All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-02-2004, 11:45 AM

Dazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud of
Nokia Communicator is indeed old; but useless?

After seeing about a thousand posts about the communicator being portrayed as the worst device ever I just want to leave a few comments and hope we won't have to see another thread about this again.

The communicator is effectively a PDA combined with a Phone.
It isn't like any other Symbian smartphone where you have well a smart phone ...

The phone and the PDA are seperated hardware which are able to communicate to eachother (through some IO ports, shared memory whatever), this makes the commi usuable without a SIM card for instance.

The phone is your basic Nokia phone, loaded with a Nokia operating system (just a guess), this phone has no extra's like other Nokia phone's (3310 or something) because all those things are provided by the PDA device.

As far as connection quality it will be the same as your average Nokia phone, but does have a great handsfree capability through the PDA hardware.

It doesn't support GPRS, well to bad ...
Because the commi is in first place a PDA we can be gratefull to have a phone included which boosts it's communicative abilities.
Other PDA's require a seperate Phone to access the internet for example, well the commi can also use GPRS through other phones ... So what's the big deal?

PDA:
Well it's slow ...
Not enough memory ...
It might be buggy ...
But that all seems to depend on the user, Threated correctly it will react like any Desktop/PDA/Laptop and will keep functioning great ...
It's all about installing the right software and knowing your device.

As far as I'm concerned, I miss my commi (recently got a N-Gage, and don't like to carry my commi without a SIM).
The office capabilities are great (and that's it's main purpose) and way better than those of the S60 and UIQ devices.

It does need updating but that doesn't take away the fact that it's still 1 of the best PDA devices, you won't find much better devices if your looking for 1 with a keyboard.

Anyway; if you feel the urge to scream out how bad you think the commi is; well then your just not 1 of the users it was intended for, you'll probably be better of getting a S60 or UIQ device.

As for the rest of us who still like the commi we'll be waiting for the next version until then we'll be typing away on our bricks enjoying the freedom the commi can give you.

BTW: if anyone asks me, should I buy a commi, I would say no, I would indeed wait for a new version or even better get a cheap second hand commi.

The commi isn't a top of the line Mediadevice, but just your best office pal, made for users who don't care about polyphonic ringtones.

Old 17-02-2004, 12:51 PM
Beaubarre

Hello,

I have a communicator since 2001 and I'm very happy with it even now. In fact, it has managed to replace my Psion PDA and my laptop.

Of course, all the drawbacks are real (no GPRS, no bluetooth, bad and slow connection with serial cable, not enough memory, slow, a little large) and I'm always annoyed by them but in real terms, I use it daily far more than my previous PDA or laptop computers.

Old 17-02-2004, 05:52 PM

awyeah is on a distinguished road
As far as this goes, I complained because it is an old device on which nokia is putting no attention on.

There updating their shitty 6, 7 series phones, thevye converted 7 series phones into pda's now all the new ones which have come out after the 7650 are mainly in pda interface.

They should update the communicator and compete with the market, althought they should keep in mind, necessary features required to compete with the phones of the same level.

I will be waiting for the new communicator hope it fits my budget, but surely they wont introduce it within this year, as I heard from there sources... as they aren't putting any attention on it so far, only you can hear rumours about it from some forum or so.

The communicator is the most topnotch phone produced by nokia, just check its price out and compare it with any newest model of phone of nokia realased today even, it would be higher.

Hence, there I assume...and we should all assume it should have multiple features such as polyphonic ringtones upto touchscreens and all those I mentioned in some of my earlier thread.

Old 20-02-2004, 04:08 PM

martinharnevie is on a distinguished road
My few pennies worth of experiences:

Everything that is good about the Nokia 9200 series UI was taken from the Psion 5mx.

Everything that is bad about the Nokia 9200 series UI was taken from the GEOS machines.

It still holds (though barely) due to three endearing features:

1. The teleconferencing, still the best of the lot. It works even over a large boardroom table.

2. The screen is visible even in bright sunshine and can work as a spare torch when finding things like keys or fuseboxes in a dark room.

3. OPL is available, in fact it is largely thanks to the Nokia 9200 that OPL has survived.

cheers
Martin

Old 10-03-2004, 02:19 PM

TheSpecialBoy is on a distinguished road
USELESS?

