All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 10-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by bheetebrij View Post
However, I think the thing that continues to worry me with Nokia's phones is the third party apps. For instance, the world cup now comes up and the iPhone has plenty of decent apps to follow the event. The best Symbian has is the AP app and it is so slow that it is basically unusable. I don't know whether it is a poorly programmed app or whether WRT is not up to the job yet. In any case, if Nokia wants me to seriously consider the N8, they'll have to show that the N8 will do better with these things.

As a side not, to what extend are you buying into a "dead-end" with Symbian 3? Supposedly, Symbian 4 is just around the corner and represents a platform break. I bought an N900 last December, but have already sold it as I feel Nokia has not given it the support it deserves (given its capabilities and price). Will the same happen with Nokia N8?
The app-gap is going to be continue to be a concern, but this is improving and will continue to do so (especially next year). Things like the Nokia Qt SDK and the maturing Ovi Store will help. As with anything else you have to balance this against other factors. I think most people will find there's relatively few third party apps they use lots and lots - whereas a decent camera is a must have (depends on person clearly).

I think you can overplay the buying into the dead end with Symbian^3 - there's going to be plenty of Symbian^3 devices and while Symbian^4 will arrive in relatively short order this does not mean Symbian^3 will go away. I also would expect Qt will mean more 'back ported apps' than usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
AAS - are you able to get official confirmation of DivX capability? (playback, but recording too would be a major bonus!)
It does not have it. However I will seek some clarification on this early next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabeuk View Post
I know N8 is pitched as mid-to-high-end, but isn't it likely to be the new 5800 ?

Get the price down a bit and why not? The hardware looks designed for that market.
Not really. I think there's a good bet that there will be a cheaper device that will be the new 5800. I'd say this is more like a touch version of the N86 - but that only a simple way of looking at it.

Quote:
The Nokia N8 is an amazing phone and I am sure it will deliver but seriously, could they have found a less charismatic bloke to present these clips. He is sooooo boring!
This is the N8's product manager - i.e. effectively the person in charge of creating the device. I would father rather hear from him than a mindless (PR) drone. It's way more genuine and honest. I think its great to see Nokia embrace this approach - different messaging and channels for different people - much better than a rendered 'fake' demo video.

And believe me doing those demos is a lot harder than it looks.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:43 PM

morpheus2702 is on a distinguished road
That was really cool, not sure how much I would even use such a function but have go admit that is a pretty impressive movie-making tool they have there in the works. Be interested to know what format the final cut together movies output in but it was nifty. And if you could mix in music...

Old 11-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yade View Post
The Nokia N8 is an amazing phone and I am sure it will deliver but seriously, could they have found a less charismatic bloke to present these clips. He is sooooo boring!
I'll take this guy over any of the self-absorbed pricks on the iphone videos, proclaiming how their product is 'going to change the way we communicate, forever'..

Old 11-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Klopot

not OTG - USB host

Jeeez, AFAIK OTG was a technology on devices equiped with USB host functionality which allows to copy all the content from slave device to mater with one touch of a button.
The N8 has rather USB host then OTG (but i suppose OTG can be emulated in software)......

Old 11-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Unregistered

Usb otg

USB OTG refers to the ability of the host to operate in either host or slave mode depending upon what you connect it to. Anything beyond that is something layered on top.
Ads

Old 11-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Unregistered

Re: DivX Xvid...

First, I would like to object re: divX being not the preferred video format for PC playback. Most of the movie downloads are still encoded in this format.

Secondly, even if mp4 and h.264 becomes the predominant format, these are formats that Nokia smartphones have supported since a decade ago (in addition to .3gp).

The robustness of a device's multimedia capabilities hinge largely on 1) the interface and 2) the number of standards its support (3.5 mm jack, bluetooth 2.2 audio profile, the number of multiple formats it can play natively)...

Old 11-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Unregistered

That's not "robustness". Get a dictionary.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:19 AM
Unregistered

English handwriting recognition.

Anyone know if this is supported?

Old 13-06-2010, 09:03 AM
stvn7

here's part 3 of 3
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...28325343857233