All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 03-02-2010, 09:14 PM
John C

I8910 ram

My i8910 also starts with around 155mb of ram on boot up. Been running for around 6 days without switching off and running around 6 apps and still it sits at 118mb.
Think maybe some are talking about the 'C' drive?

Old 04-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Unregistered

This application doesn't work on my 5800

I have only 3 applications on C, but the memory is full. Ramblow says 59.41 MB free and the native File Manager says C:Phone Memory free: 6.8 MB!
I had to delete Quickoffice because the message Memory Full poped up constantly. I cannot see how this application can help. It closes running applications, but that's it. Or perhaps I am not using it in the right way, in this case let me know if there is something different to do than Clean up.

I am fed up with the memory problems. Every time I reboot my 5800 because of this, I have to spend to much time to set up correctly the phone, re enter the podcasts, and so on. I there is nothing new from Symbian quickly, I will get a Nexus

Old 06-02-2010, 03:36 PM

Jejoma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C View Post
My i8910 also starts with around 155mb of ram on boot up. Been running for around 6 days without switching off and running around 6 apps and still it sits at 118mb.
Think maybe some are talking about the 'C' drive?
You're right, I'm on the wrong tack. My problem is the C drive. It starts with only 40.48Mb (That's from DeviceInfo) and unfortunately programs such as Ovi Maps insist on loading onto it rather than mass memory or memory card. Hence I'm currently down to 18Mb.

RAM starts with 254 I've had no problems there (i8910).

Old 08-02-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Support@CPS View Post
Yes, you are mixing two different things:

(1) RAM, also called runtime memory: space in which active programs are running. This is what RAMblow cleans up, to make sure you can start up other programs.

(2) Drive C, also called phone memory: space where data are permanently stored, including installed programs. RAMblow has nothing to do with this item, file managers serve for that purpose.

If your problem is surely the little space on Drive C, then you need to uninstall applications, or delete some other data (like messages, images, video, etc.).
The Samsung i8910 seems to differ slightly from the standard Symbian way of handling memory. Ignoring the memory card there are three separate areas of memory:

(1) RAM - As above but having 250Mb or so there is no problem here.

(2) Drive C - As above, the phone memory. This is where the Samsung has problems because this memory starts at only about 40Mb and rapidly fills (I'm currently operating on 15Mb). Only certain data and programs are installed here, generally those such as Ovi Maps or Messaging that do not give an option as to where to store them. Another memory hog is the Quick Office upgrade. Certainly using file managers can help but a lot of this memory seems taken up by various System files that I would not risk deleting.

(3) Drive E - Also known as Mass Memory. This is where most programs can be installed and data stored. Starting with 16GB I'm not expecting any problems here!

So in summary it looks like Ramblow does not solve the i8910 memory problem. Rather judicious use of the small Drive C memory is the only way.
Ads

Old 09-02-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Support@CPS View Post
Drive E: is the memory card itself on most S60 devices!
Ah, that's where the i8910 really wins out since as well as the onboard Drive E: 16Mb Mass Memory it also takes a memory card in drive F:. Currently that adds another 16Mb so I can carry all sorts of rubbish about with me in a pretty unlimited sort of way