All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 11-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
(By the way, it's always nice to see ACTUAL English in forums based on writings; too many are host to plagues of "u"s and "video's"!)
Although.. It should be a "quotation"; not a "quote".. Sort your nouns out, Admin!

Old 12-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
It's a real shame with this delay - but I guess it could just be manufacturing problems or something else - this phone probably isn't as highly prioritized as the more hyped N-series. A colleague told my something about roughly 10% of Nokias profit at the moment being generated by the N95. I find it quite amazing if this is true, especially because so few people are willing to cash out for it.
I wouldn't be at all surprised by either of those things.

Possibly the best-value S60 at the moment is the 6290, but Nokia seem to have buried it, I certainly haven't seen any hype or publicity about it. When AAS tried to get one to review it took a lot of doing as Nokia had distributed hardly any at launch, not even demo models for shops. It's a better phone than the N76, and costs about 30% less, yet it's the N76 that gets all the attention. I wouldn't be surprised if the 6120 gets a similarly low key treatment because it's not an Nseries model. This has its advantages though, it means you can get a really good brand new S60 for a pretty low price .

Hopefully this discrimination between the marketing of Nseries and non-Nseries models will end now that Nokia have merged the Multimedia and Mobile Phone divisions.

On the N95, they've been selling like hotcakes at least here in Finland, and the N95 seems to have been more of a global success than other models, which tend to be regional hits. The American media actually knows what the N95 is, which is astonishing for a Symbian phone, and hopefully Motorola's models will continue this trend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by czeto View Post
hi
does anyone have information on when will the 6121 come out
No firm information, but the press release says it's due out in the third quarter, which is July/August/September.

Quote:
Although.. It should be a "quotation"; not a "quote".. Sort your nouns out, Admin!
I believe "quote" is the verb and "quotation" is the noun, although so many people nowadays just use "quote" for both...

The button gets away with "quote" because it's an action so it can use the verb.
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Old 13-07-2007, 01:52 AM

sovind is on a distinguished road
Krisse,

I like the phone for its weight and size and obvious powers. My current theory is that the lighter the phone the less damage can be done when it is dropped.

Since this phone is targeted at phlebians like me does it have the usual series 40 apps; stopwatch, count down, memo pad etc?

Also how is the ring volume and vibration?

thanks.

Old 13-07-2007, 10:37 AM

6670th is on a distinguished road
Krisse, plz make the test:

Here is the example of XLS-file. Its weight is 1.3 mbytes.

Check plz, how fast Nokia 6120 will open it. And then, how fast it will calculate after the change of one parameter (Article. №). That file is samething like a complex price-list, it contains 10 000 positions. I often use similar documents on my Nokia E61.

Here are the result of Nokia E61:
Open time - 1:15 minutes, edit time - 1:25 minutes.
Test was made with Office Suite 4.0.

Thanx in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Example.zip (340.0 KB, 9 views)

Old 13-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Administrator

sovind, I can't remember whether it had those apps, but the ring volume was fine and the vibration seemed fine too.

6670th, I'd love help you but the 6120 has gone to AAS headquarters in the UK, I no longer have it. Hopefully Steve or Rafe might help.

Old 13-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Unregistered

Tom Tom Mobile compatible ?

Hi

Does anyone know if this phone is compatible with Tom Tom Mobile ?

I dont mind which version on Tom Tom as long as its compatible!

Thanks

Old 13-07-2007, 06:42 PM

gibberishy is on a distinguished road
A few questions about the 6120 Classic

Hi, a few questions and a funny tidbit you guys probably don't know about.

First question: Sound quality. Have you compared the 6120 classic to the 5700 for bluetooth stereo audio quality with the same pair of wireless headphones? If so, same, better, worse?

Second question: buttons. They look small like the (gasp!) N70's frightful mini buttons...are they bigger than the N70's?

Third question: It looks like it is well designed for the hand. If one didn't care about the 3.5G would you prefer the 6290 over the 6120 Classic? 6290 doesn't have stereo bluetooth though, right?

And now the funny tidbit. I am an expat living in Taiwan and the 6120 Classic will be nicknamed the "6120C" here (hasn't started selling yet), since most people here can't say the word "Classic" off the cuff...I wonder what other non-English speaking countries will do now that Nokia is "naming" its phones in "English"...(Of course Nokia Taiwan will still box it in a 6120 Classic box, but the locals will just call it 6120C)

Old 14-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up There's no review about the mini usb port nor the 3.5mm jack?

Is 3.5mm jack compatible for tv output cable? Mini usb is fast enough for transferring large files compared to N95?

Old 16-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Is 3.5mm jack compatible for tv output cable? Mini usb is fast enough for transferring large files compared to N95?
There is no 3.5mm jack, the 6120 has a 2.5mm jack. And no, there's no TV Out on the 6120.

The USB is faster than bluetooth, but I don't know what you mean by "fast enough". It was certainly fast enough for me.

