All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 03-07-2007, 08:54 PM
AndyK

Thanks a lot for the HSDPA testing!

This phone will be mine (I have already ordered it) - the Danish distributor states that it will be shipped to retailers such that they will have it in stock on July the 10th :-)

Old 03-07-2007, 09:23 PM

davekolmer is on a distinguished road
Which is best for USA?

Which do you recommend for T-Mobile network in the USA? 6120 or 6121?

Old 03-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Unregistered

USB Charging?

The really pressing question about this phone is: can you charge it using the USB port? I hate carrying around extra cables.

I think the reason this phone is so anticipated is its economy and flexibility. It's S60 which means it runs a variety of software, it's inexpensive, it's small and light and it supports the broadest network connections of any Nokia phone. It means you can get HSPA in the EU, US, Australia under both frequencies and get EDGE everywhere where 3G isn't.

I use my phone mainly as a modem for my laptop, as I'm sure alot of other people do, and this phone fits the bill perfectly. It provides basic browsing, email and document access when you can't use your laptop, and a fast internet connection when you can. For people who travel around a lot and are serious about being connected to the net at all times, this phone is perfect.

My main concern is that Bluetooth can't handle the higher HSPA speeds and ultimately limits the download speed. So WiFi is sort of key going forward.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekolmer View Post
Which do you recommend for T-Mobile network in the USA? 6120 or 6121?
You'll need the 6120 which supports 850MHz 3G. The 900Mhz supported by the 6121 is pretty much used by no-one right now.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
"can you charge it using the USB port? I hate carrying around extra cables."

You can charge through a computer's USB port, but you need to buy the Nokia CA-100 USB charging cable.

http://europe.nokia.com/link?cid=EDITORIAL_182803

As far as I know, the phone's USB port doesn't take charges, but the CA-100 plugs into the phone's charging socket with the other end plugged into the computer's USB port.

"I use my phone mainly as a modem for my laptop, as I'm sure alot of other people do, and this phone fits the bill perfectly."

I do this too, and I think even more people will start doing this as phone network speeds increase (HSDPA maximum speed is greater than my home broadband connection's) and as phone internet charges go down (my network charges just 10 euros a month for uncapped unlimited access).

3G phone modems are also excellent backup connections for when your home broadband connection breaks down.

Wifi is all very well, but it doesn't have even a fraction of the coverage of a phone network.

"My main concern is that Bluetooth can't handle the higher HSPA speeds and ultimately limits the download speed. So WiFi is sort of key going forward."

I'd strongly recommend using a USB cable to link the phone to your laptop. It saves a lot of battery life, it's much faster, more reliable, easier to set up, works with non-bluetooth computers, and it's also more secure. Cables are greatly underestimated in this wireless world, but in the right places they are still by far the best method for making connections (and indeed all wireless base stations still mostly rely on cables to connect to each other).

Wi-fi tends to use battery life more quickly than other methods, it's not an ideal solution for connecting battery-dependent mobile devices IMHO.

Ultimately though, each person has their own circumstances, so it's worth experimenting with all three methods and seeing which is best on balance.

"Thanks a lot for the HSDPA testing!"

No problem, that's what this site is here for! Let us know how the phone works for you.
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Last edited by krisse; 03-07-2007 at 10:03 PM.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:22 AM
Unregistered

I think Nokia not supporting USB charging is really slack. The port is there, it provides sufficent current and voltage, yet they want me to spend $US25+ on another cable instead of my existing $2 cable so it can charge on a power port that serves no other purpose and takes up space? It's nuts.

As far as using USB for network connection, I agree with all the points you make, but it's a wireless world and I use a laptop exactly becuase it has no wires and I can be comfortable while I use it all day. Also on the road juggling cables is very painful, so Bluetooth wins out for me.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:20 AM

mudstuff is on a distinguished road
Good review krisse, a good looking phone with some decent features. I find WiFi is almost a necessity now however, so that lets it down a little. I agree adding these features adds to cost and this is quite a breakthrough device at the price so I can't really complain. Hopefully the next version will have WiFi.

I am now trying to think how I can work After Eights into game reviews....

Old 04-07-2007, 08:59 AM
krzys

VoIP/SIP

What about SIP/VoIP support in 6120? Is it built in?

Old 04-07-2007, 09:45 AM

hargs48 is on a distinguished road
The 6120 has a 2.0" QVGA screen (same as the E50 but not with 16 Million colours) and the E65 a 2.2" QVGA screen.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:56 AM
Administrator

"What about SIP/VoIP support in 6120? Is it built in?"

