All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > UIQ > Sony Ericsson P800, P900 and P910

Old 28-10-2003, 05:30 PM

garybaldi is on a distinguished road
Question Phone to PC connection (I've read and searched vast ammounts b4 posting)

Hi, please help! (

I have searched multiple forums and read eveything out there on these problems.

My phone was working fine and connected to XP nicely. I'm now getting the same problem lots of
other people are having, phone on Cradle, mRouter (black icon on systray) shows it's
connecting. Then nothing else. Click the MyP800 icon or view from explorer and it
says phone not connected. However Mrouter shows it's connected via USB. In control
panel in phone monitor it does not list any phone.

On the phone I've checked the cable settings and changed the baud rate to what SE suggest:
115200, it's on PC CONNECT, and phone has been restarted.

I've completely unistalled the PC Suite 1.5 from my system and re-booted. I've removed
Zonealarm from my PC (This is the only thing I've installed lately that I've read can cause
this problem, and it does tie in with timing, i.e. I can't remember connecting the phone since installing
this.) I've removed the docking station, uninstalled it from device manager. Disabled
Anti Virus, Installed the latest docking station usb drivers, re-installed Pc suite 1.5.x,
Still not joy!! I've tried the Unchecking the usb connection in the mRouter properties.
I've disabled all ports except the one being used by the phone is phone manager, I've reserved
it, I've tried enabling them all. I've tried all USB ports on my PC. It seems like I've
tried every setting every which was and backwards. Still no joy!! I've gone through
so many forum pages!

Can anyone please suggest anything they feel I haven't tried or that might help.

(Just for info, I've also spoken to a friend who has just bought a Motorola A920. It uses
PC Suite and he has XP and exactly the same prob. Although the thing that annoys me, is
mine was working fine unitl now, (Or until I installed Zone alarm?)

Old 28-10-2003, 11:51 PM

rb14 is on a distinguished road
I hope this will help.

1. Remove the PC Suite software completely.
2. Check your registry. It may well be there is something in there that's bugging the system. You could try searching for "Sony" or something like that. It may become clear once you start looking at the various keys such searches highlight. Obviously backup your registry before making any changes. You could export suspect keys to a folder before deleting them as a safeguard.
3. And this was the best thing I ever did with a similar problem on a repeatedly-failing HP printer install; Install the software on someone else's XP machine. Then, once it's up and running, do a search for "All files and folders" "modified within the last 1 day". Make a note of all the files that have been modded as a result of the installation, then one by one, go through your own pc to see if any of them remain on yours, despite your earlier uninstall. Delete them then try an do a clean installation.

Best of luck.

Old 29-10-2003, 01:20 AM

enterprise is on a distinguished road
Whenever this thing happens to my computer (mrouter says connected or continuously connecting, but no small phone icon appearing)...

1) I turn off my notebook, then disconnect the USB cable of p800 cradle.

2) Turn on the notebook again,

3) once I feel that all the drivers are already loaded and that the XP startup is 99% completed (harddisk led does not actively light up anymore), then only at that moment do I connect the usb cradle to my notebook.

4) Then lastly place my P800 on the cradle, then wait for that little phone icon to appear.

Hope this helps you, so far these steps work for me.

Old 30-10-2003, 06:52 AM

hAnDyGUY is on a distinguished road
garybaldi- don't bother uninstalling ZoneAlarm, I've been using it for years with WinXP and never caused any trouble. the only thing u have to know about ZoneAlarm that it controls ur incomes and outgoes, so try getting it accepts all connections from ur mobile, usually it'll give u an alert that certain softwares r trying to connect to Internet, but actually it's not, it only needs to connect to ur phone, so tick remember this answer and choose yes for all progras that will try connecting to ur phone.

I'll also suggest downloading the latest sync software check at this forumForum, then uninstall the old one completely as rb14 said, and install the new one (although I had no problem upgrading it from the last version to this.

1 more thing to add.. I had this problem few times, but the only thing I had to do was removing phone from cradle and waiting till it's icon disapperas, then putting it back and waiting till the icon appears, then I start sync .. simple :p

Old 30-10-2003, 11:40 AM

Justin is on a distinguished road
rb14:

Any idea what system registry keys/ switches I should be checking. I have problems with backup stopping half way through.

