All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-12-2009, 09:22 AM

bobthebuilder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebuilder View Post
Took my N97 into the Nottingham UK branch of carphone warehouse who are my local service centre yesterday.
Explained that I had the problem with the GPS dropping its signal and that Nokia had released a new back plate with extra shielding to sort the problem.
" thats a new one on me " he says " I'll check with our sevice technician " 5 mins later " Our service technician hasn't heard of any problems with the GPS or of any replacement parts " " leave it with us and we'll see what we can do " " I'll log it in as a software fault ".
Have I any faith in getting it sorted - no not really.

After leaving the phone with carphone warehouse for 4 weeks and hearing nothing I phoned them yesterday to check on the progress to be told that it was all sorted and ready for collection. So in I go to pick it up, guy on reception goes to get the phone and is away a good 5 mins, comes back and tells me that they have done a tempory repair but that it needs a new back plate that they havn't got in stock. Annoyed I tell them that I new it needed a new back plate and told them that when I took it in, at this point I'm told no its okay we have fitted a new back part to fix the GPS problem but there is a Mk2 new back plate that they want to fit for me but haven't got in stock, but the GPS is now fine. Tried it on my way to work this morning and what a surprise it's dropping the signal lock all the time. Carphone Warehouse suck I'll try the guy out at Newark now.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:25 AM

Idle Mind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
After leaving the phone with carphone warehouse for 4 weeks and hearing nothing I phoned them yesterday to check on the progress to be told that it was all sorted and ready for collection. So in I go to pick it up, guy on reception goes to get the phone and is away a good 5 mins, comes back and tells me that they have done a tempory repair but that it needs a new back plate that they havn't got in stock. Annoyed I tell them that I new it needed a new back plate and told them that when I took it in, at this point I'm told no its okay we have fitted a new back part to fix the GPS problem but there is a Mk2 new back plate that they want to fit for me but haven't got in stock, but the GPS is now fine. Tried it on my way to work this morning and what a surprise it's dropping the signal lock all the time. Carphone Warehouse suck I'll try the guy out at Newark now.
Ah that sucks - I got a phone call from the Newark place yesterday telling me they had the parts in stock finally so they've put one of each aside for me and I'm getting it done next week - hopefully they got a few in so you should be able to get it sorted straight away!

Old 07-01-2010, 09:14 AM

bobthebuilder is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Waited till after Xmas and finally took my N97 into Phill Taylor electronics at Newark on Tuesday. Picked it back up 1 day later and it is now working fine full signal lock not dropping signal at all and the accuracy is fine.

Trouble is I no longer really like the N97 because of all the hassle. My mate at work got an iphone for Xmas and it looks so good I suspect I'll be deserting Nokia before very long.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:07 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Trouble is I no longer really like the N97 because of all the hassle.
Have you any idea how illogical that statement is?

Anyhow, best of luck if you go for an iPhone 3GS. A workmate says his iPhone 3G/2G reception is terrible compared to his old phone (same network).

Old 08-01-2010, 09:17 AM

symbianst3ph3n is on a distinguished road
I went to a Nokia care centre today and i was explaining the problem and they said yes we're replacing all n97 back parts. and i'll get my n97 back within three working days
Ads

Old 15-02-2010, 04:27 PM

pepxsounds is on a distinguished road
dez_borders: You said you used an NCC in Edinburgh? This is also my nearest, but I've had conflicting info from both the ones I've contacted there.
Can you please let me know which one you used?

The Carphone Warehouse in Princess St said they can't do repair on site but will flash it as standard to see if that fixes the fault (not likely) and will send to Nokia for repair as it's a delicate job. However, there is likely to be a 7 - 10 day turnaround.

The AIM Centre place on Dalry Rd, also listed on Nokia Website as being an NCC in Edinburgh, told me they could fit the part while I was there.

Now I'm seeing posts about backplate replacement too I'm unsure whether I get it fixed in store, or try manage without my phone for the duration of the repair in the hope that Nokia/Carphone Warehouse do all/any fixes it needs?

Old 15-02-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepxsounds View Post
dez_borders: You said you used an NCC in Edinburgh? This is also my nearest, but I've had conflicting info from both the ones I've contacted there.
Can you please let me know which one you used?

The Carphone Warehouse in Princess St said they can't do repair on site but will flash it as standard to see if that fixes the fault (not likely) and will send to Nokia for repair as it's a delicate job. However, there is likely to be a 7 - 10 day turnaround.

The AIM Centre place on Dalry Rd, also listed on Nokia Website as being an NCC in Edinburgh, told me they could fit the part while I was there.

