All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Editorial Thoughts

Old 25-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Linux powered Internet Tablet - Nokia 770

Nokia today announced the Nokia 770 - a Linux powerd Internet Tablet device. The device which does not include a phone or an PIM software runs on a platfrom called maemo and is based on Debian 2.8 and the user interface is derived from the GNOME UI. The device has a 4.1 inch 800 x 480 touch screen with connectivity supplied via 80211.b/g and Bluetooth 1.2. Clearly this device would be ideal for mobile use when coupled with a Symbian Bluetooth enabled phone. Expected availability is Q3 and the cost will be around $350.

There is 64 MB of user memory available and a RS-MMC card slot. reloaded software includes the Opera Internet browser, email client, RSS client, Flash and Media Player, Internet radio player and more. The device seems to be aimed at being used an extra Internet terminal in the home.

It is interesting that Nokia have chosen not to use the Symbian OS for this device family, and it would be fair to say that such Internet appliances have not had startling success in the past.

On the other hand using the Symbian OS for such a device (without any telephony) could be seen as jamming the wrong OS into the device. Symbian was after all primairly designed as smartphone OS. Linux has it's advantages as Nokia noted during the press conference. Clearly Nokia are hoping to leverage Linux and Open Source developers in creating software for the platform. They are also creating an open platform. More information on this can be found at maemo.org.

Device Specifications:
Full Specifications
Size

* Weight: 230 g
* Dimensions: 141 x 79 x 19 mm

Color

* Black and matte silver

Display

* High-resolution (800x480) touch screen with up to 65,536 colors

Operating temperature

* -10C to +55 C

Memory

* Engine: DDR RAM 64MB
* Memory: Flash 128MB (>64MB for user)
* Memory card: 64MB RS-MMC (Reduced Size - MultiMediaCard)

Operating system

* Internet Tablet 2005 software edition

Applications (in 2005 software edition)

* Web Browser
* Flash Player version 6
* Email Client
* Internet Radio
* News Reader
* Media players, Image viewer
* PDF viewer
* File Manager
* Search
* Calculator
* World Clock
* Notes
* Sketch
* Games

Supported File Formats

* Audio: MP3, Real Audio, MPEG4, AAC, WAV, AMR, MP2
* Image: JPEG, GIF, BMP, TIFF, PNG, Animated GIF format,
SVG-tiny, ICO
* Video: MPEG1, MPEG4, Real Video, H.263, AVI, 3GP

Connectivity

* WLAN: 802.11b/g
* Bluetooth specification: 1.2

* For Internet connection and file transfer via phone
* Profiles supported: Dial-up Networking, File Transfer, Generic Access, SIM Access and Serial Port profiles

* USB device mode for PC connectivity
* RS-MMC
* 3.5 mm stereo audio out
* Power connector (2mm)

Language Support

* User Interface: British English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish, American English, Canadian French, Mexican Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese
* User's Guide: Finnish, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, English, French, Dutch, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Greek, Czech, Hungarian, Russian, Canadian French, Brazilian Portuguese, Mexican Spanish

Sales Package Content

* Nokia 770 Internet Tablet
* 2 stylus pens
* Pouch
* Battery (BP-5L)
* Travel charger (AC-4)
* 64 MB RS-MMC memory card
* Connectivity cable DKE-2 (USB)
* Desk stand DT-7
* User guide
* Quick start guide

Enhancements

* Mobile charger (DC-4)
* Charger adapter (CA-44)
* RS-MMCs

Old 25-05-2005, 04:50 PM
Joel_78

J2ME Personal Profile?

Old 25-05-2005, 07:13 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Doesn't appear to support it. Though I imagine it coudl be added/

Old 25-05-2005, 09:01 PM

bluestar is on a distinguished road
Why not add full J2SE in this case ??? :-)

is it possible only by adding it through the rsMMC card or not ?

Old 26-05-2005, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
It is interesting that Nokia have chosen not to use the Symbian OS for this device family, and it would be fair to say that such Internet appliances have not had startling success in the past.
I think that would be an understatement seeing as putting eggs in this basket aided the demise of Be Inc. That said fair play Nokia, I was interested back when Be tried it and am still interested now for the right price.
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.

Old 27-05-2005, 04:07 AM

martinharnevie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
Symbian was after all primairly designed as smartphone OS.
Rafe, this is not entirely accurate. It's rather an after-construction.

A more accurate statement would be: "Symbian OS is primarily positioned as a smartphone OS".

