a sheet with over 150 rows you don't want to have scroll down to the bottom row every time you open the sheet.

An option to scroll by page would also be very nice to have but isn't as important the other two.

Xerxes
Ads

Old 20-02-2009, 01:00 PM

wampyre is on a distinguished road
Angry QuickOffice customer support is bad and their 30 day money is a fake

I find that their customer support is not the greatest as well as their advertisement about the 30-money back guarantee is just a ridiculous joke.

Here's why
Quote:
Cheung Yuen Wong
Posted On: Feb 06, 2009 12:41 PM
First of all thank you for a great product.

That said I'm still a bit dissapointed in the latest version of your software.
Indeed it does mostly of what it states it does.

However when it comes to the viewing of .zip files it does not do that.
One of the issues I'm having is that I have a .zip file which has a folder in it.
In this folder again there are two folders and a multiple of files.
(What I basically are saying here is that you have one folder in which there are subfolders along with some files).

When trying to view the files it won't simply show up, just two of the files and none of the folders shows up.

I've included two screenshots regarding this case.
First one is from the filemanager within QuickOffice
Second one is from the filemager X-plore

As you can see from the second picture X-plore displays all of the files,
while QuickOffice don't.

Another thing that bothers me is that I don't like the GUI of the new version of your software. (Personally I think that the version 5 had a better GUI)
Icons that expand itself and so on.
It would be nice if the transition hadn't taken so long though.
As it is now it simply becomes a bother when trying to browse through the folders on my phone, taking away the focus of what I'm trying to e.g. look for.

I therefore want to claim the use of your 30-days Guarantee, as your product currently are not doing what it should in regards to viewing of .zip files.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I'll defintely will buy your software when I get the N97
(and then probably will get used to fancy icons expanding)
but as for now version 5.0x works great for my use on my N82

Larry
Posted On: Feb 06, 2009 04:03 PM
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Did you you create the .zip file, or was it created for you? If you did create the .zip file, what did you create the .zip file in? Would you mind sending me the .zip file so that I can test with it please.

Thank you,

Larry
Cheung Yuen Wong
Posted On: Feb 07, 2009 10:13 AM
Yes, I created the .zip file myself and I did it on my laptop running Windows XP.

As for the .zip file I tried sending it to you via the upload file option but I guess it's too large
to be uploaded.

The size of the .zip file is approximately 80 mb.

Larry
Posted On: Feb 18, 2009 04:08 PM
Hi,

Thank you for your patience while I attempted to recreate the issue you have reported.

Luckily you were able to get screenshots of your file, unfortunately I have been unable to recreate the issue. I have reported it to our Engineers for further review.

We will report back to you once they have finished their investigation.

Regards,
Larry

Cheung Yuen Wong
Posted On: Feb 20, 2009 06:47 AM
Thank you for testing as I said earlier the file in which I tried to open was about 80Mb in size.
I have therefore now uploaded it to a filesharing host for you to download
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BIB1LNA4

The folder structure in my memory card starts with E:\ and therefore the whole content with the folders is E:\A - Essential\ and so on.

That said there seems to be an update of the QuickOffice application, how do I retrieve that?
My current version is 6.0.263 while I find that there are versions that are 6.0.270.

I've found no way to conveniently upgrade the application purchased with you and I find it also strange that I would have to pay again to get an update of this version.

I thought that the reason to support the software was to get the following:
1. Customer support
2. Upgrade within the same version is easily downloaded

1. You have shown that to some extent, by trying to help me, that has still not helped me with the issue of not displaying the .zip file in which I submitted this ticket for.
2. There are no mentioning about the upgrades version of the software that is from 6.0.263 to version 6.0.270

Which such reasons for purchasing a software which fails to the expectation of the customer, I'd really rather used pirated version of your software than purchase it.

With other words I'm not satisfied with either your customer service nor the advertised 30-day Money Back guarantee.
As you can see from the conversation with the one at the support indeed he does try to help me, but unfortunately as a customer I'm really left down by the following 2 things.

1. When they advertise something such as 30 day money back gurantee, that guarantee has to kept. You can't simply just close a case because you couldn't get to see the problem.
2. Where's the option to update the software? Here I mean the option to upgrade to a new version within the same number e.g from 6.0.263 to version 6.0.270.
(Here my purchased applications from Lonely Cat Games was definitely worth my money, as well as the convenience of changing the license code when chaining my handset)

I'm still waiting for an answer from them despite Larry have chosen to close this case.

I really want to support QuickOffice but with such bad costumer support I'm not going to purchase any more software from them in the future.
I'd rather go and wait / find modified version of the software instead of supporting them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot0001.jpg (39.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot0002.jpg (46.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by wampyre; 20-02-2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Added the screenshots to AAS forum

Old 20-02-2009, 09:03 PM

wampyre is on a distinguished road
RE: QuickOffice customer support is bad and their 30 day money is a fake

Seems as they keep their words after all.
As they keep their words so will I.

Quote:
Larry
Posted On: Feb 20, 2009 08:51 AM
Wong,

I have requested a refund for your purchase of Quickoffice (order 244528446). Please allow 3-5 business days for the refund to process (though it may take two weeks or more for the credit to post, depending on the credit card company).

Since a refund has been requested, we do ask that you remove Quickoffice from your N82. You can remove Quickoffice from your phone by hard resetting it. Before you do this, you will need to back up your phone memory, as Nokia recommends at www.nokia.com. Once you've backed up your information, at your phone's main screen, enter *#7370# The default lock code is 12345. This will restore the device to its original state, removing all user data, contacts, and third-party applications you may have installed. It will also restore Quickoffice to the original version that was on your phone when you bought it.

Regards,
Larry

Cheung Yuen Wong
Posted On: Feb 20, 2009 03:01 PM
Thank you for your reply.

I will reformat my phone as the deal is to not have it installed.

I also send back the file in which I got on purchase and will also delete the copy I have on my laptop.