All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Tomtom 7 for symbian is not out

I have heard that TT7 for symbian (fully supporting internal GPS) and WM is out this month with a few new things unique for these platforms.

While they retain all the functions (bar a few touchscreen only ones for symbian) of the V7 versions already out, you get the following extra:

The ability to call someone and using a hotkey, have tomtom 'speak' to the other person in the call, giving them your location.

A proposed facebook application. Details have not been given to me yet, but its likely its going to be another method of giving people your location, or a destination you want. A bit like Garmins peer points, but much more advanced.

For higher spec smartphones, there is supposedly a google maps type view of going along. I have no screenshots of this yet.

With a 3G connection (or higher) you can connect to a friend with the same version on their phone, and both browse the same map on your screens, and mark things out, add destinations, stop off points, etc.

No price as of yet.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:26 AM

evilweasel is on a distinguished road
Talking

....looks like someone is gonna be a happy bunny soon

Old 01-04-2008, 09:28 AM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
This best not be an April Fools

Old 01-04-2008, 09:40 AM

GSi-R is on a distinguished road
You bugger you lol

Old 01-04-2008, 09:50 AM

mr g is on a distinguished road
That he is Micky

Old 01-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
you should go into TT marketing!

Old 01-04-2008, 04:43 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
i dont know if this is a joke. but last night on another forum, someone made a file which when placed in a certain folder in tomtom, it works with the n95 internal GPS on the current tomtom version. its been confirmed working from the users in that thread. i havent tried it cause i dont have tomtom.
Ads

Old 01-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

It was indeed a joke, but I dont believe that forum your on about has the answer, I have seen so many claims to have done it yet no-one comes up with the goods. Have you a link?

Last edited by bartmanekul; 01-04-2008 at 04:54 PM.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:27 PM

sbc is on a distinguished road
I don't think you should say that, bartmanekul. I believe GPSM is amending the source file as we speak and they will have a solution ready any day now

(no, not really)

Old 01-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Ah, that reputable establishment. I believe it had progressed to the testing phase, perhaps it didnt pass?

Old 01-04-2008, 06:21 PM

Aurial is on a distinguished road
Well the new NavCore 8 is supposed to be on the new TomTom Go x30 range which should be hitting the shops this month. Maybe they've been waiting for its release so they can impliment the new features into the Mobile version also? Maybe we'll hear something soon. I don't think that they'll completely drop the Mobile version from their product line altogether.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

No, I doubt it. Why miss version 7 altogether when V6 was so out of date anyway?

My opinion is that we have seen the last of Tomtom on symbian for the immiedate future, until tomtom realise that mobile phones are going to explode into the satnav market.

Ive said it many times before, they havent given any sort of update or fix since Febuary 2007. Same for windows mobile.

All it would take is one flagship phone to have it bundled with it (rather than paying for maps), and I reckon people might start to think....'hang on a mo..'

Last edited by bartmanekul; 01-04-2008 at 06:29 PM.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:29 PM

I certainly don't think that we've seem the last symbian version of TomTom.

Like you say, mobile phones with GPS are becoming more and more common. Even the late adopters, i.e. Sony Ericsson and Samsung are bringing out there solutions now, and Samsung are on the S60 bandwagon too.

There is a huge market out there for navigation software for mobiles, as is clear from the sheer number of packages out there (Route 66, Navicore, Garmin, Viewranger, Navigon, Copilot, the list goes on).

I think it would be a bit narrow minded of Tomtom also being as two of their major competitors in the stand-alone market have both got mobile versions of their software available (Garmin and Navman). Garmin's Mobile XT is very popular as you know and stealing up quite a market share by the way people are talking around the forums.

Only time will tell but I personally think we'll see a new version within the next year.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Next year, maybe. But for this year I think TT have not realised the quick expansion of mobile GPS. I have no doubt they will get on board eventually, but as I said, I dont think we will see a TT symbian release in the immeidiate future.

Of course, Id love to be proved wrong!

Garmin has a large share to be sure, but they shot themselves in the foot when they didnt allow for the 8GB. They still dont cater for it, so you have to use a hack, and lets face it, if you are using the hack, theres not much chance your going to pay. The N95 8GB is possibly the best phone nokia has out at the moment, and Im not sure how it compares figurewise, but I imagine its isolating a lot of users by being memory card only.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:41 PM

Very very true, and lets face it it's not exactly hard for them to make an installer which could install from the memory card, inserted into a pc, onto the 8GB internal memory. Very lazy.