All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-02-2008, 05:16 PM

gazman999 is on a distinguished road
Nokia Maps newbie

This is probably covered elsewhere, but I cant find anything specific. I accepted some sort of 3 day trial on nokia maps or something. Might be the voice commands i think.

So i have set up my nokia maps to 'not' connect to the internet and i open maps and get the message 'no connection available' (which is good) But i can still use the maps to plan routes and choose start navigation and it takes me from a to b and gives me voice commands along the way. So because its not connected to the internet am i being charged? I have a 1MB treat a month from 02 (should this be enough to cover it do you think?)

And......... after this 3 day trial of voice commands is finished, will i still be able to type in addresses to plan my routes and choose start navigation (except without the voice commands?)
Ads

Old 13-02-2008, 06:20 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazman999 View Post
I accepted some sort of 3 day trial on nokia maps or something. Might be the voice commands i think.
Yes, this is for voice navigation.

Quote:
So because its not connected to the internet am i being charged?
No, you're not being charged.

Quote:
... after this 3 day trial of voice commands is finished, will i still be able to type in addresses to plan my routes and choose start navigation (except without the voice commands?)
It depends on the firmware on your N95. If you have anything other than the newest firmware (be it v20 for the classic or v15 for the 8gb) then you might just have an option which lets you use the phone like it was navigating you, e.g. will show a route but keep itself centred to your GPS location so you can follow it yourself. It's great for when you're on foot but it's not advised for when in the car. However this feature was removed in newer firmwares because these upgraded the version of maps on your phone and remove that feature. Nokia must've noticed that peeps were using that instead of paying for the full service.

I think I'm right about this. If someone could back me up or correct me, that'd be appreciated.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 13-02-2008, 06:32 PM

gazman999 is on a distinguished road
thanks for the prompt reply!

Yeah im using the origional V11.0.26, So hopefully this will still work then.