All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
What happened to the N92?

Anyone know why the N92 is taking so long to come to market? Are they waiting until there's some DVB-H television services up and running?

Old 12-06-2006, 04:42 PM

ajck is on a distinguished road
Depends what country you are in I suspect at the moment, many don't have DVB-H broadcasts up and running properly yet. For example in the UK we don't have it at all, so it's not an attractive proposition for a network or shop to sell, when the main feature can't be used! Mobile TV is going to be huge though. ROK TV is a good way to get mobile TV now, apart from the bandwidth costs (maybe TMobile's Web 'n' Walk in the UK would be good with this?) http://www.rok.tv/

Last edited by ajck; 12-06-2006 at 04:44 PM.

Old 13-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajck
Depends what country you are in I suspect at the moment, many don't have DVB-H broadcasts up and running properly yet. For example in the UK we don't have it at all, so it's not an attractive proposition for a network or shop to sell, when the main feature can't be used![/url]
Do ANY countries have DVB-H up and running? As far as I know it's just been trials everywhere so far, with some talk about a launch this year or next year.

You're right, it's probably not a good idea to sell a phone based on a feature that doesn't work anywhere yet.

Maybe Nokia should have waited a bit before announcing the model, but maybe announcing the model made it easier to start DVB-H services, sort of a political act rather than a real product launch...?

Old 13-06-2006, 09:55 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
First announced commercial DVB-H supply contract (at least for Nokia):
http://www.mobiletv.nokia.com/news/s...eleases/?id=77

Old 13-06-2006, 09:56 AM

dannyboi is on a distinguished road
danny is the best ' he is ' lol

Old 13-06-2006, 10:04 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I think the N92 is probably very much like the Nokia 7700 - i.e. it will be used as test bed device. It's not actually that great a device in my opinion. The design isn't quite there.

Old 13-06-2006, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A
First announced commercial DVB-H supply contract (at least for Nokia):
http://www.mobiletv.nokia.com/news/s...eleases/?id=77
Oh flip! I live in Finland! There's been no publicity about this here, it must be a "soft launch".

The only trouble is, what exactly do I watch these new services on? There aren't any handsets in the shops at the moment that support DVB-H are there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
I think the N92 is probably very much like the Nokia 7700 - i.e. it will be used as test bed device. It's not actually that great a device in my opinion. The design isn't quite there.
Yeah, it looks like a prototype for the N93 really.

I think the TV will only take off properly when it's on more normal-looking handsets, i.e. candybar, slider and clamshell ones. These huge N90 / N92 / N93 things just aren't what the average person wants in their pocket.

Old 22-07-2006, 04:22 PM

Alio is on a distinguished road
Don't think the N92 will make it to the UK, and the N93 will overtake anyway!

Alio

http://www.wizmysite.com - The UK's New Generation Mobile Web Site Community

(Create Your Own Mobile Web Site - Share Your World - It's Free & Easy!)

Old 23-07-2006, 11:32 AM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
I think the post of Rafe is correct. I read, I donīt remenber where, that N92 is gonna be launched only is countrys with DVB-H. But today, theres not much...

Old 13-08-2006, 11:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj7
I think the post of Rafe is correct. I read, I donīt remenber where, that N92 is gonna be launched only is countrys with DVB-H. But today, theres not much...
Well... that doesn't make it much clearer though, because DVB-H is supposed to come to quite a lot of countries but probably not until 2007 at the earliest.

And it doesn't make sense for Nokia to release the N92 in 2007 or later because it'll be quite an old phone by then, and there'd be slimmer DVB-H models by then.
Ads