All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia N80

Old 05-07-2006, 10:27 PM

LesLesleyson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash
If you are connected to the net, then install orb (www.orb.com) and you will be able to stream all your media, pictures, music, video and live tv over the net to your N80.
I am not that comfortable with using Orb as it is pretty resource heavy, and also I don't like the idea of some website having a list of all my files on record so for these reasons I don't use it.

However I found a different piece of free software which sets up a streaming MP3 server on your machine without having to register at a website (http://www.vibestreamer.com/).

This is a pretty good piece of software which uses minimal memory and bandwidth. However I cannot get it to work in the N80s browser (or in Opera) if anyone else can manage it I reckon it could be a goer...

Old 06-07-2006, 08:41 AM

Cash is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLesleyson
I am not that comfortable with using Orb as it is pretty resource heavy, and also I don't like the idea of some website having a list of all my files on record so for these reasons I don't use it.

However I found a different piece of free software which sets up a streaming MP3 server on your machine without having to register at a website (http://www.vibestreamer.com/).

This is a pretty good piece of software which uses minimal memory and bandwidth. However I cannot get it to work in the N80s browser (or in Opera) if anyone else can manage it I reckon it could be a goer...

I dont find orb recorce heavy at all, it happily sits running all day and I have no probs with the speed or operation of my computer

The great thing I like about orb is thats its very simple to set up and you can view almost any type of file, but I think vibestreamer is limited to music isn't it.

I am not sure but I dont think that the developers of orb have a list of your files, and if they do I think it would be impractible for them to have a sneaky look at the millions of people who use this service.

Orb for me is great because it allows me to watch movies and live TV on my phone anywhere I wish as long as I have a connection.

cheers for the link, will have a look to see if I can get it to work.

Last edited by Cash; 06-07-2006 at 09:18 AM.
Ads

Old 06-07-2006, 08:58 AM

Cash is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLesleyson

I can access the program in my web browser and see the folders I selected, but cant open them or see any music.

I think this may be because the mobile browsers are not supported, the N80 browser doesn't allow me to click on any of my folders to open them up :( apart from that it looks like it could be a good way to stream music when they get it to work.

and I am also convinced that this is a problem with the way the flash music player works in the web browser because it doesn't load, it may be a limitation of the flash lite that is installed on the N80.

so unless vibestreamer redesign the web browser to rectify these issue's I dont think it will work. I have raised the issue on the vibestreamer forum, so hopefully a solution can be found.

Last edited by Cash; 06-07-2006 at 09:57 AM.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:44 PM
Banned

BlackN91 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6fs View Post
Hi Guys,
Im looking for a new phone and have narrowed it down to 3.
One criteria i am interested in is the ability to browse a computer on a wireless network.
I would like to open various documents, mp3's and videos.
Is this possible with the N80?
Cheers.
Unfortunately having the right phone is not enough as you need special software as well.

One of the options is SymSMB v.2.00.
The trial version download is available on official site here.
With this application you will able to browse network files using your phone.
Also you can do the opposite - browse phone files from computer.
As about opening files, then this application will not do it for you if we are talking about using phone to open network file.
In opposite direction all will work fine, you can use computer to open file located on phone.

Last edited by BlackN91; 24-11-2007 at 10:07 AM.

Old 30-09-2009, 10:46 PM

who_giv3s_a_fuk is on a distinguished road
hi can some one help me with my nokia n80 i cant stream on my cell i want to b able to watch youtube or videos online can some one help me please????