All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-05-2009, 09:33 PM

Scarlet is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Is it possible to lock a mobile phone only with an IMEI??

Hi there,

My question is if it is possible to lock a (previous unlocked) mobile phone only with the the IMEI number.

I have an Nokia 5800 Xpress Music for 1 week now. I decided to unlock it because I am travelling soon and I want to use it abroad. For that I went into a shop on my main road and asked if its possible or not to unlock it. The guy decided to trick me and unlocked it even before I accept the price or ask him to really unlock it!!

Then he came to me asking me for 20
I didn't pay that amount because anyway I think it's too much to unlock a mobile phone with a code which can be around 5.

So he said within 7 days, he would lock it again (only this time he would lock the phone for any network in UK, like when a cell is stolen).

My question is if this is possible.
The only thing he has from me is the IMEI number, brand and model!

I bought the phone legally anyway and I can prove it.
I just want to hear from you if its possible or not !

Regards

Scarlet

Old 21-05-2009, 06:35 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
Hi there,

So he said within 7 days, he would lock it again (only this time he would lock the phone for any network in UK, like when a cell is stolen).

Regards

Scarlet
If a handset is reported as stolen, it will be blocked from all UK networks. However, as the shop owner does not own the handset, he would be breaking the law by doing so.

I don't think you are at any risk of it happening, and he/she was just trying to frightening you into paying the 20.

P.S. 20 is actually a fair price for BB5 unlocking, but the shop owner should have discussed this with you before going ahead and doing the work.

Old 21-05-2009, 11:08 AM

Thank you.

I do think so, as well.
They are just trying to scare me. Otherwise, why wait for 7 days and why telling me so?

I called the network, they say it is impossible because they would have to give my details (name and address) when they report it to the police.

Also, the network helpline advise me to go to the police first and let them know.

PS: In this kind of shops, they always try to do this as they need money. But I can't accept this kind of behaviour on me.

Old 22-05-2009, 06:03 PM

natalie.matosm is on a distinguished road

Regards [/color][/font][/size]
Scarlet[/quote]

Well, From what i've heard the IMEI number is an unique number for each cel phone to identify it, it's sort of like the social security number for the phone and it is the same number in the whole world. So Technically it is possible to lock it. In fact when you report it as stolen that's the number they take (If you know it of course) to block it and avoid letting it be connected somewhere else. About your problem i guess it's a good idea to check with your network provider or the police. I'm not sure how it's better in your country.

Hope it helped

Old 22-05-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie.matosm View Post
About your problem i guess it's a good idea to check with your network provider or the police. I'm not sure how it's better in your country.

Hope it helped
Thanks for your opinion. I guess you're right!

I actually called my network and they said to block a mobile phone you have to go to the police, report it lost/stolen and give IMEI and your details and then call the network with the same information. So even if they do that, they don't have my personal details and my network will be my back up for this situation.

Old 24-05-2009, 11:32 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Once a phone is unlocked its unlocked forever. It can't be relocked. So he's lying to you. However that is a very fair price i would think. Of course your carrier usually unlocks your phone for you for free if you ask nicely.

Old 25-05-2009, 06:45 PM

mrochester is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
Once a phone is unlocked its unlocked forever. It can't be relocked. So he's lying to you. However that is a very fair price i would think. Of course your carrier usually unlocks your phone for you for free if you ask nicely.
I don't think the OP is talking about the sim lock being activated, more the IMEI number being blacklisted so that the phone doesn't work on any network.