All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 12-02-2007, 02:51 PM

Bobagent is on a distinguished road
Will we finally see Outlook category sync?

Old 12-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
"I understand your point. But next generation of UMPC have Core 2 Duo processors, all windows software, and the price is lower than that E90, and can be on pocket!"

They are amazing devices, but they're not pocket-sized. Most people would find carrying a UMPC very cumbersome, and prefer to have something smaller but less powerful.

Here's a UMPC:

http://www.pencomputing.com/images/umpc_update_q1.jpg

and here's the E90:

http://nds3.nokia.com/pressphotos/pu...e90_lowres.jpg

It's not a huge difference if you're using it at home, but the smaller size makes a big difference if you're on the move.

Also, I don't think the battery life on a pocket-sized duo processor UMPC running Windows is any good, Windows (the desktop one) wasn't designed to be mobile and neither were those processors.

But I'd love to get a next gen UMPC for under 750 euros, can you tell me where they sell them at that price?

Last edited by krisse; 12-02-2007 at 03:50 PM.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:24 PM
HMH

Screen

Does it have a touchscreen?

Old 12-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Jeb's Boehner

5mx

It's not as good as the Psion Series 5mx and it doesn't run embedded Linux like it should but I hope they get these onto the High Street yesterday! The Series 80 devices had CPU clock speeds about half of what a power user would want. If you want longer battery life, switch to a superior black and white screen, but don't slow down the core CPU.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:32 PM

TomJ is on a distinguished road
@Jeb's: According to the only site where it's been extensively played with it's clocked as fast as the N95...

Old 12-02-2007, 11:54 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMH View Post
Does it have a touchscreen?
No. Read the MySymbian.com review for more details.
Ads

Old 13-02-2007, 07:21 AM

sovind is on a distinguished road
Why now fax?

Here in Asia, the fax reigns supreme for the "real" business people i.e. for the real trade of goods and services. The 9300i has been selling very well because of it.

IMO a big mistake by Nokia, unless it's in the E90(f)

Old 13-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovind View Post
Why now fax?

Here in Asia, the fax reigns supreme for the "real" business people i.e. for the real trade of goods and services. The 9300i has been selling very well because of it.

IMO a big mistake by Nokia, unless it's in the E90(f)
you can use install scanr.

Old 13-02-2007, 09:24 AM
FLGFLG

Nokia 9300 vs E90 Fax Feature

Greetings - It is my understanding that stateside many cellular companies do not want to provide CSD - FAX (Circuit Switch Data) feature due to switch technologies changes. It appears to be very difficult to get the CSD features from Cingular or TMobile in the USA. Thanks - FLG>>>

Old 13-02-2007, 10:29 AM

elaverick is on a distinguished road
Maybe it's just me but I really don't go for the whole digital convergence thing in a big way. A few years ago I was right there with it and thought it was the best idea going, however just recently I've been moving further and further away from this ideal. I would much rather have 3 or 4 devices that did specalised jobs, rather than 1 device that did everything only reasonably well. My real dream machine would be a Nokia PDA in the old Series 5 or Revo form factor WITHOUT a phone attached... I know it'll never happen, but I just can't reconcile myself to the idea of talking to the house brick that is the Communicator.
Maybe once Bluetooth technology matures a little and we can have good quality light headsets, with dialing capability the whole DC thing will start to make a bit more sense, until then I think I'll stick to buying suits with 4 pockets...

(Oh and is it just me or does the S60 interface look just a little lost on the larger screen? Things like active standby were designed to make use of a small screen, surely they could have come up with a hybridised desktop/menu system instead of just a simple port?)

Old 13-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Arjen is on a distinguished road
Really impressive device. I do like the convergence of almost everything in one device. This new E90 comes very close to a complete laptop replacement.

I'm very tempted, but missing fax support is a definite showstopper for me. Any updates on this? N/A?

Old 13-02-2007, 03:12 PM

sovind is on a distinguished road
FAX:

IMHO, with all due respect, I think the 9300 and 9500 series phones were bigger sellers in Asia than the US, so I think Cingular and T-Mobile had little influence in the specs of the E90.

I suspect the real reason the E90 is faxless is that the S60 arcitecture doesn't have the feature built-in (yet - I hope)

I guess the E90 can't be called a communicator anymore.

I think it has to be understood, the majority of Communicator users that I have observed so far are far from tech savvy i.e. there is hardly any third party apps in them, other than what came preinstalled with the phone - legal or otherwise.

To these users, the Communicator is a tool and they have better things to do than to play around with the phone's functions. As an example, I know a small transport company that had about 30 one tonners going from Laos all the way to south of Malaysia. You wanted any thing any where, they could get it there for you. They had about 100 9300 as they could view the purchase orders, the addresses, the bank-in slips for payment confirmations etc. I was shocked - they were the most virtual operation I had ever seen.

Food for thought Nokia.

Old 13-02-2007, 03:44 PM

Woodstock is on a distinguished road
Fax and E90 availability

How ironic that the last message I was reading deplored the lack of built-in FAX functionality for the E90, and the ad right below that comment was for an EFax product where you can FAX directly from your phone...

I read somewhere that this phone isn't going to be available until the fall, and that it is not going to be sold in the US. Puhlease, T-Mobile, get smart and offer the E90 in the States!

Old 13-02-2007, 03:50 PM

edo is on a distinguished road
The whole and painful truth about E90 is that it finally buried all our hopes for communicators to replace our ER5 handheld computers!
E90 is just an amazing feature packed S60 phone brick with extended inner screen and keyboard.
Phone finally swallowed computer!!! Amen!

Old 13-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Unregistered

this question might sound strange but does anyone know if it has a 3D graphics chip like the n95?