All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 24-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Unregistered

Angry sending mail queued

Hi,

Set all this up ... all good for downloading mail. Can't send. The messages sit in the outbox flagged as "queued". I've looked around for an answer but have not been able to figure it out yet. Can anyone help?

D

Old 04-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Unregistered

Question Gmail for UIQ

I would like to know if this settings can be equally used for UIQ devices

Old 31-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Mike M

having auto retrieval problems with n82

hey steve. This is mike from The N82 Blog. I checked out this article before and it seems in the article I wrote about maybe you didn't read it correctly. I'm using the steps you showed, please go back and read what I replied back to you. I really need to get this problem fixed. Thanks Steve!

http://www.then82blog.com/2008/05/im...blem-with.html

Old 07-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Unregistered

Segway - IM

I have been on the Gmail / 30mins IMAP gig for a while now - it works well. My rough observations seems to show that the 'idle' function does not use up too much battery - or at least less than 30 min POP polling does. My only gripe is that it doesn't actually retrieve the email from the server ready for me to open so when I go to view a new email it has to connect and download email.

But here is what I really want to know - why is it that IMAP idle is fine for battery but having a connection for IM running in the background is death for the battery. I am using Nokia's IM app but the same is true for Fring or any other IM app. Do people have the same problems and are their any solutions you know of?

Old 14-06-2008, 12:56 AM
Unregistered

trying to get gmail imap on my n95.... it keeps trying to download every single email in my inbox for some reason (over 10k messages). i've used the setting exactly as specified in gmail's instructions for S60 client...any help?

Old 22-06-2008, 04:09 AM
Unregistered

Pull Email for Free

I had blogged about this but it was for Windows Mobile , but the same applies for Devices like Nokia E50, E61 or E62 which supports Direct Push Technology

http://www.1800pocketpc.com/2008/05/...artphones.html

Old 08-07-2008, 01:12 AM
Unregistered

Still experimenting with this method on my E61i (and IDLE doesn't seem to be working, perhaps it's my network), but would like to know whether it will work for multiple mailboxes?

Old 09-07-2008, 10:39 AM

topiwala is on a distinguished road
E90

I configured the Google IMAP on my E90 and great!! the push works fine but when I try to send an email it just says General: Feature Not Supoorted and lines up in the outbox.

Any ideas guys!!

Regards
Nilesh

Old 28-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Unregistered

1 Minute Polling?!?

The more you poll the less your battery life is on your phone.
Setting polling to less than 30 IMO is crazy, I learned the hard way how much polling does to battery life.
There's no substitute for GOOD pushing.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Unregistered

Angry stuck in outbox

mail gets stuck in the outbox. stays queued??????????why???

Old 23-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Thread

BigRedBall, I have to contradict you. My battery on N95 was drained in the afternoon after a complete charge during the night, whereas it usually lasts for almost two days if the phone is not connected to IMAP.
If you set the connection interval up to 30 minutes, it keeps a permanent UMTS/GSM connection to IMAP. If you set a longer interval, then it connects only from time to time, which is better for your battery life.
Ads

Old 01-10-2008, 12:23 AM

Gizoku is on a distinguished road
I'm having a problem with this on my E90. I've set everything up exactly as described in the Gmail IMAP tutorial, but whenever I try and connect to my inbox from my E90 the "connecting" dialog stays on the screen indefinitely. It's really irritating.

Anybody have any idea at all what I can do to fix this? Thanks.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Unregistered

PUSH explained

OK, some serious confusion and misunderstandings need to be fixed...

REAL Push:
Genuine Push Mail was developed for 'always on' (meaning connected to the net) devices. No polling occurs. For this to work, a device needs to 'register' with a mail server with it's IP, or similar address. From them on, the push mail server can simply send a message to the device to notify of new mail.
For PC's this is simple, for cellphones, it's slightly trickier... since sometimes they lose connection (go out of range etc) and need to re-register their IP, or at least announce that they are back in range, OR beautifully, use a special hidden type of SMS known as WAP push. A WAP push is really just a signal to the cell phone to say "new mail is here, come and get it".
The MASSIVE advantage of real push is that as long as a device is 'connected' it need never poll or make any more data transfers. It will wait forever until notified of new mail.

IMAP Idle:
IMAP Idle is a compromise.... with IMAP idle, the mail client tells the server "OK, I'm ready to receive email when it arrives", and the server logs this fact. However, there is a catch. An IMAP server can't be sure that that mail client is STILL waiting for mail.... (maybe you've gone out of range, or rebooted your device, changed IP etc). With this is mind, the server can timeout the "idle" state after 30 mins or so. This means that the mail client needs to keep telling the server "I'm STILL in the idle state".
It's a fair compromise but means that the mail client must tell the IMAP server that it is still idle every mins. Also, say for instance the mail client tells the server it is "ready to receive mail (idle)", then goes out of range for a moment. Your device may lose / change it's IP or miss a mail notification from the server. It could take a further 30 mins to be notified (when the device next sends an 'idle' to the server).
Under normal circumstances though, sending an Idle from the client to the server every 30 mins will give instantaneous mail responses (1-2 seconds) when they arrive.

POP polling:
This is the worst technique of all. Quite simply, the mail client checks for new mail every x minutes. This results in unnecessary data transfers (small, but often), and can waste battery (not always a lot, it depends on implementation)

There you go... that's how mail REALLY works. IMAP idle is NOT push mail, just a close second best

David Clegg

Old 06-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Unregistered

Not working on Nokia E62

Hi Steve, I tried all these steps multiple times on my Nokia E62, but it does not seem to work. Also, I set the port for incoming mail to 993 and it moves to 'Default' on its own. Any help would be appreciated

Old 14-04-2009, 05:57 AM
minhaaj

N70

doesn't work. web server not found