All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia N95 and N95 8GB

Old 04-05-2007, 02:59 PM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
Article How to... hide certain pictures/videos from your gallery

Some programs (TomTom for example) have image files as part of their installation. The N95 indexes all folders and shows the images in the gallery so you can end up with annoying thumbnails/icons/bits of map etc in your gallery.
You may also want to keep some 'private' content out of the gallery so nosey friends don't see them. Here is a guide of how to do it:

1) Download Y-Browser. This is a free file manager which is very small but incredibly useful.
2) Install it and then run it.
3) Navigate to wherever the image/video files are. You may need to dig around if the images are from an application but there is a search function so that may help.
4) For each file, highlight it and press the left selection key (LSK from here on). Go to File > Attributes and change 'Hidden' to Yes. Click the LSK again to save the change.
5) Repeat that for each file you want to hide.
6) There will be a folder called _PAlbTN in the same path as the image. Delete it.
7) That's it. You can now only view those hidden files through Y-Browser or by hooking the phone up to your PC.

NOTE: The _PAlbTN folder contains 3 different sized copies of the image and is created by, and for, the gallery app when it indexes your phone. There will be one _PAlbTN subfolder in every folder in which a picture or video exists. If you delete it the gallery will rebuild it next time it runs from all (visible) images and videos in that folder. That means even if you only want to hide some images in a given location it is still perfectly safe, and much quicker to delete the whole _PAlbTN.

I have TomTom and a few private files so found this incredibly helpful. It is peace of mind when you come back from the loo and your mates are playing with your new phone!

Let me know if you have any questions about this or want me to clear anything up!

Last edited by 3Shirts; 04-05-2007 at 03:04 PM.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:08 AM

kitesurf is on a distinguished road
3Shirts, this is an excellent post and very useful - thank you for sharing - awesome!

Old 05-05-2007, 08:43 AM

autopilot is on a distinguished road
Great post!

Very usuful, especially for people who are sick of seeing the tomtom icons/images in the library.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:36 PM

Locoblade is on a distinguished road
Alternatively if the pictures you want to hide are on the memory card, you can just connect your phone to your PC as Mass Storage (or put the card in a reader), then from within Windows simply highlight each picture you want to hide, right click and tick the "hidden" option, and maybe also delete the _PAlbTN folders as mentioned above although I didnt seem to need to do that for the images I hid on mine.

Doing it this way is much quicker because you can select / tick hidden in bulk rather than one at a time and also its obviously quicker manipulating files with a mouse etc in windows than with a d-pad on a phone, and you can even do a search for *.jpg on the root of the drive to find all jpg files for example. This method is obviously no good if you want to hide stuff on the phone memory iteslf though, as you only see the MicroSD card in Mass Storage mode.

Last edited by Locoblade; 06-05-2007 at 04:43 PM.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:31 AM

MattySSS is on a distinguished road
I've followed the steps and hidden all my TomTom folders and deleted all the _PAlbTN folders. But now when i open the Gallery im greeted by my pictures along with loads of broken images where the TomTom ones used to be? They all call themselves Autorun, nomatter which one i choose??

Old 08-05-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattySSS View Post
I've followed the steps and hidden all my TomTom folders and deleted all the _PAlbTN folders. But now when i open the Gallery im greeted by my pictures along with loads of broken images where the TomTom ones used to be? They all call themselves Autorun, nomatter which one i choose??
Did you do each file individually. For some reason Y-Browser doesn't allow multiple file operations so hiding a folder will nto hide all its contents. If you want to do a lot, hook it up to your pc as suggested by Locoblade

Old 08-05-2007, 10:55 AM

Yea i did do it on my PC!

Just tried to load TomTom on the N95 aswell and it wont load! Think i messed it right up! I've hidden all the TomTom folders, i take it thats a bad idea? Just hide the individual image files?? Will TomTom still be able to see them??

Last edited by MattySSS; 08-05-2007 at 11:02 AM.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattySSS View Post
Yea i did do it on my PC!

Just tried to load TomTom on the N95 aswell and it wont load! :lol: Think i messed it right up! I've hidden all the TomTom folders, i take it thats a bad idea? Just hide the individual image files?? Will TomTom still be able to see them??
I wouldn't advise hiding the whole folder, I only had about 3 images in my tomtom installation so i just hid those and it works fine. Try unhiding everything, get tomtom working again, then just hide the image files.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:10 AM

Not to worry think i've done it now!

Just un-hidden all the TomTom folders... set the hidden attribute to only the images. TomTom now loads and the gallery only has 2 odd TomTom files, which i assume i've missed so im going to look back through the card again!

Edit: Yes i've sorted it all now! Thanks alot, this will come in handy knowing this in the future

Note to people trying this, dont hide entire folders!! It doesnt work!

Last edited by MattySSS; 08-05-2007 at 11:17 AM.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:11 AM

Cool, glad you got it sorted

Old 08-05-2007, 11:39 AM

Locoblade is on a distinguished road
Hehe yep hiding whole folders probably isn't a good idea

Old 17-06-2007, 04:34 AM

fostex is on a distinguished road
I've used ybrowser to hide the offending icon-files (including the thumbnails) i don't want to see, but they still show up in the gallery... Is there a gallery-cache or something i need to clear?

I think i read something in another thread about doing something more than just hiding the files to rid them from the gallery, but i can't find that thread now. Anyone?

edit: rebooting the phone solved it. Still, if there's an easier way...?

Last edited by fostex; 17-06-2007 at 04:54 AM.

Old 18-06-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fostex View Post
I've used ybrowser to hide the offending icon-files (including the thumbnails) i don't want to see, but they still show up in the gallery... Is there a gallery-cache or something i need to clear?

I think i read something in another thread about doing something more than just hiding the files to rid them from the gallery, but i can't find that thread now. Anyone?

edit: rebooting the phone solved it. Still, if there's an easier way...?
Re-read my instructions at the top of this page. You need to remove the _PAlbTN folder as this is where the thumbnail sized images for the gallery are placed. If a reboot refreshes these as you say then that might actually be quicker though
Ads

Old 15-11-2007, 05:55 PM

swingj is on a distinguished road
great post....
thanks 3 shirts.....
it was of great help

but i am having this problem that the gallery seems to have some confusion...it is showing one particular image as multiple copies....
i tried deleting the _PAlbTN folders but it is still persisting..
any suggestion on rectifying this
swing

Old 15-11-2007, 09:01 PM

Dogmann is on a distinguished road
Hi all,

This worked on the original N95 and just checked it does also work on the N95 8gb just put whatever you don't want to show in the Gallery into the My Videos Folder in the mass storage memory, That's it no changing file attributes or anything else to do and easily accessed when you want anything in there.

Marc