There is a SIP settings menu, but I didn't have the chance to test it with VOIP.

"I find WiFi is almost a necessity now however, so that lets it down a little. I agree adding these features adds to cost and this is quite a breakthrough device at the price so I can't really complain."

That's the thing to bear in mind, this is a model for a much more mainstream audience, I think it's meant to make S60 a more viable proposition for people who currently don't buy smart phones.

At the moment most phone users don't use wifi, so including it would have made the phone unnecessarily expensive for its target audience (and a bit more bulky and heavy too). The same goes for 5mp cameras, TV out etc, they'd be nice but they'd turn this into a completely different phone.

I suspect wifi (or perhaps wimax?) may well become a standard feature in most future phones though, even on cheap models, just as Bluetooth has become. Nokia and various other major manufacturers have said they're already doing wimax handsets right now, which will hopefully get the phone network operators worried.

"I think Nokia not supporting USB charging is really slack."

They've only just started supporting standard USB cables at all, most models in 2006 still used the proprietary Pop-Port standard! The current situation is huge progress on where they were (Pop-Port cables and adaptors were very expensive compared to USB cables), although as you say they ought to be giving people the option of ordinary USB charging as so many other devices do.

With the 6120 though, I would say it's worth bearing in mind that most ordinary phone users don't charge their phone through a computer, and it's ordinary users that this particular model is aimed at.

"but it's a wireless world and I use a laptop exactly becuase it has no wires and I can be comfortable while I use it all day."

It is a wireless world, but if we're just talking about the foot or two between your phone and your laptop it's plausible that you could use a cable. But as I said, this is all down to personal circumstances and taste!

I still use an ethernet cable to connect my desktop PC to my router for all the reasons I gave earlier, though I know this is a deeply unfashionable thing to do in the tech world. I suppose I'm a fan of using wires where possible. ;-)

Old 04-07-2007, 11:10 AM

puterman is on a distinguished road
Things sure move fast in the mobile phone business. A year ago the first phones with wifi hit the market, and now wifi is "almost a necessity".

Old 04-07-2007, 12:30 PM

moonshot is on a distinguished road
The Nokia website list the Nokia 6120 classic as having a Series 60 user interface but they list the Nokia E65 as having a Series 60 3rd edition user interface.
Is this just a mistake on the website.............the Nokia 6120 classic really does run S60 3rd Edition FP1 (Feature Pack 1)..does it?

Old 04-07-2007, 02:54 PM
Unregistered

3.5G logo for HSDPA on N95

Does this logo also appear on N95 when downloading something via a network in which HSDPA is enabled?

Old 04-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Administrator

"Things sure move fast in the mobile phone business. A year ago the first phones with wifi hit the market, and now wifi is "almost a necessity"."

Well, of course for most people the only necessities are SMS and calls.

"The Nokia website list the Nokia 6120 classic as having a Series 60 user interface but they list the Nokia E65 as having a Series 60 3rd edition user interface. Is this just a mistake on the website.............the Nokia 6120 classic really does run S60 3rd Edition FP1 (Feature Pack 1)..does it?"

The 6120 Classic and 6121 Classic absolutely definitely do run S60 3rd FP1, you can see some of their FP1 features demonstrated in the video linked to at the end of the review.

I wouldn't trust the Nokia consumer website, it's often got mistakes in the specs page of phones, sometimes serious mistakes.

Forum Nokia, the official website for software developers writing for Nokia devices, is much more reliable and much more detailed:

http://forum.nokia.com/devices/6120_classic

http://forum.nokia.com/devices/6121_classic

Last edited by krisse; 04-07-2007 at 03:46 PM.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:19 PM

davekolmer is on a distinguished road
Great review

Thanks for a super review...every since I saw the 6120 Classic previewed on Engadget Mobile, I've been anxiously awaiting a good thorough review, and as usual, All About Symbian is first to the punch. I have been fascinated with the N95, but somehow I just can't manage to cough up the $745 it costs here in the US. The 6120 is likely what I'll buy instead, as it appears to have a lot of the same functionality as the N95 (even bluetooth stereo) and is a lovely size. Size does matter, as they say, and I have long awaited a smartphone that is also lightweight and small yet still highly functional and AFFORDABLE. This phone looks like the one I've been waiting for. There's no doubt the N95 would be my first choice, but this is a close second.