All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-08-2006, 12:25 AM

3Dot is on a distinguished road
Angry For Pete's sake, sort out the N80, Nokia!!!

I have had the N80 now for THREE weeks now, and I have to say that it is the biggest heap of junk that Nokia have ever made!

My list of problems:
- Poor battery life - the phone will last 18 hours a day before needing to be charged, which is totally unacceptable for a business smartphone!

- Loose slider - I find it very hard to swallow that Nokia would produce a premium slider phone that has a inferior slider to the 6280. It's absolutely ridiculous! The phone will be in my pocket and when I get it out, the slider is hanging half open!

- Low Memory - I'll have 2 or 3 applications open and the phone reports low memory. If the Nseries phones are supposed to be mobile computers, then with memory performance such as this, I'd be better off with my son's Vtech computer!

- Software Glitches - There seems to be so many different problems with the software on the N80. Random soft reboots, freezing, not installing applications that I know are supposed to work. Even something as simple as having the first name and surname of a text message recipient in the right order seems to be beyond it!

There are other minor issues that are happening with the phone, such it randomly choosing to 'lose' the memory card, flicking screen, answering my calls on speakerphone automatically...

I work in a phone shop and 4 of my colleagues have the N80... with the SAME problems, so I know that it's not just me. All of them are planning to return/get rid of the handset because of the numerous issues. The phones are also being returned to the shop at the rate of 3 a week!

The situation is so bad that my manager is talking customers OUT of getting the phone!

Also someone within Nokia can't do their job when it comes to information about the N80:

Nokia states that the phone is an XpressMusic device (http://www.europe.nokia.com/A4164063) - IT'S NOT!;

Nokia states that the phone has a 860mAh battery - IT DOES NOT AND THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS!;

Nokia states that the N80 is compatible with the HS-6 display headset - NO IT'S NOT AND IT COST ME £30 TO FIND OUT!!!

I had a Sony Ericsson phone for 3 years and it did exactly what it said on the tin; if there are any issues with the phone, SE keep customers informed and release firmware updates... better still, end users can change the firmware themselves!

Nokia's take on this seems to be 'we know nothing and we can't hear you'.

The N80's MRP is £429.99. For the cost of the phone, I expect damn near perfection, not to be the alpha tester of sub-standard handset!

Nokia are the world's biggest mobile phone manufacturers. GET YOUR DAMN ACT TOGETHER AND SORT OUT THE ISSUES... NOW!!!

There are an army of N80 lovers out there who would agree with me in saying that the N80 is probably the best handset in the market on paper, but all that is nothing if we are frustrated in actually using the handset.

NOKIA N80 WISHLIST:

Auto keylock when the slider is closed or after a period;
Allow customisation of the Active Standby screen (like the 6820!);
Text Message sender name to be in the RIGHT ORDER (First Name Surname);
Built-in recurrent alarm
MORE MEMORY!!!!!!!!;
Album Art in the Music Player;
Separate Images and Videos in the Gallery (like the 3250!)
Better synchronisation with Outlook (all fields, contact groups and distribution lists);
Full Screen Caller ID;
Full screen wallpaper;
More robust slider;
A MUCH, MUCH, MUCH BIGGER CAPACITY BATTERY!!!

Please take these views on board... I am one but I speak for many...

Old 06-08-2006, 09:00 AM

Simes7610 is on a distinguished road
the battery life is a bit crap, but i can live with it.

the slider on the N80 is prob my biggest hate of the phone, the build quality is pathetic for a phone of its internal calibre. i bought a couple of third party covers from Ebay, and surprise surprise, they actually fit well and make the slider tighter than the original Nokia one that came on my N80.

i never have low mem probs, you must be running early firmware.

