All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 30-03-2009, 05:30 AM
Unregistered

Hi Tzer2! Have you tried the Nokia Messaging, their so-called push email? My understanding of push email is when there's an email for me, say in Gmail, Nokia Email will send me a message (kinda like of a text message) informing me that I have a new email. I do not have to open the application and connect to the internet to receive that mail notification, unless I want to download and read the full message and not the header only.

But when I tried the said client application in my 5800 (in closed beta), the application should always be ON (or hidden, NOT closed) in order to retrieve email. Just want to ask you if this is also the behavior of Nokia Messaging on other devices, since currently I only have 5800 and never tested it on other device. I don't know if this behavior only applies to 5800 since the application for this device is still in beta. Thanks!

Old 30-03-2009, 05:55 PM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmaxwaterma View Post
It looks like my assumption that it would somehow cause higher load on the imap server may be incorrect. I guess it's only some MUAs that do that. In which case, it makes sense to make the interval as small as possible so that it'll reconnect quickly if the IP connection is lost (dhcp lease timeout, or temporarily lost cell/wifi connection). I'm changing mine to 5 mins or smaller, if there is one.
I was wrong. Setting it to 5 minutes causes a new log in to the IMAP server every 5 minutes, instead of keeping the same connection - this is according to the IMAP server logs[1]. So, I'm changing them back to 30 minutes.

Someone here quoted something/one that said that you don't need to set automatic retrieval at all, which might be true with a constant data connection - say you're at home all the time and are always using the same wifi connection - but that is rarely the case for me. No, I move around with my mobile phone and swap connections pretty often - each time the connection changes, the IP connection is broken and needs to be re-established, which only happens at the rate of the automatic retrieval setting. This is what makes it different to true push email. Having a 'long' retrieval interval is good for the server load, but means that you might be off IDLE for up to that same interval... I think I can live without immediate notification of my email arrival for that often. I'll save the rapid polling for when I'm expecting something important

Old 30-03-2009, 07:17 PM

coffeecat is on a distinguished road
Hi again.

My problem with email alerts not working has mysteriously righted itself overnight with no user intervention...

Yesterday evening I had loads of emails, all picked up OK by the phone automatically, BUT not a single alert icon on the home screen, no alert sound, nothing.

The phone is now set not to auto-retrieve emails during normal "sleep hours", and when it resumed email retrieval at 8.00am this morning, it started producing alerts again just like it's supposed to. I did nothing to it overnight, changed no settings, nothing.

So I'm happy with my 5800 again, although don't you just hate it when computers, phones etc behave apparently inconsistently?! Drives me mad. Last week the s*dding thing decided one day that it didn't have volume control on the music player (just max volume) - volume worked fine on phone calls, and on the video player (via all 3 methods - touch screen, side buttons, headset buttons). But not at all on the music player app. Did the classic "turn it off and on again" thing, and all's well again. Pah - gadgets, can't live with em, can't live without em...

CC

PS - yeah, I too am hoping I will be able to use Nokia Messaging when the "production" 5800 version is released.

Old 30-03-2009, 08:23 PM

I find strangenesses on my e71 too. Sometimes there're no new mails listed on home screen and/or pressing the mail button does nothing. I can't quite figure it out...

Old 01-04-2009, 12:19 AM

biggruss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzer2 View Post
Coffeecat,

I've just tested IMAP idling on my 5800 and my Gmail account using the method in the tutorial and it works fine. I've received several emails at the expected intervals (including the maximum of every 5 minutes), and they come through fine even if I've shut down the Messaging app. I'm using a Gmail account with POP disabled and IMAP enabled, and I verified from the phone mailbox's settings section that it was using IMAP.

Try this:

Are you following the tutorial method exactly, point by point, letter for letter? I say this because it's very easy to accidentally switch off the automatic retrieval if you try doing things a different way. There's a section of the settings labelled "E-mail notifications" which needs to be DISABLED if you actually want notifications of new e-mail.

Yes, that sounds counter-intuitive and it's Nokia's fault for using such deceptive terms, but that's the case. If you disable "e-mail notifications" and enable "e-mail retrieval", IMAP and POP should work fine even when you've exited the application. When I first tried using the 5800 I had notifications enabled and wondered why I didn't get told about new messages, it's a very easy mistake to make.

