All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-01-2011, 09:13 AM

torquey is on a distinguished road
Nokia N8 caught running PR2.0 Beta Firmware

Came across this while browsing the internet. Its out beloved N8 running the PR2.0 firmware with new browser and portrait qwerty keyboard and split screen. I just wish it had a 1GHz processor just like the Apple's and Android's of this world. This phone then would have been just perfect. N8-2 may be!

http://how2i.com/743/nokia-n8-symbia...firmware-video

Have shared it with fellow N8 fans on the internet. Spread the word around.

Old 15-01-2011, 03:33 PM

junchao8 is on a distinguished road
Looks very slick.

Old 15-01-2011, 04:08 PM

MontyN95 is on a distinguished road
That qwerty keyboard looks horrible! Looks so squeezed and tiny! Hope it's not enforced and we have the option to retain T9! I much prefer T9 in potrait mode anyway - dunno what all the big fuss about potrait qwerty is! T9 much better and perfect for single hand use

Old 15-01-2011, 08:31 PM

greycounciller is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyN95 View Post
That qwerty keyboard looks horrible!..........dunno what all the big fuss about potrait qwerty is! T9 much better and perfect for single hand use
I second that!!
Ads

Old 15-01-2011, 09:46 PM

boothy is on a distinguished road
For me it depends on the calibration of the keyboard - the portrait keyboard of opera mini is similar to the one shown on video - I find the opera keyboard so more responsive and accurate compared to the default landscape larger keyed effort in the N8 - the accuracy and construction of this keyboard is a real disappointment to me - a option to hold down number keys to provide numbers as per N97 physical keyboard would be a big leap forward

Boothy

Old 16-01-2011, 09:05 AM

samson432 is on a distinguished road
SWYPE keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothy View Post
For me it depends on the calibration of the keyboard - the portrait keyboard of opera mini is similar to the one shown on video - I find the opera keyboard so more responsive and accurate compared to the default landscape larger keyed effort in the N8 - the accuracy and construction of this keyboard is a real disappointment to me - a option to hold down number keys to provide numbers as per N97 physical keyboard would be a big leap forward
The N97 keyboard is a very good one.

The built-in landscape keyboard is not quite good. I suggest you download the SWYPE landscape keyboard provided by NOKIA free now on OVI. It is very good and it does not take over the T9 in portrait! And it totally integrates with N8 theme.

Old 16-01-2011, 11:40 AM

Maticek is on a distinguished road
This video is quite old, hopefully the portrait qwerty will be more like the one found in gravity.

Old 16-01-2011, 02:32 PM

boothy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson432 View Post
The N97 keyboard is a very good one.

The built-in landscape keyboard is not quite good. I suggest you download the SWYPE landscape keyboard provided by NOKIA free now on OVI. It is very good and it does not take over the T9 in portrait! And it totally integrates with N8 theme.
Thanks for the heads up

I did not realise how much better the swipe keyboard was - it is so much better just as I normal keyboard and the hold button option for nums\symbols is so much better - `swyping`like all things needs practise but very useful

Boothy

Old 16-01-2011, 04:30 PM

hrshtpassi is on a distinguished road
I for one would love a portrait version of swype, I wish that once nokia push out their portrait keybord, swype does it too AND soon :(

Old 25-02-2011, 03:04 PM

torquey is on a distinguished road
Not that it matters now, since Nokia is now all Microsoft, here's another look at the Symbian^3 PR2.0. The video is clearer this time around and to be very frank its pretty decent atleast when compared to Android.

http://how2i.com/1232/another-look-a...3-update-video