All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-04-2008, 06:07 PM

NolanP is on a distinguished road
How do I unlock & update firmware for a 3 N95 8G

Hi all, you must get this all of the time. I am completely new to mobile phones so excuses my naivety.

I bought a nearly new N95 8G phone off a guy who was with three. I am with Orange and want to use my Orange SIM card & tariff.

I have looked a fair bit of the forums on how to unlock a N95 8G but all the posts seem to relate to Vodafone with virtually no post for three.

Does anyone know how I can do this or point me in the right direction? Three wanted an admin fee and to charge for every month left on the previous owners contract which would have amounted to big bucks.

Thanks,
Paul

Old 26-04-2008, 11:19 PM

14all is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanP View Post
Hi all, you must get this all of the time. I am completely new to mobile phones so excuses my naivety.

I bought a nearly new N95 8G phone off a guy who was with three. I am with Orange and want to use my Orange SIM card & tariff.

I have looked a fair bit of the forums on how to unlock a N95 8G but all the posts seem to relate to Vodafone with virtually no post for three.

Does anyone know how I can do this or point me in the right direction? Three wanted an admin fee and to charge for every month left on the previous owners contract which would have amounted to big bucks.

Thanks,
Paul
With most phones and this includes most N95 8GB, take it to a decent mobile phone shop and get them to unlock it, about £15.

Then use your existing Orange sim, remember unlocking is not debranding.

You can ask mobile phone shop to do this, might cost extra if at all possible with a three phone.

Old 27-04-2008, 07:27 AM

Thanks

Thanks 14, it so happens I lie near Hounslow where there mobile phone shops are ten a penny.

NB: Are you talking a branded shop like Three, Orange or Carphone Warehouse or one the unbranded ones?

Regards
Paul

Old 27-04-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks 14, it so happens I lie near Hounslow where there mobile phone shops are ten a penny.

NB: Are you talking a branded shop like Three, Orange or Carphone Warehouse or one the unbranded ones?

Regards
Paul
No Paul,

No not a branded shop, they won't be able to help at all.

Some phone shops say they can, ( and this happens everywhere ), when in reality the take the N95 to another shop who can do the business, they all know each other, find a shop who does it on the premises if you can.

All you got to decide on is, are you simply unlocking or de-branding and can a three phone be unlocked.

If you have a problem finding a phone shop who can unlock, let me know and I'll give you an address of a place in Sheppard's Bush that unlocks 95s on the premises.

Old 27-04-2008, 06:48 PM

kneebs76 is on a distinguished road
Don't suppose you've still got the three sim card? If so could you take a look here please mate?

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=72050

Ta

Old 28-04-2008, 12:09 AM

wkc247 is on a distinguished road
got mine unlocked from totalgsm.org

Old 29-04-2008, 07:10 PM

Smile Thanks all

Hi, well I read your replies and went to one of the numerous shops on Hounslow high street that offer phone unlocking. It could not be done straight away (Sun morning) and the guy who helped me put a call though to someone to check it could be done.

I pick it up on Wed lunchtime and will have to pay £25 for the privilege as well as the £250 I paid for the moby. I do not have the sim card as that belonged to the guy who sold it to me.

Fingers crossed it will be fine and I can then go ahead and update the software / firmware (I have backed up by the way).

Thanks for your help all.

Paul

Old 29-04-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Hi, well I read your replies and went to one of the numerous shops on Hounslow high street that offer phone unlocking. It could not be done straight away (Sun morning) and the guy who helped me put a call though to someone to check it could be done.

I pick it up on Wed lunchtime and will have to pay £25 for the privilege as well as the £250 I paid for the moby. I do not have the sim card as that belonged to the guy who sold it to me.

Fingers crossed it will be fine and I can then go ahead and update the software / firmware (I have backed up by the way).

Thanks for your help all.

Paul
That's great Paul,

But if you had asked you could have had done in a tube journey and the phone done on the spot in 20 minutes, £15-00.

Also for your £25-00 that should include the latest firmware if your de-branding, you shouldn't have to do anything but enjoy.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:18 PM

Ah, I can still cancel I think, where is this place that you know in the Bush?

Old 02-05-2008, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Ah, I can still cancel I think, where is this place that you know in the Bush?
Yes no problem,

I'll get address and number this morning for you, he is excellent and knows his stuff and can do it on the spot but phone him first, he is busy.

Are you sure you can cancel?
Ads

Old 02-05-2008, 07:33 PM

Hi Paul,

Name of the shop is Sam Magnet
160 Shepherds Bush Road
London W6
0207-371 6134

Easy to get to, take Piccadilly line to Hammersmith, come out of station, look across the road, you will see big Vodafone shop, if coming out of that shop turn left, bear left and stay on left hand side, your in Shepherds Bush Road walk down until you hit the new fire station, ( that's how I know the phone shop ), keep walking, small green, then you will see a pub on the corner, two or three shops past the pub is your man, 10 minute walk from station.

Phone shop first, it's busy outlet, especially if you want it done on the spot, emphasize that, afternoon is a good time.

The young man, Sameer, knows his stuff.
Hope this helps

Old 10-12-2009, 09:31 AM

david222 is on a distinguished road
unlocking n95

Hi i was also thinking of unlocking my n95 mobile and hence i logged onto http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...locking+forums and got the guidelines for unlocking and did it successfully..............................

Old 11-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Banned

panilut is on a distinguished road
You can get the unlocking code in the site http://www.prounlocking.com/unlock-your-phone/rs8wp2/ at low cost and unlock your Nokia N95 model mobile.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:24 PM

twinkie2010 is on a distinguished road
Helo there,
No more worries. You can get unlock codes at low cost here http://www.onlinegsmunlock.com/nokia/rs7wp8/ . All you need to do is to check the availability of your mobile model and service provider.
Cheers!

Old 30-08-2012, 06:01 AM

podapo is on a distinguished road
Good information shared. Thank you all.