All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 14-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
How to use Google's Gmail application on the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

Gmail on the Nokia 5800 with that clunky old Java client? Not interested? Don't dismiss the idea too quickly, for S60 Java, touch and Gmail aren't so clunky with latest versions all round and with the aid of this tutorial for beginners on setting Gmail up on the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic (and other S60 5th Edition phones). Full Gmail features and benefits, all running full screen, with push notifications and all for free?

Read on in the full article.

Old 14-05-2009, 10:36 AM

williamsardar is on a distinguished road
Does anyone else find that you can't add a contact to a new email (in compose message) that isn't in your Most Contacted list?

Old 14-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Unregistered

The big downside of this Java client is that it isn't possible to send attachments (photos, videos). Appart from that I agree it is the best solution for Gmail. Especially the great search feature for archived mail.
Ads

Old 14-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Unregistered

I don't understand what is supposed to be wrong with the Profimail user interface, far from quirky it seems to be an imporvement on any other I've seen. As native symbian client that can manage gmail and my smtp mailboxes at the same time, complete with pictures and attachments, I can't see any other choice.

Old 14-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Administrator

I only said it was quirky. I do agree it's the most powerful third party email app! And, to be fair, the Gmail client is equally quirky. The tutorial isn't a group test though, I'm just showing people who want to use the Java Gmail client how to work full-screen.

Old 14-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Unregistered

I think I'll stick with the Nokia Messaging client for now... the Gmail one on my 5800 is horrible and clunky,

Old 14-05-2009, 08:05 PM

fernando20 is on a distinguished road
Does it fail to retrieve new mail on launch for anyone else? As it shows Inbox (1) on the title, but doesn't actually show the email until I refresh it (wasting more data)

Old 15-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Administrator

I think that's how it's supposed to work. i.e. it shows up what's in its offline cache, ready for you to reply to any messages or read things and then, one auto-refresh period later new email is checked for.

I agree that checking for new mail on startup is an obvious thing it should do though.

Old 15-05-2009, 06:02 PM

fernando20 is on a distinguished road
Well, the app didn't behave like that on my N95, so I think it's a bug. Anyway, I hope google gets their S60v5 act together.

Old 16-05-2009, 01:18 AM
Unregistered

Data connection always on?

I beleive the java gmail app checks every 20mins, does anyone know how to get it to only connect to data when it needs it rather than staying connected the whole time?

Old 17-05-2009, 03:28 PM

midtoad is on a distinguished road
large fonts

"Use large fonts" is a good tip. Without that, it's too easy to make the wrong selection in the menus, even if you use the plectrum instead of a fingertip.

The GMail client clearly wasn't designed for fingertip usage. It would be great to see a redesign to make it more user-friendly. At the moment the iPhone version is considerably easier to use.

To select addresses from your Gmail address book, select Compose New Message from the Menu, but do NOT then click on the To: field. Instead, select Menu again and then Add Recipients. This will bring up your GMail list of most-frequently used contacts.

Old 29-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Unregistered

can't get full screen gmail

I installed the version w/ the fixed icon but now I can't get the gmail to run in full screen. I can remove the navigation keys through the app. settings but I still get a large MENU and REFRESH buttons on the bottom (or side in landscape mode). Also the top of the screen has the standard Nokia info bar.
With the old version that had the screwed up icon I was able to get it full screen.
Anybody knows how to get rid off the Nokia interface altogether?
Thanks.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:34 PM
eezg

Question Built in messaging client

Hi. Have read all of above tutorials and decided to use the built in messaging/mailbox app for my Gmail account.

However after configuring it all for automatic retrieval and NOT enabling the auto notifications as stated ... still no auto retrieval?! (although there is an icon, like a two way arrow thing next to the Gmail mailbox). Is it me or ...? Whenever I go to the mailbox it tells me when the last connection was and asks whether i'd like to connect. I don't get it??!

Its my first symbian phone and its great but somewhat frustrating as well.

Any ideas?

Old 10-06-2009, 05:44 PM
mattweeden

no vibrate

its finds all the messages all when and good but it doesn't vibrate when i get new message anyone know what to do

Old 19-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Unregistered

gmail on 5800

I've got both verison of Gmail - the downloaded one for mobile phone which i don't like using. i don't find it that friendly.

i downloaded that because i couldn't get the version of gmail that's part of my message folder to upload recent messages. it only uploads from when i got my gmail account 4 years ago, so by my calcuation has about 5000 useless messages to upload before i can access new mail!

Can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong?