All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 15-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The top GTD and time management applications for your Symbian smartphone

In this feature, Ewan summarises a variety of ways of using your Symbian smartphone to marshall the ever-growing list of 'things you've got to do' - some apps, some widgets and some cloud-based solutions, so something here should take your fancy?

Read on in the full article.

Old 15-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Unregistered

This article makes it clear why any serious user in search of a good PIM/ToDo app in Symbian will have to look elsewhere.

Old 15-06-2010, 08:55 PM

ashg77 is on a distinguished road
Handy Calendar does support S60 5th Edition

SBSH have been promising that a 5th Edition version of Calendar would be ready 'soon' for months now. Hopefully it won't be too much longer

There is also DreamLife which is pretty feature rich but also has a price to match.

Old 16-06-2010, 07:07 AM
Unregistered

Thymer

I am using Thymer for my todo's. It is like Remember the Milk, but with an interface which is much more natural. I love it. For Thymer there is also an online version available to update your todo's on the road (www.thymer.com).

Old 16-06-2010, 07:29 AM
Vehka

thymer

I was excited at the mention of Thymer, since I've been waiting for a Remember the Milk (which I currently use) like application with native Symbian support. However, Thymer does not have Symbian support. I havent tried the m.thymer.com site since I just signed up, but according to the blog they only have Android and iPhone flavors. Moreover, what I would need is an offline application, like Remember the Milk has for iPhone.

Old 16-06-2010, 09:53 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
An alternate to TimeChime could be SBSH's cuckoo. It is pretty flexible offerings a start time, end time, built in tones or custom tones, etc. The only thing missing is customizing the time period. It is set to 1 hr intervals.

Old 16-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Unregistered

GTD anno 2010

When I started to use my E90, I was a bit disappointed on the options, interface and possibilities offered by the calender app - certainly compared to the functionality I was used to on my old Psions. Howerver, after discovering SBSH Calendar, I must admit several of the flaws have been addressed, even though that good old Psion feeling of applications that can be used intuitively never returned.

In the mean time, time mgt concepts have evolved. I too adopted the GTD approach, and started to look at software that offered the flexibility and power to help me organise my life.
As a Mac user, I've tried Omnifocus and Things but finally selected The Hit List as the application that helps me focus on the things that need my attention. Until now I have been pleased with the choice.

However, in my view, a “real GTD system” anno 2010 would not be limited to a desktop app, but would need to be integrated with a smartphone. Sure, I can sync The Hit List => iCal, and subsequently iCal => SBSH Calendar, but neither iSync, nor the category approach and filters of SBSH Calendar are designed to offer the required flexibilty of viewing and selecting e.g. contexts, tags, next actions etc. that constitutes the core power of The Hit List.

I would expect my smartphone to offer the powerful features of full blown GTD software (so forget about software simply listing tasks) and in addition to offer additional benefits like e.g.:

*) integration of tasks and scheduling: if I schedule a meeting with e.g. Jack, I would appreciate my phone to be smart enough to select for me (and gently remind me) all tasks and issues I needed to discuss with Jack;

*) integration with GPS: based on where I am, my phone could (if I want to) remind me tasks I could complete in the vicinity of that location. Examples: buying the stuff on your shopping list(s) (because you're in the vicinity of a particular store), visiting that museum or expo you had noted as “something you wanted to do one day”, or talking to a person you needed to talk to and who happens to be in the neighbourhood, etc.

With all the functionality offered by modern smartphones, “context” based task mgt could be brought to a new level.
Ads

Old 16-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Unregistered

Thymer

The mobile application designed for iphone and android works also on S60v5. It only works in online mode, not in offline.

Old 16-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Unregistered

How will be GTD on Symbian^3 ?

What PIM features are improved, if any, on Symbian^3?

Are the Todo and Calendar App the same as in Symbian^1?

I would appreciate a extended zoom on PIM improvements (category support, etc) on future N8 reviews.

Old 16-06-2010, 04:44 PM

krisq is on a distinguished road
Don't forget about ComingNext. Brilliant homescreen widget for N97/N97 Mini/C6.
A must have.

Old 22-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Unregistered

Talking

(one of )The best organizer ever is called Natara Bonsai to Palm OS. Unfortunately the developer wont release it for Symbian . Its a great app with easy of use and great features like desktop companion ....

Old 23-09-2010, 02:28 PM

vegetablevn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
(one of )The best organizer ever is called Natara Bonsai to Palm OS. Unfortunately the developer wont release it for Symbian . Its a great app with easy of use and great features like desktop companion ....
Hi,

I agreed with you. Any way, your points of view make me thinking about some thing for my project.

If you want to do more info, you also visit at: Time management techniques
Pls try to keep posting. Tks and best regards

Last edited by vegetablevn; 28-09-2010 at 05:21 AM.