All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 19-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Pythonista

Text Mode High Performance

Perhaps your performance gains come from clearing up memory while reflashing the device. My E90 becomes slower and slower as it is used more and acquires more data. The camera is ridiculously slow. I am begging Canon to turn one of their cameras into a Linux phone because as great as Nokia is, the camera is too slow.

Still no Linux kernel, no GNU utilities, no ext2 filesystem, so the device remains a real clunker for offline browsing of mirrored web sites. (The cost of surfing online with the slowest available GPRS using prepaid is still at a level that only a Saudi prince can afford so offline browsing is the only option on this device)

HTC has a 400MHz clamshell slider that looks competitive but the Winblows Mobile 6 software is even worse than S60.

It would be easier to carry around a much bigger device than to have to carry around an E90 and an N810 and a Canon but at least the N810 lets you format cards as ext2 which is essential for large web site mirroring. Using text based browsers and BASH shell is an excellent solution to the slow processor speed. They waste valuable keyboard space with an inefficient D-pad. Busybox is a poor substitute for the full software with complete man pages but usually it is easy to apt-get the original programs.

The Nokia N810 is the best device Nokia has ever produced. Billions of these devices should be distributed to children in the third world so that they learn Linux, lest they grow up stupid and think the way to wealth is by looting and stealing and invading.

Old 19-05-2008, 02:52 PM

jah is on a distinguished road
@Pythonista

my E90 performance with 210.x.75 is better than under 200.x.73 wich itself was better than that with 7.40 etc.

Old 19-05-2008, 03:11 PM

rcadden is on a distinguished road
Just updated mine, product code 0533332.

I wonder if it got UDP, and if we'll ever see another update to find out?

Old 19-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
No UDP in this release, at least, my E90 was wiped clean.

And the web instability is nothing to do with themes, IMHO, as I was getting crashes with the default E90 theme from Nokia.

Steve

Old 19-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Steve, is there any chance you're suffering from the fact you've got a prototype?

I'm never sure what the difference is between Nokia's proto and production models, is it just the firmware or do they alter the hardware before it hits the factory?
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Old 19-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
I've done some pretty extensive tests this afternoon and I'm 99% sure that what I'm seeing is a bug in the Flash Lite 3 implementation. Web is fine for general sites, other apps are fine, even when all running at once (so it's not a RAM chip issue) - yet try and play Flash video and Web simply exits/disappears. Very wierd. Not a huge problem, but worrying, to say the least.

Old 19-05-2008, 09:21 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
I've just successfully updated my phone, but now I've found that some fo my apps (Best Safe and Crypto) are

a. not present after restoring from a backup made just before updating

and

b. refuse to install from the downloaded .sisx files (expired certificate error).

Does anyone know why this has happened and how to sort it out?

Cheers, Ian.

Old 19-05-2008, 11:40 PM

tomsky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
b. refuse to install from the downloaded .sisx files (expired certificate error).
This is solved by cranking the date back on the phone, so that the certificate is within date (they used to only last a year).

In other news, I'm seeing a bug with Web, where the Wlan remains active after I quit everything and stop wlan scan. Web won't then work, since it can't reconnect the wlan. A quick off-on solves this, but it is annoying.

Tom

Old 19-05-2008, 11:40 PM

topiwala is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I am still on 7.4. I really want to upgrade to the latest firmware. Is NSS not working anymore?

If it works what product code should I use. I had already chaned my product code last time to 053332 to get the 7.4 upgrade.I am in the UK.

Old 20-05-2008, 06:22 AM

azraeil is on a distinguished road
That's why I'm still on my 200.34.73 firmware. It has been stable for me and based on the posts I'm reading, the new FW doesn't look so stable.

Old 20-05-2008, 06:26 AM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is solved by cranking the date back on the phone, so that the certificate is within date (they used to only last a year).

In other news, I'm seeing a bug with Web, where the Wlan remains active after I quit everything and stop wlan scan. Web won't then work, since it can't reconnect the wlan. A quick off-on solves this, but it is annoying.
I had tried this, but kept getting another error. Anyway, I set the date to the date that I received the email with my reg. code, and this worked. However, now that I can start Best Safe, all of my laboriously entered password data has gone missing. I'm going to email the producers of this app, but I am amazed/disappointed/stunned that a full backup and restore appears to be nothing of the sort. How can various apps (Best Safe, Crypto, Cute Keys and even Nokia Maps) simply disappear after the resore??

I must admit that this is my first Nokia FW upgrade, and I only ever did one upgrade with my P910i, so maybe this sort of thing is not unknown to those with more experience, but I would have expected that following the upgrade instructions to the letter would have given me a phone with new FW and ALL of my apps and data as they had been...

Ian.

Old 20-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Unregistered

If done the update yesterday and I have a azerty E90.

Old 20-05-2008, 02:45 PM
PieternWiltjer

Thumbs up

Biggest change for me is that Web does not render the pages twice anymore!!!!

Old 20-05-2008, 04:04 PM

Liquid_Li0n is on a distinguished road
I have the version 07.41... but I will wait till a global update will be released, someone has any idea when? I don't like to change my product code.

My Nokia Phone history--> 6150 | 3210 | 6210 | 6600 & N-Gage | N70 & 9500 | E61 & N73 ME | E90 & E50 | N900

Old 20-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Jooseppi

More specific!

"A boat load of bug fixes and tweaks."

Can you please provide a list or a link to a list specifying this boat load of bug fixes and tweaks, thank you.

Accuracy in terms of "boat load" doesnt help anyone in any way.