All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 12-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia E63 - QWERTY and Eseries go mid-tier

Nokia today announced a new addition to its Eseries range. The E63 is a QWERTY equipped S60 phone and is effectively a mid-tier version of the Nokia E71, on whose success it will be looking to build. It has a 2.0 megapixel camera, WiFi and 3G connectivity, and run S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 1. The Nokia E63, which is expected to start shipping in the next few weeks, will be available in ruby red or ultramarine blue and will cost €199 before taxes and subsidies. Read on for more.

Read on in the full article.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:34 AM

Berty is on a distinguished road
So basically an E71 with a lower MP camera, and a better headphone jack? Can't see the point myself, but it looks quite cheap.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Unregistered

Correction

I wanted to mention that E63 does NOT support HSDPA, but only WCDMA with connections up to 384/384 kbps (DL/UL). This version is a ripped down version from E71, which supports HSDPA and has a better 3 Megapixel camera (E63 = 2MP).

Old 12-11-2008, 09:52 AM

Nemoi is on a distinguished road
I see no mention of GPS there... which is important for me in my next mobile. Is it truly missing?

Old 12-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for that info. I'll look into the HSDPA stuff, pending specifications from Nokia there seem to be mixed views on whether there is HSDPA or not (seems strange if they haven't as I imagine it would be a software block as a new hardware radio just for this device seems unlikely).

Nemoi - correct it does not have a GPS.

The big point here is the price point. 199 Euro - cheapest S60 ever at launch. The E71 was 350 euro. Even the 5320 was 220 euros.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Unregistered

Nokia deliberately making a fat version so doesn't hurt it's own profile.

I mean with lesser tech why is the E63 much thicker?

Old 12-11-2008, 10:03 AM
YummyGummy

I don't see the point of this. The E71 has been out for a while and prices has dropped even lower. By the time the E63 is widely available it will cost more than the E71 initially.

You can get the E71 free on ~20/month on contract and can get them sim free for about 200.

6 months later the E63 will probably cost less but then this it's very old news and people will be looking elsewhere.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Founder / Chief

Fat version - the extra thickness is down to the material used. Plastics generally need extra room over metals... but yes there may some artifice in it. It still quite thin compared to similar phones though.

The E71 currently retails for 330 in the Nokia UK Shop. The average price of Google shopping search is 280. Back of the envelope calculations suggest the E63 will be 200. Yes you can get the E71 for cheaper (especially via grey import and currencies fluctations) but the same will apply to the E63. i.e. I think the E63 will be substantially cheaper.

I also think the E63 will have a shelf life much longer than 6 months and I wouldn't under estimate the colour variation either.

But yes for technology leaders / early adopter there isn't a much interest, but that's typical for mid tier phones.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
I really dont understand the camera. If they are lowering it to 2mp, why not get rid of it altogether?

I know that many businesses/companies have a requirement for phones without cameras.

This being a cheaper business series phone, wouldnt that be a very good idea with the E71 being able to take up the slack?

It would also reduce the cost even more.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Founder / Chief

The camera module probably only costs a handful of dollars so I'm not sure how much impact it would have on the price. It would also lessen the consumer appeal... S60 users may turn up thier noses at a 2 megapixel camera, but that's the same as you get on the iPhone / G1 etc etc.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Flo

Cool Cheap

E63 is the relatively cheap E71 with some reduced features, that's not a big problems..., perhaps we still have a good business functionalilty of the newest E-Series

Old 12-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
The camera module probably only costs a handful of dollars so I'm not sure how much impact it would have on the price. It would also lessen the consumer appeal... S60 users may turn up thier noses at a 2 megapixel camera, but that's the same as you get on the iPhone / G1 etc etc.
But apperently thats what the GPS module costs, in fact I heard it was even less.

Personally, I think a GPS module over a camera would be much better, especially when appealing to businesses.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:36 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I wanted to mention that E63 does NOT support HSDPA, but only WCDMA with connections up to 384/384 kbps (DL/UL).
That is what 3G means right? If it would have supported HSDPA, it would be a 3.5G phone.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:45 AM

GDavids is on a distinguished road
From what I read on the Nokia Europe site, the E63 does have GPS but not HSDPA. (I would provide the link but somehow I don't get through to the E63 page. Anyone else more lucky than me?)

Old 12-11-2008, 11:49 AM
t-tard

with all the pared down features (and the bigger size) of the E63, over the E71, i still think it's a fairly attractive proposition with its price.
Ads