All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-07-2011, 11:09 AM

Robboftw is on a distinguished road
Question Why do YOU have an N8 (or Symbian^3)?

Ahoy.

So, after far too long deliberating, I've finally ordered myself a Nokia N8 in green (I didn't want a plain coloured one and everyone is out of the orange model ).

I own numerous other phones, among them an iPhone 4, Samsung Galaxy S II, LG Optimus 3D, etc.

So why have I ordered an N8? Well, ever since I first saw one something about it has stuck with me. I love the design of it and the camera performance is astonishing.

I've found myself needing a sat nav that will work all over europe so I've sort of used this as an excuse to buy one. Google nav doesn't work in most countries and where I'm going I wont always have a reliable signal. I also didn't much fancy paying for all the TomTom EU packs for iOS either.

I'm naturally a bit worried about Symbian. I've never actually owned a Symbian phone. I think I'll get on with it though because -
  • I only tend to use a handful of apps on iOS/Android
  • I don't at all care for widgets and I'm happy having a 'wall of icons' that I can use to control my phone (like on iOS)
  • Ovi Maps appears to be very good and works well
  • The battery should hold up better than many of the 4.3" Android phones
  • I use the camera quite a lot, and simply nothing can touch the N8
  • I'm certainly no slouch when it comes to technology so I'm confident of being able to handle Symbian with relative ease, even if it is a bit unintuitive

My only lingering concern is the web browser. I know the default one apparently is quite poor but Opera isn't bad at all, so again, this shouldn't be an issue.

I assume the email client works fine with Gmail, too? No doubt I'll miss this from Android but again, I'm not too worried about it.

On top of this, the Symbian Anna update looks promising and should improve the phone a great deal! Any news on when that is out?

I love the look of the E7 too, but the EDoF camera put me off. Seems a bizarre inclusion.

So, back to my original question, in a world where iOS and Android are on the up, why are you using the N8/Symbian?
Ads

Old 23-07-2011, 05:39 PM

hummrubb is on a distinguished road
I use an E7, it's the N8 with a junk camera and a lovely keyboard Actually, the EDOF camera is really good for high def video. There's no need to focus, just press the shutter key and it captures pretty sharp video.

The common complaint about Symbian is its inconsistent interface - multilevel menus, single or double taps needed without telling the user, just a general feeling that the UI wasn't built for touchscreens. Once you get used to its quirks, the good bits - offline Maps navigation, Bluetooth transfers, USB-on-the-go, filesystem access and app sideloading - make Symbian worthwhile.

The email client works well with Gmail via IMAP, Yahoo or your own hosted account. You can use Nokia's push service to grab your email or you can directly connect to the servers, I prefer going direct for more control. The email widget is useful for seeing the latest messages in your inbox. For browsing, Opera Mobile is much faster and more configurable than the stock Webkit browser.

So Symbian doesn't have as many apps as iOS or Android... I'd still consider it the third ecosystem (not WP7! ) and you have a choice of using whatever "cloud" service you want other than Google or Apple services, or even do most of your stuff offline if you wish. That choice is a good enough reason for me to use Symbian.

Old 24-07-2011, 06:27 AM

monkeyandweasel is on a distinguished road
I wanted a good camera with a proper flash. I also wanted a phone with an fm transmitter (having used this feature a lot with my previous phone).

The N8 was really the only choice.

Old 24-07-2011, 06:32 PM

slapntickle is on a distinguished road
I'm using a c6-01. The baby of the family, but I love the physical size, clear black display, gorilla glass and aluminium casing.
I have no issue with the edof camera for both photos and video and I've found symbian 3 as easy and responsive to use as android.
No issue with the ovi store, the only thing I do miss is a fm transmitter and for some reason there is no video editor. Battery life can be a bit ropey but spare battery is small enough to carry in my wallet.
I'll be staying with symbian for the foreseeable future. I've no desire to switch to windows 7, every android slab looks the same and refuse to pay the money for an i phone!

Old 25-07-2011, 09:01 AM

warmth is on a distinguished road
You will love Nokia Maps and the N8 camera but you will hate the whole phone if you don't have a backup battery cause using both and perhaps a very consuming app like Gravity and/or Whatsapp you will get out of battery in a few hours! Trust me, happened a lot of time to me in my trips! I bought a Proporta USB TurboCharger 3400 mAh and my life was very happy until I got my N8 stolen 3 weeks ago so I moved to Android temporarily to test it and because the Huawei smartphones are very cheap and good, I will save money and I will be reviewing the X7, the E7 and the E6 in the coming weeks on Nokia-News.com thanks to WOMWorldNokia!

