All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-05-2008, 01:46 PM

norfi1983 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Hacking active standby!!!!

Hello all.

With all the new hacks appearing is there anyway that we can hack the active standby??????

There are plenty of applications that use the active standby, such as LCG JUKEBOX, S60 TICKER, FLICKR, OVI.

How do they use the active standby and how can we hack it??????

Anyone got any ideas or could you point me in the right direction. cheers guys.
Ads

Old 02-05-2008, 04:22 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
i'm interested in this too!!

Old 02-05-2008, 04:31 PM

waxup is on a distinguished road
I was playing around with this a while ago. The phone uses a registry kind of like that on a windows based PC. It's easier to "hack" active standby and such when your phone is branded rather than unbranded as it's easier to find the .mbm files that are used for the icons and such.

Most of it is done through unlocking the system files and using a filebrowser (such as Y-browser) and altering the .mbm's and other associated files.

Take note that most of these changes are hardcoded into the ROM of the phone and therefore are reset upon rebooting your phone.

Rosa Parks is my idol for I too refuse to get up out of my seat.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:22 PM

norfi1983 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxup View Post
I was playing around with this a while ago. The phone uses a registry kind of like that on a windows based PC. It's easier to "hack" active standby and such when your phone is branded rather than unbranded as it's easier to find the .mbm files that are used for the icons and such.

Most of it is done through unlocking the system files and using a filebrowser (such as Y-browser) and altering the .mbm's and other associated files.

Take note that most of these changes are hardcoded into the ROM of the phone and therefore are reset upon rebooting your phone.
what is a .mbm file? and if you can alter them, I take it you could change and replace them.
I like the advanced calender features on most of E series phones. Would it be possiable to grab the .mbm files relating to calenders from a hacked E series and then copy them over.

I am a complete noob to this side of phones, and really dont know much about it all. Would it be possible to use .mbm files from other phones?

Old 02-05-2008, 09:03 PM

dchky is on a distinguished road
Files ending in .mbm are graphics. Active standby uses a series of exe, dll files (4 or 5 from memory) and various hooks in the API. For N-series devices, it's not controlled with any kind of 'plug-in' architecture so the short story is that there is no simple solution.

Having access to everything (except Z) is one thing, to modify the active standby screen to display a custom list of apps will require a tad more than just a hex editor and elevated capabilities unfortunately.

The potential has always existed for someone to write such an application, the most likely reason why nobody has thus far is that it's probably just not very commercial. A few people would buy it, but probably not enough to justify the cost to produce. Also RAM hacks aside, such an application would need lots of capabilities in order to be able to modify the visibility of other apps on the standby screen. Kind of daunting given Symbian's current lengthy delays in trying to push anything to market. An alternate might be to code up a second active standby screen, fully independent from the existing system, but this will still have some conflicts with apps that force their way on to active standby regardless of settings.

Last edited by dchky; 02-05-2008 at 09:12 PM.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:31 PM

ChaosFire is on a distinguished road
I think we could all use some tea at Symbian-Freak . .