All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 30-06-2009, 10:07 PM

whydanwhy is on a distinguished road
Question WiFi Set as Default, Won't be Used as Default

Device: 5800 NAM RM-428, FM: 20.2.014

So, as the title suggests, I have my WiFi connection set as default, connects automatically, and has first priority. Yet, whenever i run an application like Ovi Store, it will still try to connect to AT&T Internet and disconnects my WiFi connection.

I tried using a suggestion posted here of moving AT&T Internet to a different Destination, but programs will still use it by default, without asking for confirmation like it's set to do.

Anyone have any advice or tips?

Thanks.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:40 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by whydanwhy View Post
So, as the title suggests, I have my WiFi connection set as default, connects automatically, and has first priority. Yet, whenever i run an application like Ovi Store, it will still try to connect to AT&T Internet and disconnects my WiFi connection.

I tried using a suggestion posted here of moving AT&T Internet to a different Destination, but programs will still use it by default, without asking for confirmation like it's set to do.
I have always found with Nokia/S60 smartphones, that almost every App has it's own default connection in the App's Settings or preferences screens.
Have you check OVI for this? (Usually Options->Settings from the application main menu).

Also, one or two apps on the market are hard-coded to only use GSM/3G connections.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:56 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
widgets use the setting from the default browser. so if your web browser has att internet as its default access point, then the widgets will use it too.

what i do is use destinations, set my wifi as priority 1, and att internet as priority 2. this way wifi is used if its available, and att internet is used all other times when no wifi is around. you need to set the browser to use this destination as well. mine is called internet. i'm also on att with a 5800, and it works just fine they way you are trying to do.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:37 PM

miy1 is on a distinguished road
i had the same problem wit ma 5800. as roger podacter suggest changing the priorities in other apps could solve the problem. you can also select browse internet through wifi and then once the wifi is activated and you start surfing the net, then go in to the ovi.com store it will use the wifi connection.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:15 PM

whydanwhy is on a distinguished road
I've managed to access the web through WiFi thanks to dez's suggestion, however all else still uses AT&T data. Normally I don't mind, but signal is so bad in my home but most apps will still try and use the poor signal over WiFi.

Thanks for the help and suggestions though!
Ads

Old 03-07-2009, 07:35 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by whydanwhy View Post
I've managed to access the web through WiFi thanks to dez's suggestion, however all else still uses AT&T data. Normally I don't mind, but signal is so bad in my home but most apps will still try and use the poor signal over WiFi.

Thanks for the help and suggestions though!
Could you list a few of your apps which are only working with AT&T data and not Wi-fi?