Useless?

Nope, and will never be useless.

I still have 9110 and works great as Phone and 1/2 PDA :-P.
9210---My Love My Precious.

As Dazler wrote under a post you need to know the device, what to install on it and how to use it.

It is by far the best Phone PDA combination, and if you can combine it with a GPRS+Camera Device is worth every penny.

I don`t feel old fashioned or technology delayed when i am using my 9210.

Is a piece of resistance, this model is history and only the persons who did not use it for real can say that is useless.

And guess what: I have also latest phones in my portofolio, like 6100; 6600; 6310i and would never leave my 9210 home. Not even on the beach, when I am getting a sun.....

Conclution:

If the cat cannot reach the cheese, the cat sais the cheese is not good.:

Old 13-03-2004, 08:51 AM
Banned

4u2nv is on a distinguished road
Angry

Thats just like sayin a Ferrari 355 is old so that must be useless!

NEVER

Old 13-03-2004, 09:04 AM

Yes a ferrari 355 is an old and useless model.

No one intending to buy a ferrari model would buy
lower than an f40 or f50.

"Technology advances and so do people!"

--
awyeah

Old 13-03-2004, 09:20 AM
Banned

Angry

watch ur mouth! them words u use are not in anyway correct!

Old 13-03-2004, 09:24 AM

I is always c0rrect :p

teh r0x0r

diz f0rum aintz abt dA feRrArI k... sO nO nEeD
to meNtionZ datZ oVaH eRe, k? deWd?

--
awyeah
Ads

Old 13-03-2004, 10:04 AM
Banned

Old 15-03-2004, 09:45 PM

TheSpecialBoy is on a distinguished road
Wirelessly posted (Nokia6600/1.0 (3.42.1) SymbianOS/7.0s Series60/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.0)

Chill out guys. Neighter a ferari or a 92xx is useless. As old they get, as much they do history.

Old 16-03-2004, 04:26 PM

unsound is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by awyeah
Yes a ferrari 355 is an old and useless model.

No one intending to buy a ferrari model would buy
lower than an f40 or f50.
That's crap and you know it.

The F40 is 7 years older than the 355,
So you're saying here that a 7 year older
model is much better?

So why are you saying the excact opposite
about phones?

unSOUND owns: 9000 / 9110 / 9210i / 9300 / 9500 / E90

Old 16-03-2004, 11:11 PM

martinharnevie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So you're saying here that a 7 year older
model is much better? So why are you saying the excact opposite
about phones?
We are still saying that a Psion 5mx running Symbian OS v5 is still superior in many aspects...:-)

Old 17-03-2004, 01:33 AM

Ismail is on a distinguished road
ok guys just to clear things up here"one mans junk is another mans treasure"

the "main" purpose of a phone is to call someone else

the "main" purpose of a car is to get from point A to point B

hey awyeah do u even have a ferarri

i woudnt care if my ferreri is the oldest one there u wanna know y?

CAUSE ITS A FERRARI
something i doubt you have
back to the main subject

actully i woudnt mind even using the 9110 cause its a cell phone which does "more than its job"

thats why the 9210 shall live to see another generation

Old 17-03-2004, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ismail
ok guys just to clear things up here"one mans junk is another mans treasure"

the "main" purpose of a phone is to call someone else

the "main" purpose of a car is to get from point A to point B

hey awyeah do u even have a ferarri

i woudnt care if my ferreri is the oldest one there u wanna know y?

CAUSE ITS A FERRARI
something i doubt you have
back to the main subject

actully i woudnt mind even using the 9110 cause its a cell phone which does "more than its job"

thats why the 9210 shall live to see another generation

bahahahahahaa

no man i dont have a ferrai and i dont give a F*** to have one either! (thing's dont change peoples lives, people do!)

the main purpose of my phone is not to call, i use it for mainly like a pen drive as well as for project reports, analysis using the software it contains in the PDA.

if you use it just as a phone i suggest you buy a model which only has the phone and not the pda!

as for the 9110, last time my friend had it... and he sold it... no one was buying that model anyway because its discontinued and 5-6 years old, even the battery used to fall out of the phone as it was so old!

so if you want some quality upgrade dewd!

--
awyeah