All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-02-2003, 02:48 PM

convince me!

OK, so I love my 7650, but of course, being a total gadget freak, I'm interested in the P800. So I went and spent 10 minutes playing with one in the local Orange shop (great assistant left me with it and let me do as I please - great customer service!).

So, my initial impressions on the hardware are good (apart from the jog wheel being on the wrong side - who uses a phone wiith their left hand?!) Looks good, feels solid etc.

But I was very disapointed with the whole way the phone works. Compared to the 7650 the software looks and feels shoddy and half finished. The menus seem inconsistent, the lack of T9 is just a joke (nearly as funny as S-E's previous joke - the T68! But that's a different rant...).

I really wanted to like the phone, but I have big reservations regarding it's inital s/w. Does anyone know if their are plans to issue software updates (a la SPV) or is there any Symbian software to improve the UI and maybe even provide the essential T9 support!?

So who can convince me that the phone is worth the 300?

Alan

Old 25-02-2003, 02:56 PM

netzmeista is on a distinguished road
I use my phone primarily left-handed...

And I wouldn't trade in my 7650, either.

Old 25-02-2003, 03:08 PM

tybollt is on a distinguished road
You could argue that the 7650 is like a Ferrari without a gas tank.
You have a great phone with great abilities but it can't perform due to lacking the most profound component.
The P800 however is equipped with a memory slot which is /the/ argument for getting it.

At the end of the day it all comes down to storage.
In about a month time I'll be able to get 128 mb memory stick DUOs.
With those I'll be able to transfer files between home and work.
I'll be able to create multiple MP3 (or other soundformats for that matter) playlists.
I'll even be able to download entire films and watch on the move.

Old 25-02-2003, 03:14 PM

muggy is on a distinguished road
If it's just a question of memory, wouldn't it make more sense to wait for the 3650 with it's (*much* cheaper) SD slot?

Alan

Old 25-02-2003, 03:26 PM

Me is on a distinguished road
I have some experience with the 7650 and loved it. I think the design is great, however, when the time came to spend the money I got the P800. Soon the software capabilities will be the same in both, I mean, symbian IS symbian. Office packs, T9, all those things will come and if oyu have a P800 you'll be able to add the to your phone without fear of running out of memory.

The PDA function is much better in the P800. I am big on notes & appointments. I use the jotter a lot. I like the MAC like habilitiy to interact between applications and the knowledge that while the 7650 has realized it's full potential. The P800 (not even really released internationally yet) still has not realized this potential. In about 4 months, with the new Upgrades, including the Symbian upgrade, the new programs and the memory expansion you will not be able to even think of this 2 as similar devices. Nokia will have to releas a new phone to compete with SE. Then again SE will release a new phone too and we'll all be having this conversations again.

Old 25-02-2003, 03:27 PM

ahem!!! what SD slot? you mean MMC? 3650 is a real ugly beast

Old 25-02-2003, 03:37 PM

muggy is on a distinguished road
Hmmm... Good points there, Me. Are SE planing an OS/UI update anytime soon?

I have to admit that I'm not exactly a huge fan of the 3650's styling, but the SD/MMC slot would be a huge bonus.

Any other comments?

Old 25-02-2003, 04:20 PM

SKY is on a distinguished road
Expandable memory
big Screen
better speaker
more function ( words ,excel) can see and edit
games no problem support jar, jad, sis Format in sym 70
bluetooth support everything
View mp4 clips/movies
Listen mp3
Best thing is memory STick is sony universal

7650 - 3MB memory too litte !
3650 - mp4 clip dont support Sounds. so wat when it have video cam ??
( many ppl say that is a replacement for 7650 for not able to expand in memory )

Old 25-02-2003, 05:08 PM

zubeir is on a distinguished road
I previously had a 7650, what really lets it down is the measly amount of memory. I'm really glad that I got a p800. It Pi**es all over what is currently on the market.

Old 25-02-2003, 05:14 PM

netzmeista is on a distinguished road
I for one can deal with the limited memory, perhaps because i'm used to it because of my earlier palmos-pdas .

Old 25-02-2003, 06:32 PM

jackalhead is on a distinguished road
This is a bit off-topic... but...

Sky... doesn't your avatar mean "day" in Chinese?

Old 25-02-2003, 07:14 PM

Tigerdyr2 is on a distinguished road
Well. Just to make my oppinion. The T68 Was the best phone ever invented. Easy, copatible with everything, and it was really stable, and it didn't matter if it went out your pocket and onto the floor.

The 7650, Why do it has to be so big, and why is it so ugly a design. The buttons are unnessesary.

yes there a tons of software, but it has been on the marked for over 6 monts. No wonder.

Just read this forum, SE hasen't released anything yet. But look at all the software already avail. And ofcourse, there are software updates coming. If SE dosnt make a firmware with the new QUI, some one else will. It's nothing but a simple computer. Understand it's language and it's your best and most flexible friend. :-) I love my PDA, uh forgot to mention the phone; dosn't use it that much.

Old 25-02-2003, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerdyr2
Well. Just to make my oppinion. The T68 Was the best phone ever invented. Easy, copatible with everything, and it was really stable, and it didn't matter if it went out your pocket and onto the floor.
You have to be joking? It has to be by far the worst phone I've ever used, it's slow, fails to connect calls, has an inconsistent interface. I forget how many phone book entried I've deleted by mistake because of the bad UI design.

You right about it's durability though. I threw mine at the wall when it failed to connect a call after 5 attempts. Dented the wall and still had power, unfortunately.

It was the first and the last Ericsson I'll ever own.

Old 25-02-2003, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerdyr2
You have to be joking? It has to be by far the worst phone I've ever used, it's slow, fails to connect calls, has an inconsistent interface. I forget how many phone book entried I've deleted by mistake because of the bad UI design.

You right about it's durability though. I threw mine at the wall when it failed to connect a call after 5 attempts. Dented the wall and still had power, unfortunately.

It was the first and the last Ericsson I'll ever own.

Old 25-02-2003, 10:05 PM

Comparing the P800 with the 7650 is like comparing an Apple with a Potato. Both good for different things. The 7650 is primarily a phone with some additional functionality (i.e. PDA features). The P800 is primarily a PDA with additional phone features. Symbian clearly think there is a market for both and I wouldn't be surprised if we see a UIQ device from Nokia in the fullness of time, or a Series 60 device from SE (less likely).

The handwriting recognition/stylus is what does it for me. If you want to push buttons all day long, stick with the 7650.