Quote:
First question: Sound quality. Have you compared the 6120 classic to the 5700 for bluetooth stereo audio quality with the same pair of wireless headphones? If so, same, better, worse?
I'd say the same. IMHO the choice of third party headphones affected the sound quality far more than the choice of phone. For some reason the bundled headphones are much quieter than third party ones, perhaps because of EU safety regulations.

Whatever phone you buy, get a 3.5mm adaptor (they're about £5 in electrical shops, don't have to be Nokia brand) and some third party headphones, it will make it sound much much better.

Quote:
Second question: buttons. They look small like the (gasp!) N70's frightful mini buttons...are they bigger than the N70's?
I haven't used an N70, but as I said in the review the buttons are a bit small. I managed fine with them, but if you like your buttons to be big then I'd recommend something like the 6290 (you can compare their buttons in the photo in the review).

Quote:
Third question: It looks like it is well designed for the hand. If one didn't care about the 3.5G would you prefer the 6290 over the 6120 Classic? 6290 doesn't have stereo bluetooth though, right?
I honestly think this is a question of personal taste. I like both but in different ways.

The 6120 was just so compact, it really did feel like a normal phone and not a smartphone. The small size did make the phone much more fun to carry and use.

The 6290 on the other hand has much bigger buttons and a slightly bigger screen. The 6290's screen is possibly the nicest of any smartphone I've used, it's flat against the glass and bright. But the 6290 doesn't have A2DP (bluetooth stereo) so that's a mark against it.

If you can, try these out in a shop, because you have to feel them in your hand before you can judge which one is suitable for you. They're both good, but they're different.

Quote:
I am an expat living in Taiwan and the 6120 Classic will be nicknamed the "6120C" here (hasn't started selling yet), since most people here can't say the word "Classic" off the cuff...I wonder what other non-English speaking countries will do now that Nokia is "naming" its phones in "English"...(Of course Nokia Taiwan will still box it in a 6120 Classic box, but the locals will just call it 6120C)
The 6120 in Europe is technically called the 6120c, if you look at the nameplate under the battery it says "6120c".

If you want to get really nerdy, there's a number of other models that had letters after their name for some inexplicable reason, for example the 5500 is technically called the 5500d. I don't know what the reason for this is, perhaps it makes it easier and quicker to write shorter names when doing inventories and repairs etc?

Quote:
Does anyone know if this phone is compatible with Tom Tom Mobile ?

I dont mind which version on Tom Tom as long as its compatible!
If you can find a version of TomTom for Symbian S60 3rd Edition, it should work with the 6110 Navigator.
Ads

Old 17-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Unregistered

Smile Tom Tom Mobile compatible on Nokia 6121?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
If you can find a version of TomTom for Symbian S60 3rd Edition, it should work with the 6110 Navigator.
Thats great but if i like the 6121 can i get a mobile version of Tom Tom to work on it ?

Thanks

Old 17-07-2007, 07:15 PM

moonshot is on a distinguished road
I got my 6120 today. 15 a month (250 mins & 50 texts) free phone from 3g store and they gave me a free 512 mb memory card.

Old 17-07-2007, 10:43 PM

Question

Having just got my 6120 I have a question.

In Outlook I have attached notes to many of my contacts.

I have synchronised these to my phone, but I can't view them in the phone unless I open them in the edit mode and this does not seem a good idea as then could be deleted.

Can anyone suggest what I have missed and how I can view the notes in contact without using edit?

Thank you.

Old 18-07-2007, 01:37 PM

AndyK is on a distinguished road
I'm envious... and I have a question

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshot View Post
I got my 6120 today. £15 a month (250 mins & 50 texts) free phone from 3g store and they gave me a free 512 mb memory card.
Damn I'm envious! In Denmark and Sweden it looks like it won't be released until mid August - Nokia probably can't supply enough phones and decided to launch in the big markets first.

Krisse: It has been written that the N95 now supports SDHC. Do you know if the same is true for the 6120 Classic? I ordered the phone together with a 2GB memory card, but if it supports a 4 GB one, I will definitely change the order. As I know you have shipped the test phone to AAS headquaters, could you please ask them?

Thanks
Andreas

Last edited by AndyK; 18-07-2007 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Old 20-07-2007, 11:29 PM

krisse or anyone who has a Nokia smartphone..............can you advise.

I have my 6120 classic and I am very pleased with it.

This is my first Nokia, previously had a SE m600i.

A few applications I am use to with my previous phone are missing from the 6120, can anyone advise why and is this the same with all Nokia's?

The applications missing are..........In calendar there does not seem to be a way of entering reoccurring entries.

Also there is no 'FIND' feature in calendar. Both these features I use a lot.

Old 25-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thats great but if i like the 6121 can i get a mobile version of Tom Tom to work on it ?

Thanks
Just to be absolutely clear, TomTom works fine on this, I've got one and I've been using TomTom fine.

edit. obviously you need a bluetooth gps receiver though since there's no built in gps but you can pick these up from various places or on ebay for around £35