All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-02-2011, 05:06 PM

buxz777 is on a distinguished road
n8 purple/red amoled screen problem affecting many n8's

hi peeps i love my n8 but had to geta new one through insurance the other day

the screen is really different to my old release day one and iam thinking maybe nokia have had to add another supplier of the amoled screen to meet the demand of the n8 and c7

the screen now seems to emit a purple/red hue whn the colours grey/white/black try to mix into othe colours

this happends throughout the ui and o/s -- photos -- films -- standby screens -- its pretty much visible everywehere

i know all n8s dont have it as my old one was perfect and my dream device however alot of peple are suffering from it check out these links and pictures and videos

(in the pictures the black n8 has the original screen i had the other two have the purple tint just look at the huge difference in them)

http://michael322.blogspot.com/2011/...h-n8.html#more

http://forum.dailymobile.se/index.php?topic=39665.0

http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/t5/Ns...lem/m-p/904317

http://www.nokiausers.net/forum/noki...-maybe-c7.html

http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/t5/Ns...highlight/true

http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/t5/Ns...em/td-p/865155

http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/t5/Ns...lem/m-p/840385

does your nokia n8 have this purple tint to it , if so please contact nokia and complain about it in a friendly manner eithe via facebook , twitter , customer services email or telephone as the more people that complain about it the more nokia will do something about it if thats possible

how many users here are facing this n8 screen problem :-( i am :-(

Old 02-02-2011, 05:59 PM

greycounciller is on a distinguished road
My N8 is displaying fine.
What is the top pictures with the squares from?

Old 02-02-2011, 06:12 PM

it is an image test to show the gradients of colours as you can see it has changed the colours to purple

here is another one users can try

if your screen is displaying the purple tint this image will show it up for sure just copy this to your phone and view it via the gallery in full screen mode

iam glad your n8 is fine mate my old one was too , had this new one since last night and its bugging me to as why the screen is displayinga purple tint

as you can see iam not alone with this so not sure whats going on

iam thinking nokia using two amoled screens due to the demand of the n8 , 4 million in 3 months isnt bad at all and amoled screens have been in short supply

if this is the case then the new screen may just need tuning via firmware as you can see from the pics if we had gamma/contrast/brightness then we could probably tune it to be fine however this has to be done at firmware level

could this be the reason why pr1.1 is delayed

or is it just dodgy screen quality or a bad build

iam not sure but id really like to know

Last edited by buxz777; 02-02-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:04 AM

bump for this thread

does no n8 owner from here have the purple tint i find that very hard to believe as ive just been to lakeside last night and went to about 5 phone shops and all n8s were displaying the purple tint

it shows up best with midnight silver theme , on lowest brightness , with analouge screen saver clock , lock screen with lock switch , press menu key to display the big clock while phone is locked , doe it display a half purple clcok

Old 05-02-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buxz777 View Post
bump for this thread

does no n8 owner from here have the purple tint.......
I'll answer you then.
Had a look at it and, yes, mine does give a slight purplish tint.
But it's not so bad as to bother me.
I've always set my N8 to lowest screen brightness and I have a custom black wallpaper with the "Nokia Theme Black".
What I do notice though, and is a bit more worrying, is that I took a photo to use for a wallpaper test and when I use it, it has a dark shading coming from the top down to the top of where the clock date and profile widgerts are, like I caught a bit of a shadow. When screen rotates, the same shading is there. I took another "White" picture and the same thing came out there.
Has anyone else tried it?
Can someone try it on theirs. Take a white/light colour photo, set as wallpaper then tell me if the wallpaper shows a uniform picture as white as the original?
I sent 2 screenshots of a plain white picture to show what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scr000003.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	4990   Click image for larger version

Name:	scr000004.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	4991  

Last edited by greycounciller; 05-02-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:55 PM

cheers for reply mate

the theme you mention doesnt show it much due to there not being much gradients in colour , its just black thats why the midnight silver theme shows it up more as it has more colours that mix and have different shades of colours

ill test for what your seeing soon iam at work at minute

Old 05-02-2011, 01:13 PM

OK, but just to clarify, the samples I've posted are of a WHITE picture. Any picture I use comes up the same, just white shows it better.
I'm wondering if the problem lies in the imaging software.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:18 PM

Wishmaker is on a distinguished road
My N8 has that issue but only on the upper side of the analogue clock. Everywhere else is fine. Should I tell Nokia about this?

Old 05-02-2011, 03:23 PM

Any chance of a screen shot?

Old 05-02-2011, 03:32 PM

hi grey

have seen a few n8s now and being doing alot of research and the screens seem to vary quite a bit

i have three n8s in the house at the minute

two have purple screen tint that ive shown above one doesnt

the one that doesnt have the tint has an awesome screen

the two that do have tints have a much duller colour reproduction this can be seen on the icons for things like photos etc where the green is much darker , the one without tint has a much better screen in terms of bright vibrant colours

also one of the ones that has a tint has a few dark lines going across it and down it , this can mainly be seen on white screens like social when the screen dims down after its inital bright spell (when it adjust by light sensor) you can make the screen dull a bit by covering the light sensor at the top

two of the n8s here share the same firmware , from the same nokia store , same colour handset , everything should be indentical but one has a purple tint the other doesnt which leads me to think either nokia using two screens or theirs a hardware fault with one of the screens

ive tweeted nokia , used facebook to contact them and send them links and photos , emailed them and rung them but they dont seem bothered about it at all to be honest

i dont see how some n8s have this tint and others dont , how some have darker lines down the screen others dont , could be variable build quality iam not sure
Ads