Old 27-05-2005, 09:24 AM
Founder / Chief

Martin - yeah fair point, although in all honesty I think it would be fair to say now that Symbian OS is added to with smartphones in mind. Although obviously it is basd on the old EPOC stuff at a very low level the telephony functions are now far more integrated than they are on under platforms. In that sense it was desinged from release 6 onwards to be used in phones. Other OS's by comparison have a much greater legacy from previous selves or big brothers.

Old 27-05-2005, 10:37 AM

Agree of course, though I would actually say that it was designed from release 1 with phones in mind.

Symbian's growing success as a gaming platform apart from its history as a successful mobile professional device platform are proof that it's a smartphone OS by positioning rather than design. In other words, the design of Symbian OS allows for quite a lot more capabilities than just smartphone.

So how will it be positioned tomorrow? A universal media platform? A mobile 'edutainment' (sorry for using a worn-out term) platform? A telematics platform (in fact that's what Potter wanted)?.

Last edited by martinharnevie; 27-05-2005 at 11:37 AM.

Old 27-05-2005, 11:02 AM

Masamune is on a distinguished road
Personally, I'm very surprised Nokia decided to adopt a Linux based OS. I thought the whole point of Series 90 was to have full PDA functionality (i.e. UIQ without any Non-Nokia ties). After all, it seems an ideal platform to start making in-roads into the PDA market with.

Old 27-05-2005, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masamune
After all, it seems an ideal platform to start making in-roads into the PDA market with.
There does not seem to be any sort of indication that Symbian will ever attempt to recapture that market, which, by the way, isn't much of a market anymore...unless you wish to go into the industrial mobile computing segment and compete head on with WinCE.net supported by the likes of Intermec, Symbol, LXE and Psion with much lower volumes but much higher margins. Symbian's current business & licencing model is not even remotely geared for that, even though the technology is.

Old 27-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masamune
Personally, I'm very surprised Nokia decided to adopt a Linux based OS. I thought the whole point of Series 90 was to have full PDA functionality (i.e. UIQ without any Non-Nokia ties). After all, it seems an ideal platform to start making in-roads into the PDA market with.
I think Symbian's aim is for smartphones only rather than PDAs, otherwise I'd have expected to see a fully fledged PDA based on S80/90 before now. At the end of the day it's up to Symbian to say how they want their software used, and they want it in smartphones. Shame really.
Ads

Old 27-05-2005, 03:31 PM

ms139us is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchBlade
I think Symbian's aim is for smartphones only rather than PDAs, otherwise I'd have expected to see a fully fledged PDA based on S80/90 before now. At the end of the day it's up to Symbian to say how they want their software used, and they want it in smartphones. Shame really.
I don't think that I could disagree more.

For over a year I have used a 9290 solely as a PDA. In fact, I picked it up cheap because the phone won't recognize SIM cards.

It is a dandy replacement for my old netBook, and far more durable and portable.

Migrating old ER5 data is a monstrous pain, tho.

Old 27-05-2005, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms139us
Migrating old ER5 data is a monstrous pain, tho.
It will be slightly easier once I've released SymPoc. Currently only Word though.

Old 27-05-2005, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchBlade
I think Symbian's aim is for smartphones only rather than PDAs, otherwise I'd have expected to see a fully fledged PDA based on S80/90 before now. At the end of the day it's up to Symbian to say how they want their software used, and they want it in smartphones.
In my previous correspondence with Psion Teklogix in conjunction with the netBook Pro Symbian petition I have an email from them confirming that if I could raise the moneys to purchase 25,000 units of netBook Pro, they would undertake to develop a Symbian version. We did not discuss at the time more details about the UI etc, but I think we both assumed that this would be something based either on a landscape version of UIQ (which we somewhat jokingly called UIn) or something "Eikon"-like based on TechView. Now this was of course before Psion's "cash-out", so this committment might not be valid anymore. Incidentally, this was exactly the breakeven point we had calculated ourselves.

All history now of course. Dream on Martin....:-)

Old 27-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms139us
I don't think that I could disagree more.

For over a year I have used a 9290 solely as a PDA. In fact, I picked it up cheap because the phone won't recognize SIM cards.
Aye but it's not sold as a PDA. It may be a fully functional PDA but it's sold as a phone. And as pointed out there's no Symbian powered devices without a phone, nor rumours of one. Maybe it's Symbian looking foward and thinking other PDA manufacturers will give in and follow the convergence route, maybe its that no-one can be bothered to make a sole PDA running Symbian. But given the sucess of the Psion series PDAs I'd be surprised if it's the latter.