Current: Nokia Lumia 920 [WP8], Nokia Lumia 820 [WP8], HTC 7 Surround T8788 [WP7.8] & Vodafone 858 Smart [Android SmartLucky2.3] | Previous: Nokia Lumia 800, E7-00, X7-00, N8-00, N97, N96, etc.
Official Nokia Suite Beta Tester | Nokia Beta Labs Contributor of the month (June, 2011) | Nokia-news.com & LoveMyNokia.com writer

Old 26-07-2011, 11:46 AM

MontyN95 is on a distinguished road
BT file transfers; a file system, an excellent camera and side loading of apps mean Symbian is my only choice

Old 26-07-2011, 04:12 PM

hummrubb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyN95 View Post
BT file transfers; a file system, an excellent camera and side loading of apps mean Symbian is my only choice
Symbian Platform Security might be a pain with all the package signing required but at least it doesn't treat side loading as a crime It really is too bad that Symbian development has gotten easier now with Qt and QML - native Qt apps look great too - but developers are just targeting iOS and Android for new apps.

Anyway, I guess you could say that I like Symbian because I like the idea of Psion's operating system.

Old 27-07-2011, 04:01 AM

AHR is on a distinguished road
Cool What's wrong with Symbian?

My interest in Symbian goes back to its beginning, Psion 3a. Used it as my PDA (personal data assistant) for more that 10 yrs, while functioning as Patent Counsel for a start-up that made it big in Dental Implants. I still have it; it works. When cell phones got serious I got Nokia 9300 from ATT and used it until E90 became available in USA. That still works very well. I particularly like that I can categorize almost every function in it, from contacts to still photos. While Nokia is hard wired to connect with PC's I got from them some patches that let me connect with my Mac computer for backup and data exchange; and Bluetooth works hreat. Now I have E7-00 and while it is fussy and jumpy it does my bidding equally well. Being a serious amateur photo-nut I did worry about the "soft focus" camera, but having LEICA D LUX 4 For when I want perfection I opted for the E7 and I am glad I did, for many reasons:
1-your best camera is the one you have with you, and what meets that test better than your phone?
2-a camera that is always in focus is always ready to grab the action when it happens, not a smidgeon later
3-(this one is uniquely personal) I live in a retirement community; the "girls" range in age from 60 up to ???. The fact that my camera does not show wrinkles is a real advantage. I used to pay big bucks for soft-focus filters for my Hasselblad. Get it, guys?

Old 27-07-2011, 06:38 AM

hankipanki is on a distinguished road
Smile Which one choose?????

Hi All,

First of all please sorry for my english language. I had read all the conclutions wrote in here about new Symbian Devices. I really wanna buy Nokia Device, since i have using nokia phones from 2003. So I don't want go for a any other brand. I'm not refusing those device. Becuase I don't have any of the experience with other brands.
anyway This is my point, I have two models in my mind. But I don't know which one I want to choose. One is Nokia N8 and Second is Nokia X7. I'm get confused becuase of some points.
N8 have 3.5" screen but good camera and within one month time anna update will come to that.
But X7 have 4" screen but have 8MP fixed focus camera with anna.
I'm good music listner(not hardly used) and hard use(calls and sms & camera) of phones. earlier I had use Nokia N95 and Nokia X6.
So If some one can give me a suggestions from these two devices I really appreciate. and I need very quick reply becuase I wanna buy a phone soon.

Old 17-11-2011, 10:56 AM

tigerfox is on a distinguished road
Because i was stupidly too loyal to Nokia.
I gave them 1 more chance to see if they could come up with something good that works without waiting a year for a decent software.
There was big reviews saying how good the hardware is.

Its true, hardware is great, but firmware is horrific, all the updates have been poor untill 7 days ago leaked new version of belle firmware. so now finally have a phone that works.

but you cant grip the phone, too slippery.

Im going to get galaxy s2 in next few weeks or get the new version of s2 if it gets released soon.

Old 17-11-2011, 01:40 PM

chinky2 is on a distinguished road
hi everyone i am newbie......i hope my hello will get some responses

Old 17-11-2011, 06:52 PM

evilweasel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfox View Post
Because i was stupidly too loyal to Nokia.
I gave them 1 more chance to see if they could come up with something good that works without waiting a year for a decent software.
There was big reviews saying how good the hardware is.

Its true, hardware is great, but firmware is horrific, all the updates have been poor untill 7 days ago leaked new version of belle firmware. so now finally have a phone that works.

but you cant grip the phone, too slippery.

Im going to get galaxy s2 in next few weeks or get the new version of s2 if it gets released soon.
....pretty much this ^

Old 24-11-2011, 06:16 PM

smcmanus is on a distinguished road
I didn't initially use Nokia, and didn't care, or think it mattered which phone I used.
I have used Kyocera, Motorola, etc.
Then I really got interested in computers, technology, and networking. And I hate things not being able to do things I think they should.
And no other phone has proper bluetooth protocol support. have you ever told some one, Hey check out this movie I took, let me send it to you. And you get this Blank look. ("you mean EMail?") . And people from other brands, had no clue what they don't have. (Try and use AT&T 3G then Pop in a T-Mobile SIM 3G, with any other brand.) The fan boy salespersons from android, try and argue. And then I just connect a Bluetooth keyboard, attach a USB Flash drive, Etc, etc.

Sorry have a cool transition effect doesn't cut it for me.