All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 14-11-2008, 08:06 AM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
By one of those odd coincidences, today's daily Doonesbury is a timely reminder of how much technology has moved on.
http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/dail..._date=20081114
(you don't need to know who the characters are, it's just the last two frames and the punchline that are relevant)

Old 14-11-2008, 09:07 AM

Super Chimp is on a distinguished road
It's a shame that neither the Samsung M8800 with it's WVGA video recording was included in this or the LG KC910 which manages DIVx video recording. Both would have been better examples of feature phones than the ones that were actually used.

Old 14-11-2008, 09:56 AM

marketsqhero is on a distinguished road
Don't forget that the N85 also allows you to use the dual LED for a video light, be interesting to do an "in the pub" dark video and see which comes out top.

Old 14-11-2008, 11:04 AM

Barkotron is on a distinguished road
n85

Where would the N85 fit in here?

Old 14-11-2008, 11:20 AM

cirrus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The 6620 Classic is a far more significant device than any of the NSeries - why? Because it does not advertise itself as a smartphone, and is far cheaper than an NSeries, thus making it far more appealing to far more ordinary folk who would be put off by a smartphone tag and the price of a high end device. I am willing to bet the whole AAS team a pint each that the 6220 Classic will go on to sell far more eventually than the N95 does (if it has not already).
I recently got a 6220 Classic and have to admit it's a pretty nifty device for such a small package. Whether or not it will sell as well as an N95 I don't know. In the UK at least it does seem to be offered by quite a few operators as a "free" phone which is always a good sign.

Oddly, the things that seem to hold it back most are lack of support from Nokia: There's no N-Gage support (though the fact that they support the 6210 Navigator now is promising since I suspect that's quite similar under the hood), no Internet Radio app (I tried downloading a version for one of the other Nokia models and it installed but wouldn't start), no (official) Mac OS X iSync plug-in etc.
I'm pretty sure these things will come eventually, but the phone's been around for a few months now, so they do seem to be dagging their heals a little bit.

Sorry about being a little off-topic there. So, to get back on-topic: I haven't thoroughly tested the camera yet but it does seem to do the VGA@30fps video well enough. Probably not as crisp as an N95, but at least it's smooth! :-)

Last edited by cirrus; 14-11-2008 at 11:23 AM.

Old 14-11-2008, 04:38 PM

ILoveGadgets is on a distinguished road
I agree about the omission of the dual led vs xenon - this is one of the few areas where LED will win out over the generally more desirable big brother.

Again, the Innov8 does seem to have more vivid colours (unrealistic even) - a bit like those early colour movies of the 50's. The stills images are the same and it is one of the reasons I eventually didn't go for this model. Yes a s/w fix would be good, but it's been a while already.

BTW, further to your comment about the n96 video being really bad, I don't seem to have the same problems as you Steve. I seem to remember showing you some video shot on the 96 at the recent pub meet (we even compared sample shots of the pub crowd with the 93 and there wasn't a huge difference) - it is certainly comparable with my n95. Yes, a few tweaks here and there may be required, but actually it's really not that bad. Maybe you have a duff unit.

ILG
Ads

Old 01-01-2009, 08:10 AM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
Major specs missing from "Video recording"

As the owner of the N95 since its first introduction, I have managed to ditch away with my compact still camera and even my video camera so these comparisons have been very interesting to read.

One of the points I want to mention in the video recording is that despite all the specifications that manufacturers put on their phones, it fails to produce any real figures of video/audio capture BITRATES.

Yes, BITRATES is something that is extremely important in movies. If there are any of you here that has ever done any conversions from DVD to MP4, DIVX or XVID, you will know what I mean.

Bitrates should be mentioned and compared when looking at movies simply because two phones can have the same "specs" doing 640x480x30fps can produce different results - especially for fast moving scenes (where low bitrate like the current set of phones) will produce really blocky output.

Video compression works in the way that it will take alternating stills and then through its codec algorithms produce the in-between frames to get the desired effect of moving pictures. If the capture rate is too low and that the main reference frames are too far in between, it will mean the video be either very choppy or very blocky with little to no detail on the image quality.

For fair comparisons of video recording on mobile phones, the bitrate really needs to be taken into consideration .. hence why Nokia can never claim the current set of phones to be "DVD quality" (even though it is pretty much Interlaced NTSC rates) - but rather "DVD-Like-quality". DVDs have video bitrates of up to 10Mbit/sec..