All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Bug fix update for the popular Nokia E75

The popular QWERTY slider E75 has had a firmware update today, to v211.12 (from v210.12), not available over the air for me, but there via Ovi Suite and Nokia Software Update, as a 146MB download. The E75 has User Data Preservation, but backup anyway, just in case, beforehand. The update is mainly bug fixes, listed below.

Read on in the full article.

Old 15-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Jetrel

but without Ovi-Maps 3.3. My friend misses free navigation on his E75.

Old 15-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Unregistered

Angry Version?

Anyone know what product codes this works for? I have a UK SIM Free E75 and it's listing no newer versions than 202.12.01.

I'm assuming it's UK - it was bought from expansys. Product code is 0577045

Failing that, does NSS still work? and has anyone got a product code it'll work with?

Old 16-07-2010, 08:29 AM
Unregistered

Beer This isn't a rant, I swear...

"Popular"?
I don't think so. Even though the device is only about a year old and is great (very solid and well built), it doesn't feel like many people have bought it and Nokia aren't really doing much with it, preferring to provide more support for the E71 and E72 instead. I don't understand why this brilliant messaging phone is stuck with an old version of Ovi Maps and an old version of Mail for Exchange.
Integrating MfE into the firmware was a big mistake. It means you cannot upgrade it whenever a new version comes out. And this fw version still doesn't give us the latest version. It also means MfE works much better on my old N73 than it does on my E75.

Still, don't get me wrong, there isn't another phone I want right now, but I just feel I bet on the wrong horse when I got this instead of an E72, thinking they both would have great and long lasting support and acceptance.

Old 16-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Unregistered

Wink

"but I just feel I bet on the wrong horse when I got this instead of an E72"

Yeh, both you and me dude.

This phone seems to have fallen by the wayside in terms of support, while the E71, n97 and 5800 continue to enjoy consistent updates.

This is the very reason I find it hard to recommend Nokia to people I know. Firmware support can be non-existent for less popular models. And you can't count of software updates either. Even though they all supposedly run on a common S60 platform, the effort Nokia makes to distinguish each model is so extreme it fragments their entire phone line-up and negates the benefits of a common platform.

In the end, loyal customers have to bear with phased roll-outs of major apps like Ovi Maps with support limited to only a small number of popular handsets. If you don't happen to own any of the popular handsets, good luck waiting (and wondering).

Bonus gripe: Anyone recall the craptacular Facebook WRT on the E71 that somehow got rolled into the equally abysmal Communities beta app that got pulled after overwhelming negative comments? Me neither.
Ads

Old 18-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Bonus gripe: Anyone recall the craptacular Facebook WRT on the E71 that somehow got rolled into the equally abysmal Communities beta app that got pulled after overwhelming negative comments? Me neither.
Another epic Beta Labs Fail.

I heard Ansi is winding Beta Labs down, let's hope that rumor is true and the quality improves.