"NOKIA N80 WISHLIST:

Auto keylock when the slider is closed or after a period;
Allow customisation of the Active Standby screen (like the 6820!);
Text Message sender name to be in the RIGHT ORDER (First Name Surname);
Built-in recurrent alarm
MORE MEMORY!!!!!!!!;
Album Art in the Music Player;
Separate Images and Videos in the Gallery (like the 3250!)
Better synchronisation with Outlook (all fields, contact groups and distribution lists);
Full Screen Caller ID;
Full screen wallpaper;
More robust slider;
A MUCH, MUCH, MUCH BIGGER CAPACITY BATTERY!!!"

there is an auto keylock app floating about. great piece of code. also the "mlock" app when assigned to a soft key is very handy.

i agree, a built in recurrent alarm would be handy, its a pain having to remember to set the alarm each day.

more memory? cheap mem cards on Ebay!

if the gallery could be organised into folders like on Sony Ericsson phones, it would be a doddle. sadly its not.

Full screen caller ID is available with the FS Caller app which is now upgraded to work on Symbian S3 phones (ie N80)

Full screen wallpaper? i rem on my 7610 and 6600 etc this was theme dependant, might be worth finding a full screen theme and replacing the wallpaper in it.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:11 AM

Cash is on a distinguished road
Agree totally, they have made a phone that cant do what its supposed to do, although I still do like the phone, and although I shouldn't I have changed my lifestyle slighty to accommodate the sh*tty Nokia battery, although I got in from the pub the other night, forgot to charge the batter (for obvious reasons), didnt think about it and the phone was dead for the whole of the next day without me realizing and missed some important calls :(.

One thing that made me laugh the other day, I see the Carphone warehouse are advertizing the N80 on TV as a camera phone, I nearly choked on my tea and fell on the floor with laughter when I saw that advert...I think a call to the trading standards is in order...they should say its a camera phone for daylight hours only, but if you want to take photo's at night or in low light or indoors then get a sony erricson ....

I know somebody who works for Voda, he is head of their promotions department, and he tells me that they are seeing huge quantities of N80 being returned, mainly because of the battery and camera which makes the N80 unusable, but also because of some of the other problems you have mantioned here.

Nokia's reply to this in many emails about the N80 battery problem is that they do not see that the battery is a problem and have not received many complaints about the battery life.

I think they are in denial that their flagship phone is actually turning out to be a disaster...aslo if they do acknowledge that there is a problem with the battery, then I would assume by some consumer law then they would have to fix this problem.

It took a class action lawsuite for Apple to sort out the problem with the Ipod battery.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:07 PM

mike101 is on a distinguished road
I also work in a phone shop and i own the n80, i haven't had issues with mine and we have not had any returned, infact i sold our last one yesterday, no doubt we will get more in during the week.

Old 06-08-2006, 04:18 PM

saj0n1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike101
I also work in a phone shop and i own the n80, i haven't had issues with mine and we have not had any returned, infact i sold our last one yesterday, no doubt we will get more in during the week.

Rubbish! (nokia's obviosly paying this guy to post sunshine on a sh*t phone)

Ive just had my 2nd replacement handset from nokia and i aint even gonna power it up!

Old 06-08-2006, 05:14 PM

TazUk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by saj0n1
That's a little harsh..

I'm sorry that you've had such a negative experience with the n80, but your experience doesn't necessarily reflect everyone elses..
I've had my n80 since 15th May and have had no major issues with it - And no I'm not paid by or affiliated with Nokia (I wish).

Yes, like any bleeding edge technology item it doesn't live up to the hype - but then what does? The N80's still superior in every way to my last handset with comparable functionality - the iMate K-Jam.
and that's exactly what's right about it.

William Gibson

Old 06-08-2006, 05:39 PM

Torps is on a distinguished road
I agree... had the N80 for 2 days and realized it had too many features and wasn't good at all at perfroming them. luckily got a full refund from importgsm.com their customer service is great.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:07 PM

Olly is on a distinguished road
Hey OP,

I found the Handy Keylock sofware very useful with the phone, sofware link can be found on this site, although it would have been great if Nokia did include it.

