All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 01-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
How to: Remove scratches from your phone's camera 'glass'

Perhaps a little trivial and off-topic, but I thought readers might like to know how I got on with polishing out the micro-scratches in the camera 'glass' on my Nokia N95 8GB. Using Displex, bought for a song from eBay, I managed to get all the scratches out in under 5 minutes. If nothing else, bookmark this for the future in case your phone's display or camera cover get scratched?

Read on in the full article.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:40 PM

mCrem is on a distinguished road
Wow very helpful indeed.. I might get some and keep it in handy.. Would said method also work on glossy surfaces (Say, Samsung omniaHD backplate) or glass on a wrist watch?

Old 01-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Unregistered

No.. it works by polishing some of the material off - therefore it must be a relatively soft material i.e. the plastic screen from N95

Old 01-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Unregistered

Polish

Can this be used for the screen of the N96

Old 01-05-2009, 01:46 PM

Arcade is on a distinguished road
I dont know. You are removing matter from your lens. Sounds like a big thing to me...

Old 01-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Unregistered

Warning

Steve your N95 lens were never scratched, it's the antiglare layer that's scratch and coming off. I had the same problem as you when I got my N95 and thought I scratched it, but after rubbing the lends with my bare finger for a few minutes I realize the "glass" was never scratched but the protective antiglare layer was coming off.

Displex is actually bad for many types of lens, I would advise you to update the post to tell people to try displex on a small surface of a similar material before putting it directly on their mobile device.

I tried using displex on a ipod before and what it does is it will grind your product and add a thin layer of polish to it. It will look new, but if you take a piece of cloth used for eye glass and wipe of the polish you will see a lot more tiny scratches on it.

Seriously, DONT USE DISPLEX!!!

If you have to use it, try it on a surface of a similar material to make sure it does work.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the warning. I agree that a polishing agent like this shouldn't be used on a *lens*. But we're talking about a dumb piece of covering plastic here.

And I also agree about the common sense technique for trying a small portion before tackling a larger surface.

Still, at least we know that Displex cuts off a scratched anti-glare coating! 8-)

Old 01-05-2009, 04:14 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
I've had reasonable success with Brasso (UK) and Duraglit (US) with removing light scratches from various PSP's and phone screens. Disclaimer: test on a small section of the screen first!

Old 03-05-2009, 11:00 AM

snoyt is on a distinguished road
polishing

There is stuff to fix scratches in CD's. That might be a better bet for fixing plastic optical surfaces.

Another option is anything that is used to polish real lenses. Choose one of the many cerium-oxide-based polishing agents such as like Vitrox C or Rhodite 15. According to the wikipedia
Brasso can also be used to polish out scratches in plastics:

* It is used to polish CDs, DVDs, screens, and pools in order to repair scratches. It is a mild solvent and an extremely fine abrasive, so when applied to the reflective surface of the disc and rubbed radially (in straight lines between the edge and center), it can smooth scratches and reduce their effect.[3][4] [5]
* Brasso can also be used on Lego minifigures to remove markings.[6]
* Brasso has also been used by watch enthusiasts to polish scratches out of acrylic crystals on watches.

If have seen Brasso being used to 'fix' (remove) the damaged AR-coating of a optical lens.

In any case, safe the tube of Displex. It might be handy for fixing the front of the N82, with it being plastic, it scratches pretty quick.

snoyt

Old 04-05-2009, 05:17 PM

wampyre is on a distinguished road
I see you followed my little tip there

Anyway as some of the comments states Displex should not be used with glass.
When it comes to the plastic covers such as N95 8gb and N96 it's more than decent to use a bit of it and start polishing. Even small scrathes will be fixed if you manage to polish the 'fluid' inside.

Personally I've only had experience with the plastic of screens and lenses such as on the 6600, N73 and N95 all in which was quite perfectly polished. One of the tricks is simply not to use too much force as the Displex I believe contains something that might scratch up things further if you apply too much force.
(Compare that to waxing a car with polish manually and you know what I mean)

As for lenses such as on the N82 I've yet to see some wonder product that will fix scratches on such lenses.

Old 14-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Unregistered

there is an even better solution: available for Nokia N79 (and other camera-phones where there is a camera-cap). Simply disassemble the phone and remove the plastic screen from the back-plate (b cover). The camera is still protected with the cap closed and can be used with full functionality and cap open.
See also this link:http://sweunlockers.com/index.php?op...rectlink&id=19

Old 07-06-2010, 01:03 AM
Threat19

???

Can i use Displex on the screen of the Pantech Impact?
Ads