All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 30-04-2007, 10:11 AM

ratza is on a distinguished road
Question Active standby - pros and cons

OK, alot of people are asking to have active standby or something similar on their phones. I am really curious to find out why is this option so wanted among people, as I consider it to be useless.

I never use this because either the wallpaper is not visible anymore, or the text from active standby. The access on the applications "shortcuts" takes almost the same time by accessing the menu while the D-pad and softkeys shortcuts are much faster.

So, light me up and post pros and cons regarding the active standby, what you like and what you hate.

Old 30-04-2007, 10:23 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
The wallpaper is not important to me (I use theme's where the active standby content is clear and readable). At-a-glance visibility to calendar info is + the shortcuts being right there is important.

On the other hand, since you can turn it off or on as you wish, everyone can be happy.

For myself, and those that like the feature, the next level of improvement would be more granularity/control over what active standby plugins (calendar, tasks, email, music player, FM radio, WLAN, etc.) are used/shown. Now you have only the all or nothing options as a user.

Old 30-04-2007, 01:00 PM

nipon is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up cool ratza

Almost everything in this world has got its pros and cons even i hate it but nothing annoying there is an option to put it off

Old 30-04-2007, 01:12 PM

Well, I can surely live without a wallpaper, but I'm travelling pretty often and with my daughter on the screen the smile doesn't disappear completely from my face. I also used the standard white theme when I tried the active standby, but I really could not find it usefull.

Even if the shortcuts can be changed, it still cannot offer the same speed. I would've liked the option to control the volume/tracks of OggPlayer or other 3rd party SW from standby instead of that stupid inbuilt music player.

Though it showed calendar/to do entries, all my calendar/to do's are playing an alarm before and I also check the calendar really often, so what's the point of haveing it displayed on the main screen? Perhaps is not so customizable as I would like, but I can surely live without it, at least as it is in this moment.

Old 30-04-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipon View Post
Almost everything in this world has got its pros and cons even i hate it but nothing annoying there is an option to put it off
I surely have it off; I was just curious that maybe I don't use it at its full potential.