All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-06-2009, 07:46 AM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Inconsistant access point usage

I know other people have similar issues so I just thought I would add my observations.

Ideally I want the phone to automatically switch to WIFI when it's in range of my, or another pre-defined WIFI access points.

So, in the settings I've changed the priorities so that WIFI is above the T-Mobile 3G access point.

I've previously read that if you come home and you are already connected to 3G then the phone won't automatically switch to WIFI unless you disconnect 3G first by holding the red button.

When I do this however, if I try to access the Facebook widget it connects to 3G again. If I then try to cancel the connection I get into a loop of messages asking if I want to disable the Widget's access to the internet. Then, sometimes, I get a message saying there is an internal error and that I must re-start the phone.

I've also tried disconnecting the 3G, and then manually connecting the WIFI before then trying to access Facebook - in this situation the 3G just connects again and I then have both 3G and WIFI connected at the same time.

However, if I'm at home and I re-start the phone and then try and access the Facebook widget it sometimes asks me to choose which I access point I want. I can then choose WIFI which then allows me to open the Facebook application without it opening the 3G connection - however this doesn't always mean the application works because sometimes it says it can't retrieve any information once it's loaded.

Internet Explorer is OK because the application it's self has the setting to always ask which access point to use.

It's all a bit confusing!

The only thing I haven't tried is to remove the Facebook application from the home screen and see if that changes the way it behaves.

I do wonder though if the nature of home screen widgets means that they are designed for 3G access only, in which case I'd accept it but it does slightly annoy me that I know the phone can use WIFI for the widgets but I just can't work out how to consistently get them to do it!

Good phone though generally speaking, but pretty buggy - I've had to take the battery out a couple of times because after a crash but I still think I've made the correct choice not to get an I-phone!

Old 26-06-2009, 04:49 PM

jim_0068 is on a distinguished road
The problem lies in how the software and destinations are created; for instance:

1) Some access points lets you choose a destination for your connectivity such as internet, WAP, multimedia. THEN once you point that destination to that choice it will use the access points you have defined IN that destination (in priority order) to connect to the interent. So let me give you an example

Let's say you setup the Internet destination as: wifi priority 1, 3g priority 2, edge priority 3. So for those applications that are POINTED to the "internet destination" it should cycle through those priorities based on what is available as long as you have "connect automatically" enabled. A bit confusing but it works no doubt.

HOWEVER

2) The big issue is that not all the applications or connectivity works this way; in some of them there is no way to choose the destination ONLY THE ACCESS POINT! This forces you, the user, to choose which connection you want that particular application to access versus choosing a destination.

So as an example if you choose wifi and then leave your wifi it won't auto switch to 3g or edge; it will be stuck on wifi and won't change unless you manually go into it and switch it which is imo just dumb for a "smart phone."

Hope that helps
Ads

Old 26-06-2009, 05:57 PM

Soony is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
I know other people have similar issues so I just thought I would add my observations.

Ideally I want the phone to automatically switch to WIFI when it's in range of my, or another pre-defined WIFI access points.

So, in the settings I've changed the priorities so that WIFI is above the T-Mobile 3G access point.

I've previously read that if you come home and you are already connected to 3G then the phone won't automatically switch to WIFI unless you disconnect 3G first by holding the red button.

When I do this however, if I try to access the Facebook widget it connects to 3G again. If I then try to cancel the connection I get into a loop of messages asking if I want to disable the Widget's access to the internet. Then, sometimes, I get a message saying there is an internal error and that I must re-start the phone.

I've also tried disconnecting the 3G, and then manually connecting the WIFI before then trying to access Facebook - in this situation the 3G just connects again and I then have both 3G and WIFI connected at the same time.

However, if I'm at home and I re-start the phone and then try and access the Facebook widget it sometimes asks me to choose which I access point I want. I can then choose WIFI which then allows me to open the Facebook application without it opening the 3G connection - however this doesn't always mean the application works because sometimes it says it can't retrieve any information once it's loaded.

Internet Explorer is OK because the application it's self has the setting to always ask which access point to use.

It's all a bit confusing!

The only thing I haven't tried is to remove the Facebook application from the home screen and see if that changes the way it behaves.

I do wonder though if the nature of home screen widgets means that they are designed for 3G access only, in which case I'd accept it but it does slightly annoy me that I know the phone can use WIFI for the widgets but I just can't work out how to consistently get them to do it!

Good phone though generally speaking, but pretty buggy - I've had to take the battery out a couple of times because after a crash but I still think I've made the correct choice not to get an I-phone!
I've the same issue, and this only applies to the home screen. All other software would choose the next priority on the list.

You could, although not intuitive and troublesome, change the priority and rearrange the priority of the 1st and 2nd access points under Internet. When you access the widget, it should ask you to choose the access point you want to use again.

This is very stupid though... hope they have a solution soon

Old 27-06-2009, 07:59 AM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your comments.

jim_0068, what is the different between a destination, and an access point?

In settings I have 2 Access point, my WIFI and T-Mobile Internet.

However, when I access Internet explorer it offerers me my WIFI or WAP service "t-zones". What is the WAP services? If I select it I can still connect to the net. If I want to get T-mobile Internet from this selection I have to go to Options and select an access point.

Last edited by BanziBarn; 27-06-2009 at 08:09 AM.