The Active Standby can be altered to suit your needs: menu/settings/phone/standby mode/active standby apps.

The name thing with the messages bugs me also, but I'm used to it seeing as it was the same with the 6630

Last edited by Olly; 06-08-2006 at 06:29 PM.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:59 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Some complains, are specifications of the phone, like Battery! Even the phones with less demands and with better batteries don´t last long, what people expect from an N80? But 3Dot are mad... returns the phone!

Old 06-08-2006, 11:37 PM

GazP is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by saj0n1

Ive just had my 2nd replacement handset from nokia and i aint even gonna power it up!
Saj0n, youre not alone!

Ive gone through 9 n80 handsets now... each with there seperate problems.... its been a f**king nightmare. Luckily Vodafone have refunded nearly everything..

Although the handset I am currently stuck with, has the loosest slide i have come across so far. Some of the old ones where REALLY stiff, some were normal... this one answers on its self, hangs up on calls all the time because the slide falls slightly... etc

YOU'RE DOING MY HEAD IN NOKIA!

Old 07-08-2006, 04:58 AM

nub4sh is on a distinguished road
I dont have any major problem with mine but there are some minor ones. The slider is loose and i have it. My girlfriend have N80 but her's was so tight. And we both have the same problem.. IT FREEZES FOR 20 SECONDS WHEN SENDING SMS! and it SUCKS BIG TIME!

Old 07-08-2006, 06:03 AM

Jaime_Starr is on a distinguished road
I havent had a single problem with mine either I love the phone. The one small issue I had was installing lifeblog which someone here helped me find the right one but thats hardly a problem.
Perhaps I have a different firmware version and some issues were fixed.
It is by far the best phone Ive had in a long time. I had the N70 for a bit then the N90 and now this, finally a phone I love the look of as well as the features.
I also hate to break the news to those so against N80 or Nokia in general but ALL brands and ALL models are going to have SOME horror stories. Everything to do with electronics has horror stories to go with it doesnt mean everyone gets them or that they should be *avoided* As above Ive had no probs with my N80 or any Nokia but then I know people who have. Ive heard ALOT about SE (being slow and breaking within 6 months) & Motorola (just plain breaking) too doesnt mean most people dont have issues though.

Last edited by Jaime_Starr; 07-08-2006 at 06:28 AM.

Old 07-08-2006, 08:20 AM

mike101 is on a distinguished road
I am not lying, although our stock has been slow, we have probably had about 20 units since realease and every phone has just sold instantly and not one has been returned to our store so far.

I have the n80 with no problems as does my uncle and cousin, although i haven't spoke to my cousin since she recieved it so it may have developed problems.

I am not denying that the phone does have problems with some people, just i have never experienced one.

I would also know if one got returned while i am not working because everyone at work would say i told you not to get that.

Infact we rarely have nokia's or sony ericcson's returned mainly motorolas and samsungs.
Ads

Old 07-08-2006, 09:27 AM

cah1982 is on a distinguished road
a few things about the fone wouldnt bother me like , camer qulityon night the slider etc.

but its shit when it crash`s / freesers for no reason at all , or u reset it and it take over a min before its loaded and back to normal.

also the text messages where it resets and u loose the text u was doing. then theres the texxt mesage doesnt fit of screen so it moves it about.

even my 3310 got the text messaging right . Its discustin that a fone can meet the end user in this state. proper wish i bought the new sony or samsung one now.

Old 07-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
Beat me to it, I was going to post asking if the battery life got any better...it is pretty rubbish to say the least I find myself charging the phone on a daily basis...compared to the Nokia 9500 which I was previously using where I only charged it every 3-4 days it is very disapointing.

I'm sure we'll see some kind of higher capacity battery for the phone sometime in the near future, apart from this issue though there isn't a great deal wrong with the phone and I quite like it.

I guess the only solution at the moment would be to buy a few of these http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=113660 if you're planning on a long trip somewhere without a charger...not ideal though granted.