Now I'm seeing posts about backplate replacement too I'm unsure whether I get it fixed in store, or try manage without my phone for the duration of the repair in the hope that Nokia/Carphone Warehouse do all/any fixes it needs?
I used the independent one, Aim Centre on Dalry Road. Friendly and efficient.
CPW would by my last resort, in fact I would use the Freepost Nokia Repair centre before any CPW!

I will probably have the backplate replaced in a few months, as I have some scratches on the edges of the camera lens - but so far not affecting picture quality so in no rush

Old 15-02-2010, 08:49 PM

pepxsounds is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
I used the independent one, Aim Centre on Dalry Road. Friendly and efficient.
CPW would by my last resort, in fact I would use the Freepost Nokia Repair centre before any CPW!

I will probably have the backplate replaced in a few months, as I have some scratches on the edges of the camera lens - but so far not affecting picture quality so in no rush
Thanks mate! I think I will use AIM Centre too and just ask about the backplate while I'm there. I guess it's in their interest to do as many fixes as they can if they get paid by Nokia for it.

Old 15-02-2010, 08:52 PM

GremlinUK is on a distinguished road
Hi all,

I have 2 N97's and I had an excellent service from CPW in Trafford Park, Manchester.

I called up, they had the parts in for one (new GPS antenna and camera lens/cover) and did the repair within an hour. They also took my details and called me a few days later when part were in for the other one, again all done within an hour.

10/10 for service.

I also have to say the GPS on my N97 is every bit as good as my old N95 now - perfect and Ovi maps now works flawlessly. If you are nt happy with the performance of the GPS on your phone you must get this fix done, it's well worth the hassle.

Old 15-02-2010, 09:13 PM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Have you any idea how illogical that statement is?
Not very illogical I'd say, the whole experience of the n97 has been disheartening at best for me.

I still think my n95 is awesome - currently using it whilst my n97 is in the peterborough care point for new gps, new camera, deadspots in the touchscreen and - the icing on the cake - no longer starting up.

But then then n95 only had software issues.

I've had 3 n97's in 9 months, camera lens replaced 3 times and frankly I wish I'd never bought it. If Nokia ever see fit to resolve the camera & gps issues (which apparently they have) it'll still have not enough c: to be the poweruser device it should have been.

Disappointed...

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 15-02-2010, 10:03 PM

Lasikie is on a distinguished road
Unfortunatly I'm stuck with the phone. I've had the GPS and Lens' replaced and the phone swapped once and I'm still have trouble. I've had to purchase the bluetooth gps just so I can use this phone as I intended to when I ordered it.

Old 16-02-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecozens View Post
Not very illogical I'd say, the whole experience of the n97 has been disheartening at best for me.
If Nokia ever see fit to resolve the camera & gps issues (which apparently they have) it'll still have not enough c: to be the poweruser device it should have been.
It's sad and strange at the same time that your experience has been sooooo different to mine... and to the 75+% of N97 owners in UK who didn't return their handsets to their network provider for replacement with a different model. I had the GPS issue briefly, and have the camera lens scratch now (not bad enough yet for me to bother about), but at least these a now quickly fixable for free. I also don't have any out-of-memory issues on C: so I don't know what I do different to you?

I wish you better luck with your next model of handset, from whatever supplier.

Last edited by dez_borders; 16-02-2010 at 07:37 AM.

Old 16-02-2010, 12:37 PM

GremlinUK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's sad and strange at the same time that your experience has been sooooo different to mine... and to the 75+% of N97 owners in UK who didn't return their handsets to their network provider for replacement with a different model. I had the GPS issue briefly, and have the camera lens scratch now (not bad enough yet for me to bother about), but at least these a now quickly fixable for free. I also don't have any out-of-memory issues on C: so I don't know what I do different to you?

I wish you better luck with your next model of handset, from whatever supplier.
I can only echo this. The only times i have had the out of memory error what when i used Nokia Messaging. It, stupidly, stored a LOT of email of the c: drive and started causing out of memory issues. I can only think Dave has been incredibly unlucky or something else is not right. We have 2 in our family, i know of 5 others who have them. Only the GPS and camer is the issue which Nokia fix perfectly well.

I use the phone heavily and constantly - in fact it's almost replaced my laptop for most uses.

It does have it's shortcomings, but then again show me a phone doesn't. It's by far the best handset i've had in the last 17 years (I started on a vodafone analogue handset in 1993). The last 14 years have all been Nokia handsets which were (in order):

9000 communicator (Good idea but I didnt keep long, too bulky)
8110 "Banana phone"
7650 (First symbian phone I owned)
N80
N85
N95
N97

I've tried other phones but none seem as well made as Nokia handsets. We'll see what somes next - especially is Symbian^3 is anything like the teaser videos. We just need to get more developers on board to have an better range of apps.