All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-01-2007, 02:22 PM

vicster is on a distinguished road
N71 - No luck

hello folks.

I recently dispatched a support question for my newly aquired Nokia N71, because it keeps turning off with out any prior notice of doing so.. and it dosent realy matter wethere its in call or listning to radio og just opening the Clamshell.

i Recived a very useless reply from the nokia support staff denmark, telling me to seek on of the nokia service points and let them update the phone to solve the problem.

even tho i have already tried to update the phone from my own computer with no luck, it seems like the Nokia Update software disconnects the phone from the computer in its effort to detect whetere its connectet or not, pretty ironic aight?

this meaning i am unable to update the phone my self. ive been scouting around here at "All about Symbian" but it dose not seem theres alot with either the same problem or even the with this phone.
theres som advice around but it dose not realy cover my questions.

1. How the hell do you make that update program detect the phone with out disconnecting in from the computer?
2. what things should i take notice of before trying to update the phone with the automated software
(i can see various things poping up around sutch as
- Region of the world the phone where bought in
- something about a product code
- if there even exsists a update for you Region Specifications
- {the above} how do you even locate sutch info
- the update software can be downloaded for N71 but it dose not tell if ill end up with a phone with only 3 supported languages when im done
- what could be the cause for the update system to disconnect the phone from the computer?

I have been doing alot of mobilephone modding prior to my brand change from Motorola to Nokia, so i wont call my self unexperienced but i like to be well informed before i start messing around with hardware to 300$+

for my personal interrest my phone is bought in Denmark the properly means the phone resides with a EU product code.

ohh and if EVERY single one of these questions have already been answered please feel free to drop links and call me a blind newb.

Thanks
Vicster

Old 03-01-2007, 03:58 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
NSU is an Auto process, you only pres "Next", nothing more.
That disconnect that you talk, if is from PCSuite, is like that. And you must wait a little, then NSU begins with auto process. Is that clear?
Ads

Old 03-01-2007, 05:06 PM

well yes thank you that is very clear, the reason why i mention the "phone disconnected" is that it fits perfectly to the fact the NSU reports back that it where unable to detect any phone etc.

i could wait for years but i would still have the same 2 options "exit" & "try again"

Old 03-01-2007, 05:23 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Try uninstall the NSU, and clean registry with all entries related with NSU. Reboot PC. Install again and try...

Old 04-01-2007, 08:43 AM

yep saw that advice around here on the boards somewhere, unfortunately that dose not help either.. sorry, but thanks for the advice