All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-11-2008, 12:19 PM

swingerman is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Access point group is back on S60 3rd edition handsets

Hi All,

A new 3rd party application is available on selected or all (i don't know) s60 3rd edition handsets. Its called Smartconnect and made by Birdstep.

For those who nows what does it mean Access point group i don't have to explain.

For the rest of you: it makes possible to set up a set of access points as one access point group, this group will appear as an access point so you can assign it to any application.
For exaple you create a group called: home. In this you collect your operators 3g connection and your home wlan. The application can switch the 3g connection to the WiFi seamlessly and vica-versa. The better network connection is chosen automatically.
You can set up as many groups as you want for different scenarios.

The app is quite good configurable. You can set if the switching should be automatic etc.

How to get it?

Its only available through the download application on your phone for free.

Check now if its there!!

Cheers,

Old 18-11-2008, 12:41 PM

Albie999 is on a distinguished road
Is there any link to the application?

Old 18-11-2008, 05:51 PM

swingerman is on a distinguished road
No, as I wrote in my post it is available through the "download" application on your phone.

Cheers

Old 19-11-2008, 02:54 AM

vbap is on a distinguished road
It seems BirdStep don't support this program anymore? I tried to find it on their website, but can only find pages relating to SmartConnect using the Search button from their website, and one of the FAQ says they do not sell / resell it anymore.

Is nokia giving away an unsupported app?

BTW, I have tried it last few days, and only issue is if none of the access points within the group are available, depending on what is happening at the time, it restarts my E71 (after giving message that SmartConnect could not connect to any available access points).

Old 23-11-2008, 04:12 PM

dbournique is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingerman View Post
No, as I wrote in my post it is available through the "download" application on your phone.

Cheers
It's not showing up in Download on my N95. At least not under "Applications", "What's Hot", "What's New" or "Promo".

Nokia Download is sort of worthless anyway, it doesn't even have a search function.

Could someone please upload SmartConnect to Mosh or GetJar so users can actually find it?

Old 28-11-2008, 11:12 AM

Tkn82 is on a distinguished road
Hi

Currently SmartConnect is only available for E51, E63, E66, E71 and E90. So the Download application will only show the SmartConnect in those phones.

- Tkn82

Old 28-11-2008, 12:38 PM

Jejoma is on a distinguished road
Since switching from UIQ3 to S60 I've had a list of moans about missing functions. At last one has appeared. It makes connecting to the internet so simple when moving around.

Old 13-02-2009, 08:03 AM

coolvabs is on a distinguished road
SmartConnect problem on E71

Hi!

I am not sure whether this thread is appropriate for the post, but posting anyway.
Ever since, I upgraded my E71 firmware to ver 200.21.118, I have been facing problem with SmartConnect. I have a group (named as Group with Smartconnect) with 2 WLAN and one GPRS access points with WLANs given first and second priority (and GPRS the last).
Now whenevre I connect the web browser or any other application requiring internet access and select Group as the access point, I fail to connect and I receive No gateway reply error. However within the advanced settings -> Status of SmartConnect I can see the Access Point as the available WLAAnd. Even in the connection manager I can see the WLAN connection active. However, if I try to connect browser/other apps directly though the WLAN access point, I am able to connect and everything works fine.
I tried deleting the group, reinstalling SmartConnect but nothing seems to work.* However, demo version of Psiloc Connect works fine on my E71.* I am using latest SmartConnect v1.2.61.
Would be glad if someone could help me.
Ads