All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-07-2012, 12:29 PM

mcpezza is on a distinguished road
808 crashing with 3G connection.

Hi.

Has anyone experienced the black screen when the 808 connects to data? Have spent the whole weekend trying to figure out what app I had loaded which was causing this, now narrowed it down to the data connection. If "mobile data" is switched off, all works well, but does not make a smartphone very smart.

Only removing the battery will restart the phone. Works Ok on wifi. Nokia support cannot reproduce this problem.

Mike
Ads

Old 17-07-2012, 10:35 PM

ziggyball is on a distinguished road
I have heard of this problem but have never experienced it myself.
I have a made in china, german phone, 309 firmware, new Three sim...

Old 22-07-2012, 04:27 AM

Amazon did a next day replacement, there could have been an issue with the cut down to micro size sim card shorting on the sim carrier. Insulated the edge with tape before installing on replacement phone and it working better, but when mobile signal dropped in low signal areas, calls could not be made or received without a restart. New micro sim fixed this and has improved signal according to the strength indicator on screen.

Now on fourth day and used most functions and apps, all working very well. Belle FP1 is a good improvement against my N8. Forced to use my WP 7.5 Mango HTC until the replacement 808 arrived only served to highlight how mature Belle is and the depth of capability in the OS. The camera is bloody brilliant.

Old 22-07-2012, 07:38 AM

matthewrleech is on a distinguished road
Glad Amazon sorted your replacement quickly, I'm thinking of requesting one too due to the amount of purple-tint I'm getting.

Just out of curiosity, were you running Extra Buttons when you were getting the black screen? I thought my camera (808) was dodgy until sabbyj suggested EB was the problem...and it was! http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nser...t/true#M294940

Then I realised that a few other things I'd tried to do had resulted in a black screen.

I've not removed Extra Buttons from my 808 but I have disabled it now and Purdy is working great. I'm keeping the app installed though so that I know when an update is released.

Old 22-07-2012, 04:55 PM

Hi Matthew.

No, did not have buttons installed. Out of frustration, I removed every app I had loaded on the first device and re-installed the OS with PC Suite just in case an app was causing the crash. It made no difference. As soon as the device made a data connection, the screen died. I have not been able to reproduce this on the replacement device as the cut down Sim card is now disabled after the replacement
Micro card arrived.

I have the purple screen only when the auto brightness is enabled and I unlock the screen in bright light. It then adjusts down a notch and the tint disappears. Same as our iPad.

Regards

Mike