Old 30-10-2003, 12:50 PM

Justin is on a distinguished road
After looking at the system registry it would appear that the PC suite refers to the sony ericsson directory in the "all users\application data\sony ericsson" directory. Within the sony ericsson directory in the all users profile is a directory called "Sync Station". In my profile this directory was missing so I copied it into "my directory\application data\sony ericsson" and this seems to have solved my backup synchrinisation problem. This is with the new P900 package.
Hope this helps.

Old 30-10-2003, 07:04 PM

Thanks for your replies on this peeps! I will try all you've said..

I've also got PC Suit 2 to try.. Will let you know how it all goes..

Old 30-10-2003, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin
rb14:

Any idea what system registry keys/ switches I should be checking. I have problems with backup stopping half way through.
Well, I just went into regedit. You must make sure you're searching from an unexpanded "my computer" - i.e. the only icon showing in the left split frame is "my computer" (which, incidentally, if you right-click, you can "export" to, say, desktop thereby creating a backup). Then press CTRL and F for "find" and insert the term "sony" into the "find what" dialogue box. Pressing F3 then finds the next. You could also try "P800" and "suite". I found sh*tloads. Hope that helps, but I bet you find a simple upgrade to P900 suite does the trick.

Old 31-10-2003, 07:19 AM

Hello..

Well I spent last night trying out all sorts..

I completely removed any reference to 'Sony Ericsson' from the registry.. I checked the registry for entries called 'monitor' alot of them but nothing to do with Phone monitor.

Re-booted.. Reinstalled version 1.5.. Still no joy.. Removed it all again, rebooted, tried PC suite 2.. still not working..

Removed all references to Zone alarm in registry.. still not working.. Installed Zone alarm again, and then re-isntalled PC suite, allowed all the access it requested, still not working..

I've also tried re-installing just the phone monitor files..

Since it's the Phone monitor part that's not working, I'm going to concentrate on that but not sure what else to do..

By now from what I've read most people have managed to fix this problem...

What I will be trying in sheer deperation is setting up and XP virtual machine.. two reasons...

First, this should work from the word go on the virtual machine and so I can install to the phone.. and second.. if it does work, I can start installing things to try and find out what has stopped this working in the first place..

Failing this.. I have a spare PC that I'll rebuild.. Can't beleieve I may be resorting to using another PC soely for use with my phone!! lol..

Thanks very much for all the replies!!
Gary.

Old 31-10-2003, 09:21 AM

enterprise is on a distinguished road
garybaldi,

you said that it was working until you installed zonealarm... have you tried doing a SYSTEM RESTORE. If you haven't yet, you may want to try to restore to a point just before you noticed that the PC SUITE is not working anymore.

Old 31-10-2003, 03:29 PM

Hello...

Yeah I gave System restore ago.. it's been a long time, (well maybe a month) since installing Zone alarm, anyway, I tried going back to before Zonealarm was installed and sods law it won;t work.. System restore says it was unable to restore (I'll try it again and get excat error message)

I don't think the damn thing likes me!! I will try it again though..

(Also only presuming it stopped working after zonealarm was installed.. It maybe this is not the cause..)

Thanks for the idea though!

Old 31-10-2003, 09:30 PM

Darn. I hate these sort of unfixable problems. Still, it all adds to the learning process :-( I would really really try that installing it on another machine then finding out which files were altered or modified in the install. As I said, it worked for me.

Downer garybaldi :hugs)

Old 31-10-2003, 10:36 PM

haha ta.. I'll try it over the weekend..

Old 26-05-2004, 02:16 AM

vikasg1977 is on a distinguished road
Article Zone Alarm

Hi,
Try uninstalling Zone Alarm or any antivirus programs and using the phone with the software see if it works, i had the same problem connecting my nokia 6600 to the pc suite after i installed Zone Alarm

Last edited by vikasg1977; 26-05-2004 at 02:25 AM.

Old 26-05-2004, 10:04 AM

hAnDyGUY is on a distinguished road
shouldn't he solved the problem by now?? (it's been more than 8 months now)

anyway, as I said before, ZoneAlarm might be blocking the connection, but no need to unisntall it, as i have it running in my PC while syncronizing and swaping files through my phone just do the following and it will work is the ZoneAlarm is the only reason for not getting your data transfered:

get ZA accept all connections from ur mobile, usually it'll give u an alert that certain softwares r trying to connect to Internet, but actually it's not, it only needs to connect to ur phone, so tick remember this answer and choose yes for all progras that will try connecting to ur phone.
if you don't get any alert, and it automatically block the transfer, then move the slider in the security tab to Medium, then follow above steps

anyway there are some other Firewalls better than ZA nowadays, and you may consider trying them!