These are my e-mail settings which work with my GMail IMAP mailbox:

More things to try:

-Are you sure your mailbox is set to check itself often enough? You have to set the checking interval every time you add a new mailbox, it won't remember your interval setting from another mailbox.

-Have you enabled IMAP properly in your Gmail account? As you probably know you've got to enable IMAP in your gmail.com settings section before you can use it on IMAP clients.

-If you still can't get IMAP to work, try POP. You can get exactly the same push-esque functionality from POP, I've used it quite a lot while writing this tutorial, and never had any problems.

Haven't noticed anything like that on my 5800 (and I am running the v20 firmware).

Do you mean the desktop Ovi client?

so, i have set my phone to ork like this, and seems ok

i have an @btinternet.com mail address, which as far as i can make out only works for pop3,not imap. i am not a heavy user of email on my phone, so am wondering if these settings are a bit ott for me.

what i would like to know is if set for every 5 minutes checking, i have it set to headers only, access point as internet which will be as default my wlan at home for about 50% of the time and over 3g the rest of the time. is this going to drain the battery a lot, and will it use up lots of data, i get 500meg as part of my package and don't want this eaten away by checking for emails when i don'y use them that often, but like the conveniance of almost instant email delivery

Old 01-04-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzer2 View Post
If you still can't get IMAP to work, try POP. You can get exactly the same push-esque functionality from POP, I've used it quite a lot while writing this tutorial, and never had any problems.
I'm not sure what this is about. IINM, POP is completely polling based, and so you *have* to have this frequent polling else you'll never be notified of new emails.

IMAP has IDLE and so you don't *have to* have a frequent polling - the only point in such a thing is to re-establish the TCP/IP connection, if it's been severed by whatever (DHCP/loss of signal).

Has POP had an IDLE mode added while I wasn't looking?

Old 06-04-2009, 05:07 AM
Unregistered

About Email connection

I'm in the U.S. and I just received my 5800 and the email was working fine up until yesterday. Now it wont connect. Whenever I go to Options>Connect in my Yahoo!Mail or GMail account, it just says connecting for a while and then it says that it timed out. I don't know what to do and this is annoying me very much, as I've tried multiple settings combinations with no success.
Ads

Old 06-05-2009, 03:33 AM
Unregistered

Retreiving email messages via nokia 5800

Hi guys. just want to ask. if you have deleted any email messages in your email via your laptop, is there anyway you can retreive the same messages if you access your email using your nokia 5800?

Old 19-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Unregistered

Full Retrieve

Is there any way to make automatic retrieval download the FULL email?
imo is useless for the phone to start wifi conect check for new headers disconnect
and then have to retrieve every singe mail manuall if u wanna see them

i want the phone to connect ever, let's say, one hour, check for mails, if any new, download the full email, then disconnect.

any way to make this happen?

Old 19-06-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is there any way to make automatic retrieval download the FULL email?
imo is useless for the phone to start wifi conect check for new headers disconnect
and then have to retrieve every singe mail manuall if u wanna see them

i want the phone to connect ever, let's say, one hour, check for mails, if any new, download the full email, then disconnect.

any way to make this happen?

I don't think there's a way to do this, at least with IMAP.

You might be able to do this sort of thing with POP...worth a try, I guess.

Max.

Old 22-06-2009, 07:21 AM
Unregistered

IMAP allows full message retrieval

It's just that Nokia's messaging client doesn't offer this option. Why not? I don't know, it makes no sense to me. They have 95% of the required code done already...

Old 22-12-2009, 01:21 AM
Unregistered

nokia 5800 email

hey

am just wondering why i have to go all the way to mailbox and connect to see if i have a new email? sum times when i am connected i hve to disconnect and connect back!

all help will be appreciated

Old 23-12-2009, 06:45 AM

ignatiusmael is on a distinguished road
* How to set up your first e-mail account

1. From the main standby screen, press the white menu button.

2. Select "Messaging".

3. Select "Mailbox - Create New".

4. It asks if you want to define a mailbox, select "Yes".

5. Select "Start".

6. Enter your e-mail address, then select "OK".

7. Enter your password, then select "OK".

8. A message will tell you the setup is complete, select "OK".

The phone will ask if you want to connect to the mailbox, do this to test that the mailbox works.

If you want to check your e-mail manually, just go to Messaging and select your mailbox, the phone will automatically ask if you want to check for new mail. If you want the phone to check your e-mail automatically, see the instructions below.