Old 05-02-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaker View Post
My N8 has that issue but only on the upper side of the analogue clock. Everywhere else is fine. Should I tell Nokia about this?
it wouldnt hurt to tell nokia mate for sure more complaints the better

can you try this for me its quite weird but gets rid of the tint in places

download qt torch and install from ovi store -- download and select and use midnight silver theme -- open qt torch -- the background is supposed to be pure black as ive seen it on many n8s but may look brown/red/purple/ -- there are two touch buttons on the bottom of the screen that look like a grey/purple colour due to the silver midnight theme -- keep your eyes on these and press the qt torch on button -- as the screen light sup to full brightness you will as if by magic see your n8 turn the purple grey buttons at the bottom of the screen change them to the pure black they are suppose to be

the above mehod prooves to me something is wrong with some n8s screens , why does it show black as black oly on full brightness , is it a driver issue , is it a different screen , is it a faulty screen

the qt torch method ive listed to show the problem must be seen to be believed , not every n8 has this purple tint my gfriends doesnt and when i hold them next to each other i can see mine with the purple tint doesnt show colours as bright etc it shows the gradients of blacks and greys to be purple and its generally not as good to look at as her screen

you can also see it in the tron movies clips at the start , the skys and blackbackgrounds that are supposed to be pure black are actually like a brown colour due to the n8 messing up the gradients

i hope this can be fixed by software

i wen to lakeside and looked at many new n8s yesterday and because i know what iam looking for now every new n8 i looked at had this purple screen yet n8s from before december dont seem to have it although there are a few that still do have it even from before december

its weird stuff for sure and depending on what theme you use and what you do with your handset you may notice it more then others but fact is some screens on nokia n8 handsets are clearly not as good at displaying colours as other screens wether this is hardware or software i dont know but as stated above it looks like many new n8s have it going on

theres another thread here thats had nearly 2500 views in a few days mate

theres pictures and links galore in there

you can also right click the images in this thread , save the image and copy to your n8 , open photo viewer and test out the test image on your n8 screen , if you have the purple tint problem you will see it very obvious with this test picture , its the picture of the different colour squares or even the grey and white stripey one will show it up if you have it

Old 05-02-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
hi grey

have seen a few n8s.......could be variable build quality iam not sure
I think you mean terrible!
My sister has a Galaxy S. I know they all have a bluish/green tint, but at least they are all the same.
Makes you sad at what has happened to Nokia these days
Guess I'll have to try and ignore what I see.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
it wouldnt hurt to tell nokia mate for sure more complaints the better

can you try this for me its quite weird but gets rid of the tint in places

download qt torch and install from ovi store -- download and select and use midnight silver theme -- open qt torch -- the background is supposed to be pure black as ive seen it on many n8s but may look brown/red/purple/ -- there are two touch buttons on the bottom of the screen that look like a grey/purple colour due to the silver midnight theme -- keep your eyes on these and press the qt torch on button -- as the screen light sup to full brightness you will as if by magic see your n8 turn the purple grey buttons at the bottom of the screen change them to the pure black they are suppose to be

the above mehod prooves to me something is wrong with some n8s screens , why does it show black as black oly on full brightness , is it a driver issue , is it a different screen , is it a faulty screen

the qt torch method ive listed to show the problem must be seen to be believed , not every n8 has this purple tint my gfriends doesnt and when i hold them next to each other i can see mine with the purple tint doesnt show colours as bright etc it shows the gradients of blacks and greys to be purple and its generally not as good to look at as her screen

you can also see it in the tron movies clips at the start , the skys and blackbackgrounds that are supposed to be pure black are actually like a brown colour due to the n8 messing up the gradients

i hope this can be fixed by software

i wen to lakeside and looked at many new n8s yesterday and because i know what iam looking for now every new n8 i looked at had this purple screen yet n8s from before december dont seem to have it although there are a few that still do have it even from before december

its weird stuff for sure and depending on what theme you use and what you do with your handset you may notice it more then others but fact is some screens on nokia n8 handsets are clearly not as good at displaying colours as other screens wether this is hardware or software i dont know but as stated above it looks like many new n8s have it going on

theres another thread here thats had nearly 2500 views in a few days mate

theres pictures and links galore in there

you can also right click the images in this thread , save the image and copy to your n8 , open photo viewer and test out the test image on your n8 screen , if you have the purple tint problem you will see it very obvious with this test picture , its the picture of the different colour squares or even the grey and white stripey one will show it up if you have it

My screen is purple 3/4 when I use QTorch. Unfortunately I cannot capture this purple tint with screencap or my camera :(.

Another broken N8 ...

Old 05-02-2011, 04:20 PM

thanks for taking time to report back peeps its much appreciated and i hope more users can add their views etc on this topic as the more feedback the better

again i thankyou for your time and efforts with helping me with this :-)

Old 05-02-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
thanks for taking time to report back peeps its much appreciated and i hope more users can add their views etc on this topic as the more feedback the better

again i thankyou for your time and efforts with helping me with this :-)

No worries. After the multitude of issues I had with my N8, this one does not surprise me. Let us see what nokia has to say.